Model Cars Magazine Forum

DeAgostini 1/8 1967 Shelby GT 500....Update! 2/5/19

MrObsessive

You're welcome Bruce! You know I'll be following along! I don't remember anything reallly troublesome about the kit except when it comes time to mount the dash. You might want to narrow it down a bit on the sides, along with the door panels. Otherwise, the leading edge of the doors may stick out further than they should when it comes time to mount those.

I don't know if you ran into this issue with your SuperSnake (CONGRATS on that!), but it's something to keep in mind as I had the early issues of the kit (2017).

Thanks for the well wishes, and the same goes out to you!🙂

49 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

You're welcome Bruce! You know I'll be following along! I don't remember anything reallly troublesome about the kit except when it comes time to mount the dash. You might want to narrow it down a bit on the sides, along with the door panels. Otherwise, the leading edge of the doors may stick out further than they should when it comes time to mount those.

I don't know if you ran into this issue with your SuperSnake (CONGRATS on that!), but it's something to keep in mind as I had the early issues of the kit (2017).

Thanks for the well wishes, and the same goes out to you!🙂

Thank you sir!!! The super snakes doors do stick out a little. Dash mods here we come! 

image.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Bill , I am on the ford GT. The doors are a pain. I have been on them for three hours and still not even close. Chipped paint on the edges. Making major mods to get them to fit. Let you know how it turns out. Horrible fit. Had to even cut some of the a pillar away. Very frustrating. Doors will not even close. Putting it away tonight before it becomes a airplane. 

64E05268-E885-4848-8390-6C59ABC091E9.jpeg

77C061E7-B4FE-4760-B227-93A4A6E1E835.jpeg

11B7739D-46D8-469D-8E54-B88DE2715819.jpeg

5 hours ago, Brudda said:

Bill , I am on the ford GT. The doors are a pain. I have been on them for three hours and still not even close. Chipped paint on the edges. Making major mods to get them to fit. Let you know how it turns out. Horrible fit. Had to even cut some of the a pillar away. Very frustrating. Doors will not even close. Putting it away tonight before it becomes a airplane. 

64E05268-E885-4848-8390-6C59ABC091E9.jpeg

77C061E7-B4FE-4760-B227-93A4A6E1E835.jpeg

11B7739D-46D8-469D-8E54-B88DE2715819.jpeg

WOOOOWWW!! 🤯

Thanks for the heads up Bruce! I haven't touched mine since pack #16.........the Shelby Green Hornet is priority now since GSL is coming up next year, plus there's one more I'd like to get underway for that.

DeAgostini just sent pack #22 the other day.........this is the rear section plus the two lower sides of the car. The doors when I get to that section, I'll definitely keep a close eye on that, and try to come up with how to get them to fit without such drama! I painted the inner door panels/jambs body color on mine.........I don't know if that will affect things much or not.

Someone in my model club is also building this. I'm going to drop him a line to see if he ran into the same issue, if he got that far along as of yet. If not, it'll be a fair warning! I don't know if you're a part of Modelspace's Forum. They have a number of guys on there building this too.

It looks like one of them came up with a good solution.

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

WOOOOWWW!! 🤯

Thanks for the heads up Bruce! I haven't touched mine since pack #16.........the Shelby Green Hornet is priority now since GSL is coming up next year, plus there's one more I'd like to get underway for that.

DeAgostini just sent pack #22 the other day.........this is the rear section plus the two lower sides of the car. The doors when I get to that section, I'll definitely keep a close eye on that, and try to come up with how to get them to fit without such drama! I painted the inner door panels/jambs body color on mine.........I don't know if that will affect things much or not.

Someone in my model club is also building this. I'm going to drop him a line to see if he ran into the same issue, if he got that far along as of yet. If not, it'll be a fair warning! I don't know if you're a part of Modelspace's Forum. They have a number of guys on there building this too.

It looks like one of them came up with a good solution.

Thank you sir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brudda said:

Thank you sir

A little better this morning. Not a great fit but ok. The doors are a problem. Like the GT 500 , not the best but ok. I received packs 20, 22 and 24. Did not need 20 , waiting for 23. I guess I’m spoiled on these kits, things should fit but sometimes they do not. . Added some thin shims to the doors. Drilled out the holes to the doors, 7/32 drill bit. Have to be careful as the drill will flip the part out of your hands. Hope yours is not as dramatic. 

