Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Galaxie XL, 1/30.

StevenGuthmiller

I think I finally have all of the interior parts finished and ready for assembly.

The 2nd door panel is complete, seats are foiled, steering wheel is detailed and the window cranks, turn signal lever, horn ring & door lock buttons have been chromed with Molotow ink.

I have also fabricated a shifter and scrounged up a set of brake & clutch pedals.

The only thing that I have left to do before assembly is to carpet the floor with embossing powder.

I think that this may be the first time in...........forever, that I will finish an interior before the body is ready!

This interior just grabbed my attention for some weird reason. :huh:

Steve

2v2EQc2tqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQc2LjxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQc2rqxwUbWP.jpg

7 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Wow, can’t wait to see this completed. That color really makes that interior glow. There is certainly a lot of work going into all those pieces. 

Isn’t there a large center hub for the steering wheel?  Does the kit have it, or did you have to fab one up? 

I made the "flower pot" center cap.

There will be 5 separate pieces going into the steering wheel assembly.

The wheel itself, the horn ring, center cap, turn signal switch and a flasher button.

Not sure why I thought a flasher button was necessary, but why not. :P

Steve

A little more accomplished on the interior.

The arm rests and window cranks have been installed on the door panels as well as the horn ring and "flower pot" center cap to the steering wheel.

The floor is carpeted and the rear seat and clutch and brake pedals have been added.

The door panels will be added to the bucket next and then the underside of the bucket needs to be painted black.

Then the remainder of the parts can be added.

Steve

2v2EQTnFDxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQTqo4xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQTn8CxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQTqvSxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQTquCxwUbWP.jpg

The interior is finished, and I have to say, I'm quite proud of it.

It turned out pretty nice.

Here is a recap of the modifications that I did to it.

Door panels:

First, the door panels were removed from the bucket to make the modifications easier.

The door panels were extensively reworked by grinding out the old arm rests, window cranks and a portion of the trim.

The vertical trim panel and the pleats were the only thing left as original.

The pleats were all re-scribed and refined.

New trim, arm rests, window cranks, and door lock buttons were added.

The door courtesy lights were also added and the top portion of the panel was scribed to represent the chrome window channel trim.

Front seats:

The one piece seat and console assembly was first cut apart.

The seats were then modified by removing the lower "skirt" of the seat and adding re-worked seat bases from a Monogram '59 Cadillac.

Some detail was added to the seat back and chrome trim was added to separate the back from the seat upholstery.

Some bases were also added to raise the seats up slightly and to facilitate gluing into the bucket.

Steering wheel:

First the horn ring and center cap were removed from the steering wheel.

Then the steering wheel and horn ring were thinned considerably and "grip indentations" were filed into the wheel.

A "flower pot" center cap was scratch built and a blinker switch and flasher button were added to the column.

Dash board:

Little was done to the dash except the addition of a steering column collar, a speaker grille and defroster vents.

A gauge panel decal was also added.

Console:

Trim was added around the perimeter if the console, panel lines were scribed & a shifter was fashioned from the original kit boot and knob and a shaft made from a stick pin.

The rear seat and bucket are unchanged except for the addition of embossing powder carpets and a clutch and brake pedal.

Everything was then painted, detailed and chromed with both foil and Molotow ink.

Now I can concentrate on finishing the polishing of the body and then foiling can resume.

Then on to the engine and chassis.

So far I am pleased with how quickly this project is progressing.

Steve

2v2EQ5Em3xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5HR8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5HM8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5aZ3xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5akLxwUbWP.jpg

12 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

That interior is so sweet.  Makes me drool all over my keypad.  Really like the vinyl look on the seats.

Thanks Rick!

Luckily AMT did a really nice job of molding the upholstery detail on this kit.

I was quite surprised with the attention to detail with the upholstery texture and details like the stitching.

Steve

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

So far I am pleased with how quickly this project is progressing.

Steve

The weather sure helps don't it!  To darn cold to go outside.:blink: Absolutely fabulous job on that interior! What do you use to glue the embossing powder with and do you paint it after to get the color?

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

What do you use to glue the embossing powder with and do you paint it after to get the color?

I just use Elmer's white glue.

I thin it down slightly with water to make it easier to brush on.

The embossing powder that I have been using came in a set of 16 metallic colors.

As a general rule, I can find a color to use straight from that set without painting it.

If not, embossing powders can be mixed to a degree.

This one required a mixture of blue and green to get the shade that I was looking for.

I paint the surface to be covered with a color relatively close to the color of powder I will be using.

Then brush on the glue and sprinkle on the powder.........done! ;)

Steve

2v2uTyHFgxwUbWP.jpg

Haven't given up yet!

The firewall and inner fender wells on this kit had absolutely no detail of any sort except for a rudimentary master cylinder, which I removed to be replaced.

So I decided that I needed to add some wiring of some sort.

I didn't have any small coated detail wire to add later, so I decided to add some now.

I'll paint it all along with the firewall and chassis now, and then I'll pick out a few details with some paint later.

It just needed a little more going on under the hood.

Steve

2v2EK4615xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EK46pNxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EK46crxwUbWP.jpg