Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Dyno Don Maverick

afxmustang

I saw the post on the ACME Facebook page where Jim Kampman posted as a request from Dave Burkett (Model King) as to whether or not there would be any interest in the following kits to be created and released.

69659805_8316724313482854400_o-vi.jpg

76326471_5601188625921343488_o-vi.jpg

92993136_2544921053780508672_o-vi.jpg

No mention that they would be done but if there was any interest. I don't know what this all means but I'm sure if this a serious inquiry with potential then there will be plenty of discussion in days to come. Either that or this is someones demented early April fools joke. I'm sure that if there's merit behind this then it's a forgone conclusion that there would be huge interest in any, if not all, of these suggested potential kits.

I have no doubt there would be support for a new tool Grumpy's Toy Vega or Dyno Don Maverick.  The real question is how many of us would support the Factory Stock Maverick's and Vega's that would have to be tooled and sold before the Drag version.   That's the nature of the Model Car business today.   

Steve

I'd have to buy a couple of those Mavericks and Vegas for sure! Both of those have a great potential for different kinds of builds... And I've been watching the old Jo-Han Mavericks on eBay often, but unfortunately they're too expensive. Same thing with the old Vega promos, they're not cheap either. I certainly hope that Moebius would release both of them, but as someone said earlier, I'm not holding my breath. The Power Wagon is on the edge... The car itself is not so interesting to me, but if there was a Moebius-quality kit of one, I would consider it at least.

The Maverick could conceivably be tooled as both Stock and Pro Stock, but the Vega would have to be done as the drag version only.  It's just too different from stock.  A stock Vega kit would be a non-starter anyway.

I'd like to see the early Novas on the shelf before they start teasing us with something even farther down the line. 

That said, I'll be in for a Grumpy Vega and probably a Maverick too. I have a JoHan Ed Shartmann to restore and a Comet new in the box, but I guess I could use another one. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The Maverick could conceivably be tooled as both Stock and Pro Stock, but the Vega would have to be done as the drag version only.  It's just too different from stock.  A stock Vega kit would be a non-starter anyway.

Good point Mark,  the Vega would have to be a dedicated Pro Stock kit.  You could probably get 3 versions by doing the early and later noses of the Vega's and by doing a Chevy Monza too. That's the only way to make it cost effective.   I seem to recall somebody ran a Pro Stock Pontiac Astre too,  I'm not sure you could sell enough to pay for the changes. 

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

I seem to recall somebody ran a Pro Stock Pontiac Astre too

Bert Straus:

ccw.jpg.57ec4a32e8335c80af201b4c08b60e7e.jpg

One of those odd GM Canada things where they got the Astre a few years before the U.S. did.

I'd just as well wait for the  ex-JO-HAN tooling/kit, last seen as a Mercury Comet 'Pro Street', to reappear, as I have my doubts a stock Maverick or Vega would sell well. Even with alternate Pro Stock versions, it sounds risky.

If they do a Maverick. Stock with a 6 or a 302. Regular driver 2 and 4 door.  Grabber and the different size bumpers for different years. I just want a small bumper Grabber with a 302.  Then you could do the race versions, Gapp and Roush did run a 4 door maverick. 

The Power wagon could be done in so many ways as a truck and also as the Military versions. Good use of the tool. 

The Vega no interest. But they also do not have an agreement with GM and that is why the Nova's/ Chevy II's are dead in the water.  

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

But they also do not have an agreement with GM and that is why the Nova's/ Chevy II's are dead in the water.  

Pretty sure if small "one man" operations like Galaxie and Salvinos JR can magic up GM licensing, Moebius wouldn't have an issue either. The new Fords are just further in development because they share a mess of the tooling with the first batch of F-Series kits.