3028371A-6C8F-42E1-8463-0D5E676F01FA.jpeg

BE99580C-0E1D-4452-99B9-0490E7C139F1.jpeg

1CB06382-9198-4882-8D1E-FEF1128083A1.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2019 at 8:11 AM, MrObsessive said:

Chuck it's funny that you mention this as this is exactly what I did a few days ago as you'll see in this mini update...........

First I gotta say that whatever DeAgostini used to paint their wheels, this was some TOUGH STUFF!

I tried using Easy Off (Yellow Can) to take off the paint and it WOULD NOT TOUCH IT! Same thing with brake fluid......some success, but waaaay too slow.

Soooo, I got the idea to start sanding away at the finish and see what exactly was underneath. I was seeing nice and bright, shiny metal! I then got out the Acetone and dunked the entire wheel in a metal can.

P1016608-vi.jpg

After much peeling away of the paint, I got out my polishing cloths starting with 1800 grit and worked all the way up to 12,000. Some constant washing of the cloths was needed as of course, this is some dirty stuff!

P1016609-vi.jpg

I did paint the brake caliper just a bit with some Alclad Magnesium to give just a bit of contrast with the rotor. As you can see here they give you this teeny-tiny screw to fasten the caliper to the rotor.

P1016612-vi.jpg
P1016613-vi.jpg

I did have to put the tire in my dehydrator set at 130° for roughly 15 minutes at a time. After several tries I FINALLY got the wheel inside the tire, but this was NOT without some cursing along the way! :o

Here's the wheel and tire all nice lettered up........something I haven't done in a very long time. And to think I get to do this THREE MORE TIMES!

I can hardly wait.

P1016615-vi.jpg

I'll polish up the wheel just a tad more, but at this point I'm done with this pretty much till later this week. Just getting the wheel and tire done alone was a real workout and to me it was a real tail kicker.

It's back to the '68 Corvette for now as I can see the next instructions for the Shelby is putting the seat together and of course another wheel and tire!

I'm thinking about adding brake and fuel lines so I need to dig out my references to see just where the brake line fitting goes in the calipers for this vintage (I have a shop manual) and also to get the 'right size' so things don't appear out of scale. I have to keep reminding myself this is 1/8 scale.

Thanks for tuning in!

Hey Bill, going over your wheel detail. Looks like alotta work. Do you think a dremel with polishing wheel would work? Either way it looks like alotta work. Love your results on your wheels. I’m going to give it a try. Tha

nks for your info on the wheels. 

On 9/15/2023 at 1:44 PM, Brudda said:

Hey Bill, going over your wheel detail. Looks like alotta work. Do you think a dremel with polishing wheel would work? Either way it looks like alotta work. Love your results on your wheels. I’m going to give it a try. Tha

nks for your info on the wheels. 

You can try that, but just be careful that you don't cut or burn into the metal itself. As you know the Zymak or whatever type metal they used is not as tough as your standard stuff, so I'd try the high speed wheel with a bit of caution. I remember trying that for a quick second I think on the back of one of the wheels, but my better sense told me to do it the slower way as I didn't want damaged parts that can be tough as heck to replace-----especially from DeAgostini at the time.

Frankly, I don't know why they painted the wheels in the first place. Every '67 Shelby I've ever seen whether it was live and in person, or in a mag never had painted wheels. They would have looked better just leaving them in bare metal IMO, and leave the option up to the builder whether or not they want to polish 'em.

6 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

You can try that, but just be careful that you don't cut or burn into the metal itself. As you know the Zymak or whatever type metal they used is not as tough as your standard stuff, so I'd try the high speed wheel with a bit of caution. I remember trying that for a quick second I think on the back of one of the wheels, but my better sense told me to do it the slower way as I didn't want damaged parts that can be tough as heck to replace-----especially from DeAgostini at the time.

Frankly, I don't know why they painted the wheels in the first place. Every '67 Shelby I've ever seen whether it was live and in person, or in a mag never had painted wheels. They would have looked better just leaving them in bare metal IMO, and leave the option up to the builder whether or not they want to polish 'em.

Yes sir! I used a dremel that has a variable speed. Put it on the lowest setting and it worked . I stripped the wheels with automotive stripper, sanded with 2000,  3000 then used the dremel. Painted the black and painted the lug nuts. Thank you for the directions. They came out nice. Before and after. 

IMG_9174.jpeg

IMG_9173.jpeg

• Like 2