Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Family Truckster !

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I thought after the last redesigned GM could not possibly make the Silverado any uglier, they said , hold my beer, and sure enough, they made it even uglier, good gravey, that is hideous

I have to agree, man that is awful....

7 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I thought after the last redesigned GM could not possibly make the Silverado any uglier, they said , hold my beer, and sure enough, they made it even uglier, good gravey, that is hideous

My thoughts exactly. It's like they went back to the first generation Colorado pickup and said " Let's take this grille, make it a bit uglier, and slap it on the new 2020 Silverado".

I don't understand the truck designs of today regardless of manufacture. They all have started to look more like the Tonka Toys that my sons used to play with. Were I in the market today to buy another pick-up I would be looking at much older more appealing designs. To be PC incorrect, if I had a dog that looked like these new trucks I would shave his bottom and teach him to walk backwards.  

According to one of my best friends who was directly involved in automotive design for one of the the big three for decades,"If you don't like the current designs of today's automobiles,don't blame the car makers,blame government regulations that effect every facet of what you see on the road".

11 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

According to one of my best friends who was directly involved in automotive design for one of the the big three for decades,"If you don't like the current designs of today's automobiles,don't blame the car makers,blame government regulations that effect every facet of what you see on the road".

Tom, I couldn't agree more! It's the "Safety Sam's and Sally's" that have killed good design. Not that there aren't any nice looking cars out there, but there's a "sameness" that too many cars share.

Must all of the windshields have the same rake? I like a more upright windshield as it makes it easier to get in and out of. Must all of the C pillars on most coupes and sedans have that same dumb kickup at the base? BMW started that years ago and now everyone and their brother wants to copy it. All of the hoods need not slope at the same angle, but I see that trend disappearing. Now front ends are taller, but once again it's for 'pedestrian safety' and not for accommodating a stylist's fancy.

I tell you what.......you get hit by ANY car no matter how tall or short the front end is, you're gonna be a hurtin' or flat out dead!:o

Not that we need tailfins back on cars, but it would be nice if we once again had distinct styling cues so we can tell even from blocks away what's coming at us.

All I see is a company run by a woman who apparently doesn't have a clue, that just announced cutting 14.000 jobs in North America (not too long after one of the biggest financial bailouts in the history of the known universe) dumping another over-styled, overly-complex, and unnecessarily HUGE POS on the market, in hopes of attracting some of the buyers who don't want their cars anymore.

Good job, Mary Barra. You sure earn your $22 MILLION DOLLAR yearly pay.

PS: You do NOT get so deep in a hole of this magnitude overnight, and wake up one morning to find your company is on the rocks. It takes YEARS of a too-little, too-late management style, and following the market rather than leading it.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/29/why-gm-decided-to-cut-14000-jobs.aspx

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Car guys don't represent the conventional American car buyer. Any neutrally colored brick of composites will suffice as long as it's huge and chiseled. In their daily lives, across all consumer goods, younger consumers have not been as influenced by color and style as older consumers who were exposed to a whole different method of marketing and priority.

11 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I think the Ram looks a bit better than the other two:

I was just going to post this.

This can all be solved the same way that it has for decades........buy a Mopar! :D

Just kidding, but the Ram trucks do illustrate that regardless of regulations, a vehicle doesn't have to be ugly.

These hideous enormous front ends on the trucks is just the latest styling trend.

Hopefully it will die quickly!

Steve

image.png.92251e58eb13da5af2611ffbcfc69b9f.png

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

20 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I think the Ram looks a bit better than the other two:

Agreed, and by a wide margin. I could probably actually lust after the silver one Mr. Guthmiller posted...if you got rid of the waffle-cut french fries looking grille insert.  B)

It's still way too huge for the job it really does, but considering the alternatives...

I like it.

A new Silverado 2500 LT Trail Boss with the Duramax will make a perfect tow rig next summer.

The half ton is kind of funny looking, unless you go with the Trail Boss trim package. Eliminates the chrome and some of the extra trim, and adds offroad ability.

Oh wait, that's what I did.

20181113_120550.jpg

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Agreed, and by a wide margin. I could probably actually lust after the silver one Mr. Guthmiller posted...if you got rid of the waffle-cut french fries looking grille insert.  B)

It's still way too huge for the job it really does, but considering the alternatives...

I think that grille insert is specific to certain trims, like the Laramie Longhorn.  I like the regular Laramie grille.

8fb4e2eb9306c7241be24dd675282a09.jpg