Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Galaxie XL, 1/30.

StevenGuthmiller

I too have been wanting one of these kits, but not going to pay collector price for a kit that is going under the knife.

I photoChopped one a while ago and want to build the resulting concept car. (see why here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/138289-this-is-why-i-want-to-find-an-amt-67-ford-galaxie-kit/)

will be following this build. 

Edited by blunc

After getting a little frustrated with trying to do some modifications on this interior tub while intact, I decided that I would cut it apart and transform it into a "platform" style interior to make detailing a little easier.

There was a lot more work involved than appears.

First, I had to grind off the obligatory arm rest that runs all of the way to the floor in most of these old kit buckets.

Then the window cranks were removed, which means that the pleats on the door panels needed to be reworked to eliminate all remaining evidence of them.

All of the pleats were re-scribed, deepened & re-shaped for a clean slate.

Then the old trim was removed and replaced with pieces o stretched sprue.

some filling, sanding, scribing and priming yielded a nice fresh panel to be detailed.

I will add a set of arm rests cut from an AMT '67 Cyclone's door panels, a door courtesy light, and a set of window cranks shaved from some other door panels when it's time to finish.

Need to finish the other panel & then a few mods to the dash and steering wheel and they will be ready for paint.

Body has had any modifications basically finished and is about ready for primer.

Steve

2v2EEPwQdxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEPweqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEPwJNxwUbWP.jpg

The interior modifications continue.

I made a few changes to the dash board, including a collar for the steering wheel, & I also added defroster vents by scribing them in.

I also cut a hole in the dash top & inserted a piece of an old grille for a speaker grille.

The steering wheel has had a lot more modifications than apparent at first glance.

First I removed the horn ring to be thinned & re-applied later.

Next, I ground out the center cap and added a locator pin to accept the scratch made "flower pot" center cap.

The entire steering wheel rim was thinned down considerably & "grip" detail was cut in.

The flower pot was made with a shaped piece of plastic tubing capped off with the center cap from the AMT '66 Ford Fairlane kit.

I still have one door panel to finish up & then most likely the console will require some tweaking if I decide to use it.

The interior is coming along well.

Steve

2v2EEdA9GxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdA1qxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdA4nxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdAVyxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdAYqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdAkgxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EEdAnFxwUbWP.jpg

Looks like maybe amt tooled up just the 500 and not the XLdoor panels...

67frdbrchintxl.jpg

edit- upon closer reading of the brochure, it looks an upgrade option on the XL interior to the LTD style panels with the flow-through ventilation.

Edited by mk11

18 hours ago, mk11 said:

Looks like maybe amt tooled up just the 500 and not the XLdoor panels...

67frdbrchintxl.jpg

edit- upon closer reading of the brochure, it looks an upgrade option on the XL interior to the LTD style panels with the flow-through ventilation.

I found a good photo of the standard XL interior trim, and Steve has hit the nail on the head. There was a rarely ordered luxury interior package as shown in the brochure which gives the seats and door panels an LTD vibe. I love this project!

Finished up the modifications on the console today.

The original piece had no chrome molding detail around the perimeter of the console or a glove box "button" so I added them using some Evergreen stock.

I also scribed in the glove box lines.

I realized that I had forgotten the glove box panel lines on the dash, as well as the leading edge of the door panels, so I scribed them in as well.

The interior should be about ready for paint and assembly.

Steve

2v2EHak8DxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHaknDxwUbWP.jpg

The interior is nearly complete in the modification department, now it's time to move on to paint.

The body has a coat of Testors primer, followed by 4 coats of Duplicolor primer/sealer.

First job will be the black top.

Then I will use a coat or two of Duplicolor gold touch up paint as a base.

Then the Lime Gold.

Hoping all goes well!

Steve

2v2EHif9yxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHifeqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHifbyxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EHiffqxwUbWP.jpg

Really love watching this build.  My aunt owned one of these, it was a white 390 auto and was her last "hot rod".  Her first was a black '61 390, 4 barrel, auto Starliner with dual factory exhaust.  That is the one she used to take me to town in on Saturdays, after mowing Grandma's yard and earning some money; straight to the model stores.  Her next was a black '64 Galaxie with the same engine transmission combination.  Don't remember why, but sometime in the mid 70's she gave the Ford to her brother and bought a four-door Pontiac - guess she "grew up".  Anyway, back to this build, you are doing some excellent detail work.

Color is on!

Looks a little bright in the fluorescent light in the first 2 photos.

A little more subdued in the last pic.

I will remove the masking on the roof tonight after the paint dries a bit, and clean the scripts.

Then it should be ready for a little more foil and detailing before clear coats.

Steve

2v2EeENi5xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EeENkyxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EeENmGxwUbWP.jpg