Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sometimes I hate Hobby Lobby

Went there the other day and saw all their plastic models were on sale for 20% off, so you can't use a 40% off coupon for a sale item.

Not to mention all their high dollar items like airbrushes are "special priced" (which is still higher than most places), so you can't use a 40% off coupon for a "special priced" item.

3 hours ago, El Roberto said:

Went there the other day and saw all their plastic models were on sale for 20% off, so you can't use a 40% off coupon for a sale item.

Not to mention all their high dollar items like airbrushes are "special priced" (which is still higher than most places), so you can't use a 40% off coupon for a "special priced" item.

Yeah, that's a great sale, you can get a kit for 20% more than you usually can. Mine just got the 70 Chevelle and 72 Nova in the other day, glad I don't want either of those.

54 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

In 2-3 weeks it will be back to normal, so unless you GOTTA have it now, wait and get it with the 40% off coupon. Hobby Lobby puts all of their model kits on sale at this time of the year, no surprise to those of us who have been shopping there for years.

Exactly.

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

In 2-3 weeks it will be back to normal, so unless you GOTTA have it now, wait and get it with the 40% off coupon. Hobby Lobby puts all of their model kits on sale at this time of the year, no surprise to those of us who have been shopping there for years.

That's what I had in mind, I can still use the 40% off for paint, or display cases, or other stuff. They don't really have any kits that I don't already have, or don't want anyway.

1 minute ago, RichCostello said:

That's what I had in mind, I can still use the 40% off for paint, or display cases, or other stuff. They don't really have any kits that I don't already have, or don't want anyway.

That is my problem too Rich! I went yesterday and would up buying some paint and glue.

You can tell them to charge you regular price and use your 40% coupon, I have done this many times. Mine had the Ford Lightning and I will be picking one up Wednesday. The guy who works in the model dept. said the closeout should be in March so I will grab some kits I have been on the fence about @ 75% off.

9 hours ago, JohnU said:

I really have no use for Hobby Lobby for models or supplies in my neighborhood. Whoever is maintaining this isle apparently could give a rats “you know what” about it. Kinda reminds me of a Michael’s model section! 

My Hobby Lobby model section is well done. They have a fair selection of paints and supplies. Michaels on the other hand....

One thing needs to be said. If you buy 3 or more kits that are the same price, the 20% off is cheaper. If one kit is more expensive than the others, the 20% off is better when the cheaper kits add up to more than the most expensive one. if the kits are the same price,  there is no difference when you buy 2 kits at 20% or 1 kit at 40% and 1 kit at full price.

7 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

One thing needs to be said. If you buy 3 or more kits that are the same price, the 20% off is cheaper. If one kit is more expensive than the others, the 20% off is better when the cheaper kits add up to more than the most expensive one. if the kits are the same price,  there is no difference when you buy 2 kits at 20% or 1 kit at 40% and 1 kit at full price.

Why not go through the register three times and buy all the kits at 40% off?

I have the 40% off coupon bookmarked on my iPhone.  Most times I have trouble finding anything I want to buy, many times I just buy another can of Testors flat black or dullcote with it.  And if the lines are long, and I have to wait, it costs them a lot of money, because I let everyone on the line know about the coupon!

Tom, you sort of touched on the reason that I didn't mention- time. Besides the time standing in line, it takes me about 40 minutes to do a round trip to HL and it takes about $2.50 in gas ( I live in CA). Also, using a coupon three times means three trips to HL. Even if I go there when we are running errands, the HL is not close to our other shopping locations.

6 minutes ago, 58 Impala said:

My Hobby Lobby always has a good selection of kits. But they got wise, their kits used to be $22-$28 and then you could use the 40%. Now they've raised all their kits to $29.99 or higher so you don't get as good a deal as you used to.

40% off of $29.99 works out to about $18.00 plus tax, not a bad deal in today's economy. When I go to shows, new releases (like most of those found at Hobby Lobby) are about $22-25, so Hobby Lobby isn't such a bad deal if that is your only game in town like it is for me.

To Vince's point, if you are buying a couple of kits at one time and time and money are a factor, then getting 20% off of all kits isn't a bad deal, provided you aren't just stockpiling kits.

We all have our reasons to shop or not shop at Hobby Lobby.

It should also be noted, that this 20% off sale they do at this time every year isn't for us hard core modelers. It's to entice the person shopping for presents. They see the 20% and can buy multiples to cover many people on their list.

I'd be willing to bet that sales of Mustangs and Camaros see a spike this time of year as well. When the general public is shopping for random presents they go with what's most familiar. Name recognition= sales

Vince, nothing says that you can't put your recent kit purchase in the car, and turn right around and go back through the line with another kit & Coupon.  I usually pick a different cashier, but I don't think it is really a problem for HL. I've done it many times.

I use the coupon on my phone because I don't get the newspaper, so once it is scanned I can't use it until the next day.

Besides, I was just pointing out the options for the use of the 20% off sale, not discussing various tactics for using the 40% off coupon. As many have observed, all Hobby Lobby stores do not operate the same way. My store will not charge full price and the 40% off coupon on a sale item, for example.

12 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I'd be willing to bet that sales of Mustangs and Camaros see a spike this time of year as well. When the general public is shopping for random presents they go with what's most familiar. Name recognition= sales

Sounds like a safe bet! I was in a Hobby Lobby just today. (Anderson, SC, for anyone passing thru).  Near the model aisle, I saw a cart full of Revell '67 and '69 Camaro kits, Snap '06 Mustangs and some others.  They all had regular-price stickers on them.  I got excited and thought they might be headed for the Clearance section.  Asked a woman who was re-stocking.  She said no, those kits had just come in and were headed for the model shelves...at the regular price.