Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 53 ford Pickup Custom

Thanks guys.   my80malibu I should get more photos comparing the two but on the first page of this build there is photos comparing this to the Foose  pick up.   Only thing is the Foose pick up i have sectioned by 2mm.   I need to get back onto that project as well.    Thanks for looking.

Working on the door lines and filling a few other areas at the same time.  Body work is coming along.   Not looking forward to remarking the windshield frame,  will use a drawing compass with two points to get the frame marked out.   Started getting the frame together.   Springs are attached, giving an idea of ride hit with swapping the axle to on top of the springs.   Rear axle is getting a nine inch treatment.     Thanks for looking.  Comments welcome.  

031923e3-7591-4203-b38d-67e5dccb34c5-ori

a2b8d7bf-69a9-482a-a9d6-28db8fe4970e-ori

514b4dd2-8632-4dfd-b520-da7073ce80e0-ori

c2b5ed2f-9bf6-411f-8699-70d34d68da6a-ori

Cool progress on one of my favorite old kits!  Keep it coming!   It's always neat to see comparison photos.  For the next one put it next to the Foose body (as you did) and a stock AMT '53 to illustrate just how much work you have done.

FYI- I am currently stuffing that Foose chassis under the MPC  Datsun pickup.  A bit of slicing and dicing, but I have it under there!

• 2 weeks later...

Windshield frame is done.  I ended up using 1mm half round spru to achieve this.   I removed the wipers and sanded down what remained of the kit windshield frame.   I then in glued the half round in place and then i did each corner over a period of time to allow bending the spru for the corners.   Turned out ok.    I have just sorted the tailgate out which should be the last of the body mods.  Going for a solid non opening tailgate.    Get some pics up soon of that.     Thanks for looking.  Comments welcome.

Tom you got me interested and the foose frame would pretty much go under without too much trouble.   Just a few adjustments where it joins the running boards.   I have another of these kits which i will  compare at some point.   

41b39f11-624f-4ada-b51d-01550d50271d-ori

58712aeb-62be-4cf1-90b1-d477ec1a2d44-ori

64023ed7-f811-4684-b4ed-48e43db10104-ori

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, scalepeter said:

Hey Tom, i like this kit too.  Thanks for the suggestions,  fenders are staying as is.  The rear ones look a little heavy but i can live with that.  

I do plan on removing the door handles and have a set to use that i found im my parts box.  

I'm in Brisbane.

Hey I'm in Brisbane as well, Aspley on the North side. Where are you (if you want to tell me that is). Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.   Finally getting some up dates.  Windshield frame   was a slow process of gluing one corner at a time and allowing it to set before moving on to the next.  For my first attempt at this it turned out ok.     Tailgate has been sorted out.   Decided to mould in the tailgate.   This pretty much completes the body work.   Just a little tidying up of a few areas and I should start painting soon.    Work on chassis is coming along.    Nine inch swap is complete.   I had to move the shock mounts which allowed me to use the same shocks.    Changing the axles to on top of the springs has required a few changes.      Dash has had a modification too.   I believe its from a 56 ford victoria,  it was left over part from a right hand drive conversion using a resin dash.   Sometimes my projects evolve as they come along.  Thanks for looking.   Comments always welcome.

d1ce7922-cd2a-4294-bb35-fe3d7bb154fa-ori

7bbadbd8-ead8-4b7f-a9ef-62be595509bc-ori

6bedc33f-a932-4385-a656-9725b371e958-ori

548a38df-9838-428b-85b2-d9e9911e00b5-ori

• 5 months later...

Been a while since an update here.    Things have progressed to  getting color on.    Nearly went the rusty weathered look but decided against that. This is a Torquoise base and will be a light blue metallic finale color.   Everything is slowly coming together.    Thanks for looking

MNiXsde.jpg

pqZJVgY.jpg

JLPe7jE.jpg

dsyLa7A.jpg

• 4 months later...

Been a little quiet on this one but have made some progress.   Finale body work is complete.    Finale  color coat is on and will get some clear on.   Was going to put a metallic over the torquoise but will leave as is.   Not sitting at ride height at the rear but the front is close to wear it will be.   Thanks for looking. 

fkJwPKK.jpg

ZPrdje6.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just discovered this thread. Excellent material on chopping and fitting! Your sense of proportion is excellent- far better than Mr. Foose- especially at the side window and windshield area. I also think your treatment and location of the rear fenders is spot on. At this late date, I do have a couple of comments- consider moving the front wheel openings forward and adding material back in behind. Mounting the headlights vertically and rounding the lower corners of the grill opening would blend things together- maybe mount the grill upside down and add small lights between the grill and main headlights? This thread will be a go to guide for body work for me!