[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
NYLIBUD

Welp I Walked out to my mail box for no reason today ūü§Ē

Ok so¬†I get home from work today,I¬†go out to get my mail box,but¬†there is¬†none..My guy usually deliveries the mail around¬†around 2ish.So I wait,figure he got held up,even though it was after 5PM..Anyway,shortly¬†later,I find out that the reason the USPS isn't delivering mail today,is to pay its respects to the death and funeral of George Bush.I then find out that¬†the NYSE is closed,along with many¬†government offices,some banks,as well as the Supreme Court..Ok,maybe Im wrong,but I¬†don't¬†ever remember the government shutting down to memorialize a president's passing,except for Kennedy of course.Was that ever done before,just curious?ūü§Ē

Edited by NYLIBUD

Wondering the same myself.

I had not heard about that, explains a few things for me too.

Didn't happen for Ronald W. Reagan or Gerald R. Ford.

You wouldn't know it from the domestic press he got while he was President, but G.W. was very highly respected around the world for his international statesmanship, and also for the great things he did after he left the Presidency.  Don't remember Reagan or Ford really belonging in that strata. I suspect that History may treat him pretty well.

1 hour ago, TomZ said:

You wouldn't know it from the domestic press he got while he was President, but G.W. was very highly respected around the world for his international statesmanship, and also for the great things he did after he left the Presidency.  Don't remember Reagan or Ford really belonging in that strata. I suspect that History may treat him pretty well.

Apparently so,however GB jr is a whole different story:P.:lol:

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Didn't happen for Ronald W. Reagan or Gerald R. Ford.

It certainly didn't happen with Nixon! :D

Steve

I can remember Eisenhower's funeral as a kid in the late '60's ('69?). Did they shut things down for his funeral back then?

Any 'old timers' here remember that?

Edited by MrObsessive

This one was done through POTUS's Executive Order.

I believe this show of respect and honor of service for President Bush was President Trump's way of healing the riff between himself and the Bush family.

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It certainly didn't happen with Nixon! :D

Steve

I heard on the radio yesterday that Nixon didn't have a state funeral, at the request of the Nixon family. I do remember that all the surviving ex-presidents attended, though. 

While there are those that didn't agree with the politics of the day, He was the President and as such I think we should all reflect on his accomplishments and have a moment of respect for him and any other President as well. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

While there are those that didn't agree with the politics of the day, He was the President and as such I think we should all reflect on his accomplishments and have a moment of respect for him and any other President as well. 

I agree.

But giving government employees a holiday, many of whom didn't support president Bush in any way in the first place, seems a little over the top to me.

They could have reflected just like everyone else did yesterday........at work. :)

Steve

^^^

Write the President...it was his idea.

4 hours ago, mike 51 said:

^^^

Write the President...it was his idea.

Yea that's what I read too..Its the Oil tycoon,Rich boys club.If you have to ask,how much,then you can't afford it.

POTUS still owes me ten bucks going back to October1987. When I worked as a concierge at Trump Tower, he had me pick up a couple copies of Newsweek and NY Newsday because there were articles written about him in both. I figure, with compound daily interest (vig, six for five), he owes me $6,476,193.12. I won't quibble about the12 cents, though. I'm that kind of guy.

.........  think I've said this before......^^^ I enjoy this guy!  ^^^^

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

POTUS still owes me ten bucks going back to October1987. When I worked as a concierge at Trump Tower, he had me pick up a couple copies of Newsweek and NY Newsday because there were articles written about him in both.

You should have rolled up those magazines  and spanked him with them , maybe Michael Cohen would have paid you by now  :lol: