Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Dyno Don Maverick

afxmustang

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

If they do a Maverick. Stock with a 6 or a 302. Regular driver 2 and 4 door.  Grabber and the different size bumpers for different years. I just want a small bumper Grabber with a 302.  Then you could do the race versions, Gapp and Roush did run a 4 door maverick. 

The Power wagon could be done in so many ways as a truck and also as the Military versions. Good use of the tool. 

The Vega no interest. But they also do not have an agreement with GM and that is why the Nova's/ Chevy II's are dead in the water.  

4-door Mavericks had a longer wheelbase, so that would require a different chassis than the 2-door, in addition to the different body, interior, and side glass.  Aside from Gapp and Roush, don't think anyone else ran a 4-door Maverick in pro stock (at least that's the only one that people remember and would be interested in building).

There might be about 100 people worldwide interested in building a stock 4-door Maverick, so tooling one up would be a financial disaster.  This is the perfect example where resin would serve a niche market.  I thought someone did cast a 4-door Maverick already.  Don't recall who it was or when I may have seen it, since I have zero interest.

As far as no agreement with GM, that's nonsense.  Moebius has already produced the '61 Pontiac Catalina and Ventura kits.  Now, I realize Moebius has been sold to Pegasus, but there's no reason to assume they won't be able to get new licensing agreements, if necessary.

My big concern is whether or not Pegasus continues to allow Moebius to develop new automotive subjects.  I suspect their main interest in buying Moebius is the sci-fi side of the business, and the automotive stuff may be low priority/no interest.

Edited by Robberbaron

3 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

4-door Mavericks had a longer wheelbase, so that would require a different chassis than the 2-door, in addition to the different body, interior, and side glass.  Aside from Gapp and Roush, don't think anyone else ran a 4-door Maverick in pro stock (at least that's the only one that people remember and would be interested in building).

There might be about 100 people worldwide interested in building a stock 4-door Maverick, so tooling one up would be a financial disaster.  This is the perfect example where resin would serve a niche market.  I thought someone did cast a 4-door Maverick already.  Don't recall who it was or when I may have seen it, since I have zero interest. 

Perry's Resin did a 4dr Maverick at one time, another caster may have also.    Such a boring car, couldn't imagine much demand for one in 1/25th. 

4 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

As far as no agreement with GM, that's nonsense.  Moebius has already produced the '61 Pontiac Catalina and Ventura kits.  Now, I realize Moebius has been sold to Pegasus, but there's no reason to assume they won't be able to get new licensing agreements, if necessary.

I forgot about the wheelbase difference.  But my point was about different uses for the tooling. 

The no agreement with GM about the Nova's/ Chevy II was right from the horse's mouth at the Detroit NNL. 

PLEASE READ COMPLETELY..THANKS...I did these proposed Mockup boxes along with the Dyno Don, Grumpy's Toy and the Dodge Power Wagon for Dave Burket in 2011 and 2012 along with others,I have no knowledge about any of these EVER being produced as The Model king Dave Burkett and I were spitballing possible new kits, here are some others I did at the same time.That doesn't mean ANY of these will EVER see the light of day as the time involved and the tooling costs.So don't think because there is a mockup artwork that these will be made these all were just concept ideas and Dave is feeling the waters for input with the Dyno Don Grumpy and Power wagon Concept Boxes..Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see them all done LOL

Model King 33 Willys Pisano.jpg

Model King 33 Willys.jpg

Model King 55 Chevy Gasser.jpg

Model King 61 Pontiac Drag.jpg

Model King 68 Hemi Cuda.jpg

Model King Bagshaw Challenger.jpg

Model King Bagshaw Dart.jpg

Model King Dodge Demon Stock.jpg

Model King Dodge Demon.jpg

Model King Ford Ramp.jpg

Edited by kitswapper

A Maverick and a Vega would be good as the original kits don't exist anymore except as high-priced eBay fodder. To make the tooling go further, I would want to see a stock version as well as a drag version. Start with the 1970 version and the tool could be updated to make the facelift 1974-up versions later.

Both the Maverick and Vega would take a lot of new tooling instead of puling out existing molds and crafting new decals. The Jo-Han Maverick was an exceptional kit in its day. The interior tub and chassis would take recreating to fit today's market IF the other molds were to magically appear. MPC did the Vega. That kit would be successful as a nostalgia kit but lacks a lot compared to a modern kit. The best thing would be to retool and start over. The body is the only item that meets today's standards. I'd love to have the gassers and the pro stocks. I'd also love the winning lottery ticket.

16 hours ago, Force said:

Yes please, bring the Pro Stockers and I'll buy them immediately.

This, only almost immediately in my case. :lol:

No interest from me on the stock versions, or the Power Wagon.

I would actually be in for all the ones that kitswapper posted, realizing that it would probably never happen.

Russ

Edited by russosborne

10 hours ago, kitswapper said:

PLEASE READ COMPLETELY..THANKS...I did these proposed Mockup boxes along with the Dyno Don, Grumpy's Toy and the Dodge Power Wagon for Dave Burket in 2011 and 2012 along with others,I have no knowledge about any of these EVER being produced as The Model king Dave Burkett and I were spitballing possible new kits, here are some others I did at the same time.That doesn't mean ANY of these will EVER see the light of day as the time involved and the tooling costs.So don't think because there is a mockup artwork that these will be made these all were just concept ideas and Dave is feeling the waters for input with the Dyno Don Grumpy and Power wagon Concept Boxes..Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see them all done LOL

Model King 33 Willys.jpg

Model King 55 Chevy Gasser.jpg

Model King 61 Pontiac Drag.jpg

Model King 68 Hemi Cuda.jpg

Model King Bagshaw Challenger.jpg

Model King Bagshaw Dart.jpg

Model King Dodge Demon Stock.jpg

Model King Dodge Demon.jpg

Model King Ford Ramp.jpg

Beautiful stuff! I love your thinking on what could be done. And what the box art would look like. A few I have no interest in. But in general I love it. A few of these kits, would get my money if they existed. Thankfully the Pontiac does. Not with your box art of course. But, it's out there, and Moebuis has received money from me for that one. Maybe some of the others, someday? 

12 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Most , maybe even all the above please.

I'd be in for at least half of them. Even the '55 Chevy. Yeah, we already have a '55 post coupe, but I've been working on one lately and the whole front end of that thing is a mess. I've even given thought to maybe acquiring an old Revell '55 HT kit and seeing if the front fenders/hood/grille/pan will fit on the AMT body. :angry:

I think a Two Lane Blacktop 55 is on the wishlist of anyone who's a fan of the moviecar and builds models. I'd love to see a brand new Revell tool with this specific car like the other "One purpose" kits like the Foose ford and F&F Dodge charger. Thing is, the subject matter alone would sell the kit. the possibilities are endless with a street style gasser. Just like the Foose truck... everyone who said was a One Trick Pony, they were sure fooled.

When Revell was in Full "New Tool Mode" back 10 or 12 years ago, why they didn't do a 55 Sedan is beyond me anyhow. I think as Gassers go, it's probably one of the most popular cars to straight axel IMO.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:45 PM, kitswapper said:

^ I don't see this one as being worth the effort. Though not perfect, the AMT kit suffices for 94% of builders.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:45 PM, kitswapper said:

Model King Ford Ramp.jpg

^ This one makes a lot of sense, especially in light of the forthcoming version with the utility bed. Not sure it would be worth Moebius' time and money to create the new frame, exhaust, rear suspension, wheels, tires, etc., but I think it would sell just fine as a stand alone kit. Round2 would likely reissue the Racer's Wedge, though, stealing some sales, but there always seems to be plenty of demand for a ramp bed/body.

Or you can scratchbuild a roll-back style ramptruck to fit an individual style. I doubt Moebius would be able to satisfy the majority of modelbuilders. Maybe a universal bed and frame would make everyone happy, lots of critics in the Modelcar world, sadly. I guess everyone has an opinion or something like that. 

I'd build it though lol...

Screenshot_20181215-115944.jpg

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Or you can scratchbuild a roll-back style ramptruck to fit an individual style.

I can't recall seeing a rollback nor beavertail style truck bed used for hauling race cars in the late-'60s to mid-'70s, and while there were many variations on rampbed trucks, I think the MPC Racer's Wedge does satisfy the minority. If Moebius chose to release something similar along with the truck to mount the bed too, even better for the majority of buyer who want everything included in one kit. A proper set of late '60s-early '70s duallie steel wheels and tires (as shown on the rear of Jim's mocked up image/truck) alone would guarantee some sales, as only the high-dollar crews could afford aluminum wheels back then, and I'm not even sure how commonly available they were back in the day, either.

I don't think any of the below rampbeds are identical, but they are all very similar.

rt5.jpg

rt2.jpg

kelly-chadwick-1968-ramp-truck-2.jpg

ee5.jpg

2653315110033732935S600x600Q85.jpg