Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help! I need a car shipped!

I need a car shipped from East coast to Iowa ASAP.  Online sites abound, but it seems that nearly all are just brokers with flashy pictures and horrible reviews.  I had one on the phone who promised he could do everything I wanted, then I looked at his reviews - he's a pathological liar.

It seems every site looks different, but all connect to the same one or two brokers.  Apparently these guys promise the moon, sun, and stars, then they call "Bubba", who scrapes the beer cans out of his pickup, hitches up an ancient trailer, and arrives ten days to one year later.  He then drags a mud-encrusted plastic tarp off the remains of your car, belches in your face, and swears a lot.  

You then spend the next forever trying to get settlement, write reviews like the ones I've read, and scream fruitlessly.  I'm not willing to do this, and would more likely chain Bubba to the front porch until his handler arrived with a fistful of cash.  Then - if the car still ran - I'd drive over both of them.  I'd rather avoid this process altogether, and instead find someone who actually transports cars safely and on time, and who has an actual phone he will answer.

So, does anyone here have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Garry

When I sold mine , buyer used Fedex transport. Not the cheapest one by any means but car was delivered on time and in the exact same condition when it left me

Also, Ive been told this guy can do it,  hes a very active member of another forum I belong to  (  www.moparts.com )

6 Year Moparts Sponsor

Customer Feedback Click Here

Check the latest post below to see where I am headed to next ...

Vehicle transport determines parts transport availability

On most trips I have room to haul parts - routes are specific

Being Social ....

Instagram @ http://instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Twitter @ https://twitter.com/directautohaul

Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

I am on the road over 300 days a year in the lower 48 states ....

Direct enclosed transport from pick up to drop off
for your completed or project vehicle

I can haul your engine - tranny - parts with your car ...

34 feet fully enclosed
Up to 8000 pound capacity
94 inch maximum height

Direct from pick up to drop off
No transfer or trailer shuffle

Load & unload by wireless remote control winch
Four piece aluminum staged ramps
Low clearance vehicles - no problem

No driving your vehicle on & off the trailer

Safe daylight driving at 55 m.p.h.
I average 300 to 400 miles a day

No text messages ...

Thanks !

Jim
(260) 804-6695
drive

What about the shippers you see on the Mecum Auction on TV. I know Mecum has their own but I think the other is called Reliable. Since that's what they do primarily is ship automobiles that may be a good place to check. I'm sure it's going to cost more than you think, so maybe a one way plane ticket and a road trip is in order.      

My suggestion would be jump on the H.A.M.B. There are a whole bunch of reviews on various shippers on there and a couple of H.A.M.B. Alliance vendors that are shippers that have excellent reviews. And most of them don't care whether it's a new car or an old car as long as it has the paperwork in order they will ship it for you. And I know some of them charge different rates depending on whether it's a roller or a project or moves under its own power.

Check here for vendors advertising their services and reviews on said vendors.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-h-a-m-b-odex.12/

So far I'm drawing a total blank.  The good guys are booked until spring, and the rest are mainly scammers.  Anything associated with U-Ship looks VERY shady, lots of good reviews but most of them are from other transport companies, or are paid!  There's lots of listings (including several in my small home town), but they are mostly fake.  No addresses or false addresses, and all link to national brokers, aka scam artists.

It was easy to have this car built and shipped from Europe, but that last 1000 miles is proving exceptionally difficult!

Well broker doesn't necessarily equal scam artist. A lot of the freight on the highway every day went through a broker. If its something you're not willing to trust some of the companies listed above to touch rent a u-hual and trailer it's only 1000 miles and you know how it's been handled every step of the journey.

I'm learning a lot about this business.  Most is handled through the "Central Dispatch" website, where truckers and brokers can look for loads.  There are legitimate individuals in both categories, but they're pretty much impossible to sort out.  The problem seems to be that both will promise absolutely anything to get your deposit, but extremely few fulfill their promises.  

You book a car, they say "sure", then they sit there hitting refresh hoping to find more to fill the load - or they start off, only to divert 2 states away chasing another load.  And heaven help you if you're the first car loaded; your car could make several trips to both coasts before the stars align and they show up.  I couldn't believe it, but reviews and other sources confirm this happens routinely. 

"Transport Reviews" is another interesting site.  Lots of reviews for many companies, then you notice the small print on all the good ones: "User was compensated for this review":

Compensated.gif.49840a9b7bf6928dece4d41f51bad8d5.gif  < ridiculous scam  

Then there's the "local" listings.  I called two whose websites claimed they were within 15 miles of me, only to find they were actually in Florida or Arizona.  Another actually exists close by: Mike's 24/7 Transport.  24/7, right? No answer, and all voicemails full.  No thanks. 

I can't travel, but I'm seriously considering putting a hitch on my LX470, buying an enclosed trailer, and sending my son and a friend.  

Thanks much for the help, guys!  I ended up finding someone on the HAMB, very qualified and right on the route.  This is understandably a bad time to look for shipping, the car was scheduled to be ready sooner but you know how that goes.    

31 minutes ago, Harpo said:

Thanks much for the help, guys!  I ended up finding someone on the HAMB, very qualified and right on the route.  This is understandably a bad time to look for shipping, the car was scheduled to be ready sooner but you know how that goes.    

Glad you found someone. Got any pictures of the car??

It's a 1983 Citroen 2CV, completely restored to my specs.  It's made to handle Iowa winters with minimal corrosion problems; it has a new galvanized frame, stainless steel brake lines/exhaust/trim/hardware components etc, extra heater options and special rustproofing/undercoating.  Most of the car is new, all other parts are completely restored.  I've always wanted one, and building this model in May pushed me over the edge, I ordered the real one in June. :D           

• 2 weeks later...