Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would this work for a paint booth?

So for years I have wanted a paint booth and I have seen various ways to make one. But I got my new Harbor Freight catalog the other day and spied this. I am thinking of mounting a sparkless fan on the left side outlet. It is made for blasting media, but I think I would work well for a nice dustfree paint environment. What do you all think?  blastcabinet.jpg.e6f44fbaab84c98f9b648818d22a96ce.jpg

I can get everything I need for under $100, which is pretty nice.

I built a paint booth like that using MDF and even purchased the gloves with retaining rings. The gloves are to stiff and bulky, I cut them back several times to make 'finger' gloves, then all the way back to the wrist. It then sucked in shreds from the glove liner and created a heavier vacuum around my arm bringing in anything on me(lint) and close to the cabinet.

Make sure to groud the metal cabinet  to help not generate static. Will need to add a filter bed. Keep in mind screen surface when setting painted parts as it will be an unstable surface.

Hope this helps.

John , it will do , it's just going to take a little additional work . You'll need a fan or fans of sufficient strength to evacuate the paint fumes from the booth ( probably from the bottom ) , filters mounted to allow dust free circulation ( back or top ) , a light or lights to see with ( front and top ) and figure out how you're going to keep the overspray off the inside of the glass . You my also be limiting yourself to painting one piece at a time if you don't want to open the booth until the part is dry ( and what do you do with the air brush when you're done ? ) or take a chance on overspray on the other parts in the booth ( to paint multiple parts ) and the gloves my be a problem moving your part around to be able to get full coverage with the glass being at the top , so a really secure handle would be needed .

If you just want a dust free container for the parts to dry in , an old vegetable dehydrator may be a cheaper option .

I built a spray booth out of a large projection tv cabinet , it's not enclosed but it works well and I probably have $40 in it .

1 hour ago, r60man said:

So for years I have wanted a paint booth and I have seen various ways to make one. But I got my new Harbor Freight catalog the other day and spied this. I am thinking of mounting a sparkless fan on the left side outlet. It is made for blasting media, but I think I would work well for a nice dustfree paint environment. What do you all think?  blastcabinet.jpg.e6f44fbaab84c98f9b648818d22a96ce.jpg

I can get everything I need for under $100, which is pretty nice.

Wow this is very cool.

Curious though, do you need to circulate air?   If so, why not a low volume of air if you can't wait for the paint fumes to settle.

Frankly, you could make something equally effective (or probably far better) using cardboard or Masonite, and saving most of the $100.

Having a paint booth isn't a guarantee of dust-free paint jobs anyway.

The primary purpose of a booth in modeling is to collect the fumes and paint dust before they enter the modeling room, and expel them outside (preferably after having been filtered to remove particulates ans some of the volatile components).

Getting a dust-free finish is more about careful prep, de-dusting oneself and one's immediate environment prior to painting, and thinking through the entire process.

But to each his own.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Frankly, you could make something equally effective (or probably far better) using cardboard or Masonite, and saving most of the $100.

Having a paint booth isn't a guarantee of dust-free paint jobs anyway.

The primary purpose of a booth in modeling is to collect the fumes and paint dust before they enter the modeling room, and expel them outside (preferably after having been filtered to remove particulates ans some of the volatile components).

Getting a dust-free finish is more about careful prep, de-dusting oneself and one's immediate environment prior to painting, and thinking through the entire process.

But to each his own.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

I built one from server/storage card board boxes, very heavy duty and weight was 30 pounds

It was open on the face of course and I made sure to vacuum and wipe down the environment before each spray session.  In fact the preparation took longer then panting.

The only reason I would like an enclosed solution is for the paint fumes and containing the over spray.  But perhaps this is good enough providing my area is dust free which it is/was.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=PASR2217&P=FR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItouXzv6D3wIVmFYNCh1bdAc5EAQYBCABEgKk1fD_BwE

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 10.37.03 AM.png

Edited by aurfalien

I have used open type boxes in the past, however the fans never collected all of the fumes, and my wife complained of violent headaches every time I painted a car. She can not use nail polish either. SO that was why I wanted to go fully enclosed.

I built one out of wood that's about the same design. If you go with that one, I'd suggest trying to modify it to a downdraft design. That's the preferred method. I looked at the dimensions and it's pretty small. Mine is 3' wide, 2' deep and 3' high at the back and sometimes, still not big enough. I use a 170 cfm bilge blower to evacuate the inside. It works fairly well.

Personally, I'd pay an extra $60 and get the Abrasive Blast Cabinet https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-62144.html 

It's a downdraft and much more roomy. I've got well over $230 in mine. Wish I'd looked around and found the blast cabinet first.

DSC_0022.jpg.jpg

21 minutes ago, r60man said:

I have used open type boxes in the past, however the fans never collected all of the fumes, and my wife complained of violent headaches every time I painted a car. She can not use nail polish either. SO that was why I wanted to go fully enclosed.

This is a good reason for the enclosed type. But I think the gloves will be a problem.  You could makes covers for the hand holes after you are done to try to keep the smell inside. 

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

I built one out of wood that's about the same design. If you go with that one, I'd suggest trying to modify it to a downdraft design. That's the preferred method. I looked at the dimensions and it's pretty small. Mine is 3' wide, 2' deep and 3' high at the back and sometimes, still not big enough. I use a 170 cfm bilge blower to evacuate the inside. It works fairly well.

Personally, I'd pay an extra $60 and get the Abrasive Blast Cabinet https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-62144.html 

It's a downdraft and much more roomy. I've got well over $230 in mine. Wish I'd looked around and found the blast cabinet first.

Wow, its pretty substantial;

62144_zzz_500.jpg

49 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

This is a good reason for the enclosed type. But I think the gloves will be a problem.  You could makes covers for the hand holes after you are done to try to keep the smell inside. 

Well, perhaps try having charcoal or a bowl of baking soda or vinegar inside the unit.  These may do a good enough of job in absorbing odor.

I've used these materials to absorb freshly lacquered large furniture.

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Mine are open and the 170 cfm bilge blower sucks all the fumes out of the booth and through an exhaust to the outside.

The big bulky gloves would have to go.