Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 1978 1979 Thunderbird progress

Paul Hettick

Looking really good there Paul. I owned a '79 Cougar XR7, Silver blue, white interior white vinyl top, optional 351......at least until a drunk SOB hit it almost head on while on a 2 lane bridge while my wife was driving it. 4 months old. Was a great car.

Anyway, I'm liking how this is coming along.

10 hours ago, Railroad said:

Hey that's my winner!!! The most that I have ever paid for a model, but it's also one that I have been wanting to build since I bought my real one back in '94 during my senior year. I hear I won't be disappointed with Paul's quality.

Congratukations!  Nice to know it was someone on this forum.

I owned a '77 T-bird back in the late '80s.  It was mom's car, but I bought it when she got a good deal on an Olds Cutlass Supreme from mid '80s.  The T-bird was cream with brown roof and rocker panels, and brown interior.  It was heck of a smooth ride (last of the large cars I dove).  So to me this model also has personal connection, and I like its unusual "basket handle) look with the small window.  It was a handsome car.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, Bob Ellis said:

$300-500 is too much for a resin model. So, I guess I,m out too. There is a 3D print 1979 for about $100 out there.

Is that 3D model just a body, or complete kit?  Paul's is a full kit, with window glass, clear parts, plated parts, tires, and interior.  While the selling price so far  is out of my league, I'm sure the buyers will be happy with their purchase (assuming that they bought it to be built, not stashed and resold later).

Paul's is a full kit. I just got mine on Saturday. It's a simple build like the Johan Torino that Paul started with. The body is SUPERBLY done. I've already started mine and am very pleased with it. I looked at the 1979 Thunderbird on ebay before pulling the trigger on bidding on Paul's. It is just a 3D body, bumpers, grille, and rims. No interior or frame.

Edited by Railroad

On 1/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, Railroad said:

Paul's is a full kit. I just got mine on Saturday. It's a simple build like the Johan Torino that Paul started with. The body is SUPERBLY done. I've already started mine and am very pleased with it. I looked at the 1979 Thunderbird on ebay before pulling the trigger on bidding on Paul's. It is just a 3D body, bumpers, grille, and rims. No interior or frame.

Randy, is there a direct link to the one you saw on Shapeways? I've been to their site, but their searches are woefully cluttered. They never simply display what you're looking for. Way too much other stuff to wade through.

29 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

The Thunderbird on eBay is not nearly as nice as Paul’s. The windshield shape is completely and utterly wrong. The Johan Torino is the only kit that ever got the shape of the 72-79 Ford midsize windshield correct. This windshield is waaay too flat.

6BF0ECF0-9753-4639-946C-58064C4ED303.jpeg

The wheelbase looks off as well. My Parents had one when I was a kid. That car was super reliable.   

This is the person who is also doing Collonade GM cars (LeMans, Century, Cutlass, Grand Am). As far as I can tell, all are done from a Revell 1977 Monte Carlo body. This had a longer wheelbase than the others, so the bodies are all out of proportion relative to the correct wheelbase and shape. It had the same wheelbase as the Grand Prix and the sedans but the others were 4 inches shorter.  You can look at the bodies and see the front ends are way too long.  He also copied the Revell Monte Carlo or JoHan Cutlass chassis directly and copied the Monte Carlo or Cutlass interiors directly. So for the cars he is listing the interiors are all wrong for them. I'm not knocking the guy for trying to make a living as it's a free market out there but caveat emptor-check the details of what you are bidding on before you bid. If you want accuracy, check the details. Paul is known for meticulous attention to detail.

ebay lemans.jpg

On 1/6/2021 at 2:48 AM, Railroad said:

Hey that's my winner!!! The most that I have ever paid for a model, but it's also one that I have been wanting to build since I bought my real one back in '94 during my senior year. I hear I won't be disappointed with Paul's quality.

Nice to see one of them made it to Wisconsin. LOL  Ive been to Withee. I have a sister living in Loyal. We are related to many Dairy Farmers in the area.

11 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Nice to see one of them made it to Wisconsin. LOL  Ive been to Withee. I have a sister living in Loyal. We are related to many Dairy Farmers in the area.

Nice to hear that someone here has been in my tiny village. LOL. So far the T-bird is building up nicely. Paul truly is a master.