Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 1978 1979 Thunderbird progress

Paul Hettick

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The body and exterior parts have been completed. The chassis is JoHan 72 Torino with added catyletic converters. The taillight and front parking lights will be cast in clear resin.  The interior and glass buck will be made once the body is cast. The red on the roof is textured paint to simulate a vinyl top.

DSCF8184.JPG

DSCF8186.JPG

DSCF8185.JPG

DSCF8187.JPG

DSCF8189.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing left to say..... it is a magnificent job of recreating a vehicle model that hasn't been done before.  I am completely impressed.  Personally, I never cared for these cars when they were produced, I always thought that Ford had two sets of designers working on the car..... one was responsible for the doors forward, and one for the doors rearward, and they never met to compare notes until the two sections were put together.  But hey, that is just me.... regardless, you must be very proud of the work you have done here.  It has taken a long time and the final result makes it all worth while..... This is what I think modeling is all about..... most anyone can assemble a kit and make it look great, but not everyone can create from nothing.... that is a true skill, and that separates you from the pack. ...... great job!   World-class!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Don Holthaus had a selection of 3 kits for sale at the big NNL a couple weeks ago, the Thunderbird was one of them. 

Of the Modelhaus fame?  I wonder if it is one of those special projects he mentioned that he would still take on after closing Modelhaus.

13 hours ago, peteski said:

Of the Modelhaus fame?  I wonder if it is one of those special projects he mentioned that he would still take on after closing Modelhaus.

Yes, Modelhaus  ,,but,, Yea, I guess so.

The person who posted the pic, it was of the T-bird and 2 other kits, said Don will only be selling  30 or 50 of each kit. I can't remember which it was now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 1:02 PM, lordairgtar said:

Any progress on this model? I really want one.

He's been selling them on e-bay for about a year now Gregg.

Break out your savings because they go high. I looked at a real '79 in nice shape last fall I could have bought for less. ?

And  for all the work he put into it, I'm glad to see he's getting a good price.

He has on on there now. I checked the past auctions and see the prices are coming down,, I'd expect , judging from the last few sold, that it'll go for around $350.

Edited by Can-Con

Yes, another of those kits just sold 3 hours ago for US $532.37. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1978-Thunderbird-resin-kit-1-25th-Ford-T-Bird-/154264617761

As others have mentioned, few have sold over the last few months, (I have been watching the listings), but way above my price range.  It's crazy!  Looks like Paul Hettick has a goose that lays golden eggs on his hands.  Good for him!  Maybe some day one will show up where I can actually find one in my price range,

Edited by peteski

On 1/3/2021 at 11:24 PM, peteski said:

Yes, another of those kits just sold 3 hours ago for US $532.37. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1978-Thunderbird-resin-kit-1-25th-Ford-T-Bird-/154264617761

As others have mentioned, few have sold over the last few months, (I have been watching the listings), but way above my price range.  It's crazy!  Looks like Paul Hettick has a goose that lays golden eggs on his hands.  Good for him!  Maybe some day one will show up where I can actually find one in my price range,

Hey that's my winner!!! The most that I have ever paid for a model, but it's also one that I have been wanting to build since I bought my real one back in '94 during my senior year. I hear I won't be disappointed with Paul's quality.

Edited by Railroad
Miss spelling.