Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ford GT Le Mans, 2016 GTE Pro Winner

Jhedir6

Got the first of what will be a few Ford GT's in today (three this time around and another on the way). 

I'm really impressed so far with this kit. It's much better than the C7R. There is room for improvement and Revell does things weird, but hey, it's here and it doesnt cost $200+, so for the price point I'll fix or correct what I dont like.

I'm home all weekend and the weather is looking crappy so I'll be making some headway on this all weekend, for now a teaser.

20181207_180628-vi.jpg

13 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

This will most likely be my first Ford subject in decades.  Is the body 2 separate pieces?

Ismael, yes, its two pieces. The red part in the shot is one piece, the roof, the butress' and the rear fenders/rockers are one piece and the white/blue center is the other, makes painting much easier.

10 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

I suppose it only has the LeMans 2017 decals. Right?

Yes, but there is very little difference in the sponsorship decals from year to year. You can likely mix and match to get the car you want. 

Fola from Slotfabrik is working on a set of decals for the IMSA cars (66 67) that should be ready next week sometime.

The original Ford GT was IMHO one of the most beautiful cars ever built - it was sexy, powerful, and just exuded performance.  Now this one comes along and shatters that opinion..  Looking forward to your build of this gorgeous beast.  Those are some really nice, crisp separation lines on the paint.

Wait,  Revell does it again! 

The kit has decals for the 2016 Le Mans winner car #68,  which makes sense.

But the boxart is showing the 2017 car #66 and calls the kit a 2017....   (Insert facepalm here)
Note that in 2016 the big side number is in the back fender/sail/whatever, right ahead of the rear tire.  In 2017 the number moved to the door forcing the Ford EcoBoost decal to relocate. At least the cars are basically the same.

Not as gross as their C7R which shows the 2016 Daytona  winner on the box, the decals are for that car but the model is a 2015 spec.  (Insert a second facepalm here)

Sorry for the anal-retentive rant.  We now continue with the nice build David is doing, already in process.  :)

Thanks,

19 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

Wait,  Revell does it again! 

The kit has decals for the 2016 Le Mans winner car #68,  which makes sense.

But the boxart is showing the 2017 car #66 and calls the kit a 2017....   (Insert facepalm here)
Note that in 2016 the big side number is in the back fender/sail/whatever, right ahead of the rear tire.  In 2017 the number moved to the door forcing the Ford EcoBoost decal to relocate. At least the cars are basically the same.

Not as gross as their C7R which shows the 2016 Daytona  winner on the box, the decals are for that car but the model is a 2015 spec.  (Insert a second facepalm here)

Sorry for the anal-retentive rant.  We now continue with the nice build David is doing, already in process.  :)

Thanks,

Sorry Ismael, this is the 2017 car with the 2017 decals. I have a set of 2016 decals I picked up off of ebay (I'll add a pic of the decal set later on) I think they actually might have been test decals from Revell cause they're actually die cut and not just printed on a single sheet of decal paper. They're a bit thinner (less opaque) than the kit decals. I'm mixing the two sheets to make it as close to the 2016 car. I'm going to have to touch up a few spots where the decal isnt big enough but shouldnt be too noticeable at the end cause I'm going to weather it up a bit. 

I agree tho, no idea why Revell would do the 2017 car when the 2016 car won it's class and the box art kind of hints that the car won with the checkered flag. I also dont understand why Ford wouldnt insist on the 2016 car, but hey, maybe it's just me. They also got the roof wrong, the big pod on the roof, I removed it, is an IMSA transponder I believe, and is not correct for Le Mans. It should have been a part to add on if you wanted an IMSA car. Also there are no antenna's included, another small oversight. I still think Revell and other companies should be using people who build kits as part of their development team and can point out things like this. 

Edited by Jhedir6

2 hours ago, ismaelg said:

If I may ask, Where did you get the kit?   Mail order is my only choice and I can't find it stateside on ebay, Amazon nor some other outlets I've tried.

And I promise I'll shut up :)

I ordered online from the UK. Hiroboy and another FB vendor.

Rolling chassis almost complete. I need to add in the top roll bar and then do some touch ups. I also have to add the decals to the side diffusers as well. Almost done with the body decals then I can get it off to clear. So far the kit has gone together quite well, but I'm not real happy with the engineering of the roll cage, the mounting points for connecting them arent very good and need to be better on future kits, other wise everything else isnt too bad. There are a ton of decals on this kit, way more than you'd think looking at the outside of the car, lots of tiny decals on the interior. 

20181210_113452-vi.jpg

20181210_113518-vi.jpg

20181210_113546-vi.jpg