Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 1978 1979 Thunderbird progress

Paul Hettick

I can't believe that I just now found this thread - probably because I usually look for stuff like this in the aftermarket section of the forum.  I used to own a '77 T-bird and would love to have a model in 1:24/25 scale!  Mine was cream/brown. I still have few mementos from it like the hood ornament, and I think I have the Thunderbird script from the trunk lid stashed away too. The only model of it I own is a 1:64 scale diecast. Hopefully this one will be available for sale. 

As I can tell Paul, your model looks pretty darn good!  I hope that you will cast the front directional and the taillights in clear resin (assuming they will remain as separate pieces)..

Another model I would love to see is a '79-'85 Caddy Eldorado or a Seville of similar vintage (other than that TKM slush-cast thing).

For a bit of history, the body had the same color as this one, but the roof, trim and interior were brown (this one looks almost dark maroon).

57054303-770-0@2X.jpg

It has a 351 Windsor engine and it was a very smooth ride. This was the first and last car I owned which rode like a "boat": it floated on the highway. Very comfortable - nothing like today's cars.

I bought it from my mom and owned it for few years in the late '80s to early '90s. But the New England weather was not kind to it - rust ate it alive.  I remember the rear bumper mounts were rusting off so I had to tie the bumper up with some rope!  I drive it to a junk yard and left it there to die. :(  I wish I still had one like it - they are very rare nowadays, even at car shows or cruise nights.  My "toy" nowadays is a 1985 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz with just over 43,000 miles. Blue with stainless steel and vinyl top and white leather interior.  It is a great ride too, but not quite as smooth as the T-Bird.

Edited by peteski

Peter, I can still remember when this car was new in late '76 as a '77 model as I was in high school at the time. It was a real SHOCKER to myself and buddies of mine that were car guys when this car first showed up on the street. It was a TOTALLY different car than the one before which I always thought was just too big and ungainly looking.

FINALLY there's an accurate resin of one heading our way if Paul gets this one for sale.

I can't wait! :D

I want to add that I can't remember the last time I saw one of these cars running on the road. In my town right down the street from me was one that was parked in the same spot for many months at a store/apartment building. I never saw the car being driven, but from its appearance on the street it didn't look bad at all.

One day months ago I noticed it was gone, so I don't know if the owner of the car had it towed, or if someone bought it and simply drove it away. That was the ONLY one I had seen in quite a long time and even at the car shows while other '70's cars are starting to show up, I have not seen any 1977-'79 T-Birds.

16 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I want to add that I can't remember the last time I saw one of these cars running on the road. 

an elderly lady in my neighborhood has one and she drives it daily. her son just repainted it last year and it was originally a half vinyl top but when he painted it he left it off. if i remember correctly she said she's owned it for 40 years. i see her several times a week driving it.

Here's some more progress pics. The last pic are the front fender louvers in progress. The rear bumper is Revell 76 Torino narrowed slightly and the guards moved inboard. Very happy with the grill. The taillight does fit flush at the bottom, in the pic it is sticking out a bit. Not a whole lot left to do!

DSCF8083.JPG

DSCF8084.JPG

DSCF8085.JPG

DSCF8086.JPG

DSCF8082.JPG

17 hours ago, peteski said:

Wow! That looks like perfectly-proportioned injection-molded body!  You did an awesome job on the body moldings (those are often done oversize). Will the directionals/taillight lenses be molded in clear resin?

Ditto on that... VERY NICE!

Thanks all! Upon seeing the enlarged photos on my screen I see a lot crusty corners that need cleaning up, especially around the windows. I've fixed the gap above the right side of the tail light. Yes the interior will be started on soon. The taillight unit will either be cast in clear or clear red resin. I'll have one of each done and see which one details up the best. The front parking light is almost completed, will be cast in clear resin.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, Paul Hettick said:

Thanks all! Upon seeing the enlarged photos on my screen I see a lot crusty corners that need cleaning up, especially around the windows. I've fixed the gap above the right side of the tail light. Yes the interior will be started on soon. The taillight unit will either be cast in clear or clear red resin. I'll have one of each done and see which one details up the best. The front parking light is almost completed, will be cast in clear resin.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope that you cast the taillight lens in clear resin. That way it will be easy to mask and keep the backup light portion of it clear, while painting the rest of it clear red. Or (probably too much work) split the taillight into 3 pieces: 2 clear for the backup lenses, and the other one clear red for the taillights.   I really dislike when a model lens is cast in clear red even though there is an integrated clear backup lens in it. Painting that backup lens area with white or silver paint doesn't look good at all.

Edited by peteski