Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Isaac Dodge Daytona built 30 years ago

<profile removed>

I just came across a box of NASCAR models I built 25 to 30 years ago. They have held up pretty well thanks to the AMT Sho-Cases being fairly air tight. Anyway, I figured I would post some pictures showing the "state of the hobby" a couple decades ago. Yes, this is somewhat crude and innacurate by today's building standards but it will look ok on the shelf, I think. Unfortunately, the decals have started to yellow a bit. So, the model...and I am going to ask for some help as to the source...I got the body and nose cone in a box lot of beaters at a swap meet. I think it was a stock body, not the NASCAR kit. You'll notice the door scoops are molded on (these were not glued on) and they cover the character vents. I have never been able to figure out which kit this came from. Any ideas? The chassis, interior and roll cage are from an original General Lee kit, the one released in the day (before the back seat was added.) The wheels are from the Dodge Monaco 2 door police car. I believe that was called Force 440. They just looked right to me. The rear wing is a resin item and the decals were JNJ. The rear window straps are just black pinstriping. The taillight cover and front spoiler are sheet plastic. I didn't have access to all the reference materials we now have and realize the taillight panel should have been black, but in honesty, I really like it in red. I have to admit, it was kinda cool rediscovering some of my youthful builds. Thanks for looking!

DSCN0358.JPG

DSCN0361.JPG

DSCN0362.JPG

DSCN0364.JPG

DSCN0367.JPG

DSCN0369.JPG

Edited by AMC ROB

Dang, this build still looks really good to my eye!  Its good to see vintage kits from the past; especially when they "hold-up" so well!  All of mine are long gone, and I really regret it!  Love to see some under-the-hood pics and what this build looks like from the bottomside, too!

Some one correct , but wasn't this kit produced a couple times. One where it had said door scoops and one where it had the correct depressions like on the 1/1 ?

One with a somewhat stock chassis and one with a full nascar chassis

Notice slightly different boxart

mpc-k-insurance-71-nascar-charger_1_5ba3

mpc-1969-70-charger-daytona-k-ins_1_54df

Edited by gtx6970

On 12/7/2018 at 10:31 PM, '70 Grande said:

Dang, this build still looks really good to my eye!  Its good to see vintage kits from the past; especially when they "hold-up" so well!  All of mine are long gone, and I really regret it!  Love to see some under-the-hood pics and what this build looks like from the bottomside, too!

Thanks...alas, the engine and undercarriage are box-stock General Lee mostly in flat black. Nothing inspiring.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, gtx6970 said:

Some one correct , but wasn't this kit produced a couple times. One where it had said door scoops and one where it had the correct depressions like on the 1/1 ?

One with a somewhat stock chassis and one with a full nascar chassis

Notice slightly different boxart

mpc-k-insurance-71-nascar-charger_1_5ba3

mpc-1969-70-charger-daytona-k-ins_1_54df

I believe that MPC did have two releases of kit #731 in 1970. On one the box art said DAYTONA and on the other the box art said CHARGER DAYTONA, but the internal contents were the same. A corrected Charger Daytona race body (without the door scoops) and a full race NASCAR chassis was released as the Richard Brooks NASCAR Charger in 1972.    

mpc daytona.jpg

brooks daytona charger.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

Other than the box art , the two MPC Daytona kits are the same ! It’s funny that MPC tooled the body with the R/T door scoops , although it has been speculated that a 70 Daytona was to be built . Some even speculate that it was to be an R/T as well . Have that kit and have yet to figure out what way to build it !

The MPC Daytona NASCAR kits are different, the #71 K&K Insurance car and the #22 Brooks car is not the same.

The #22 Brooks Daytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/nascar/mpc-richard-brooks-/

The #71 K&K Insurance Daytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-dodge-charger-d/

2 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

Funny I just thought of a perfect build for the kit , a what if Richard Petty 70 Daytona ( if Chrysler had changed their mind and let Richard have the Dodge instead of building the Bird for him)! Nevertheless nice build on the Issac car!

Goody's Headache Powders did just that! (Well, maybe not a '70, but still...)

Goodys1.jpg

Edited by AMC ROB

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...