Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius & AMT Pontiacs

RDean58

This one is the Ventura, started these this week, I do like how the finned brake drums turned out.

61ven03.jpg

Closeup of Pontiac Wheels. Centers were painted Tamiya aluminum while outside was painted Testors' silver.

61ven04.jpg

Can't leave the Catalina out of this, can I? Wheels are kit supplied while I sourced the parts box for the BF Goodrich Radial T/As

61cat03.jpg

And since I'm building Catalinas, here is the AMT version. Wheels are from AMT 65 Pontiacs while tires are parts box items.

62Cat01.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

I saw on a You Tube video on the Moebius 61 Pontiac(Ventura I think), that you could not use the radiator because the grill wouldn't fit if you did. Is this true?

I didn't put much stock in what this guy says, since he built the 8 lug wheels backwards on his review build, and they stuck out about an inch from the tires, and he thought they were OK. You should check this out(Right On Replicas), I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Those wheels look hilarious.

Edited by RichCostello

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, RichCostello said:

I saw on a You Tube video on the Moebius 61 Pontiac(Ventura I think), that you could not use the radiator because the grill wouldn't fit if you did. Is this true?

I didn't put much stock in what this guy says, since he built the 8 lug wheels backwards on his review build, and they stuck out about an inch from the tires, and he thought they were OK. You should check this out(Right On Replicas), I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Those wheels look hilarious.

There is enough contact between the firewall and the grill to cause the grill to standout to much. Minor surgery on both can be done to correct the fit issues. There is also a couple of minor adjustments to the wheels to make the offset more realistic. This and the Catalina are beautiful kits and the detail on them both is outstanding.   

About three years ago (time flies!), I did a mini tutorial on how to get the appearance of those wheels more correct than the directions Moebius gives you.

Pc315506-vi.jpg

Some may be new here and didn't see it, but IMO it goes a long way to getting that wheel offset more like the 1:1 and not have the 'tunneled' look by going by the book. If you click on the pic, it'll take you to my Fotki page and from pics #1-11, I show how I did it. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive
URL fix

1962-pontiac-catalina.JPG1.jpg
P6135413.JPG.9fdd29ef70dabfc4bc823128a0b10b63.JPG

Hmmm........John, I've had this kit for years and until you pointed that out, I never noticed it! Probably because I've yet to dive into it but yes.....that definitely needs some 'curve'! BTW, the red car is a Grand Prix I took a number of pics of at a local car show a couple years ago. BEAUTIFUL car and one I'd like Round 2 to do with their Catalina.

Wishful thinking though on my part. :(

5 hours ago, espo said:

There is enough contact between the firewall and the grill to cause the grill to standout to much. Minor surgery on both can be done to correct the fit issues. There is also a couple of minor adjustments to the wheels to make the offset more realistic. This and the Catalina are beautiful kits and the detail on them both is outstanding.   

I just thought it was interesting that this guy, who's doing a "How to build" video decided that the best way to deal with the problem, was to just leave the radiator out, and then he glues the ribbed part of the 8 lug wheels to the front of the wheel, right over the 8 lugs, causing them to stick way out of the wheel. I guess he never saw a real 8 lug wheel. You have to see it to know what I mean.

I built the Ventura shortly after it was released. Bill Geary - MrObssesive was doing the same model at that time. He was kind enough to share many of his little touches that made all the difference in the world on the outcome of that build. 

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I just thought it was interesting that this guy, who's doing a "How to build" video decided that the best way to deal with the problem, was to just leave the radiator out, and then he glues the ribbed part of the 8 lug wheels to the front of the wheel, right over the 8 lugs, causing them to stick way out of the wheel. I guess he never saw a real 8 lug wheel. You have to see it to know what I mean.

I think if you look at the information he is offering on the wheels and follow how he fit the front and rear glass you will find that there really is only some fine tuning that needs to be done, and isn't that part of building models anyway ?  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I built the Ventura shortly after it was released. Bill Geary - MrObssesive was doing the same model at that time. He was kind enough to share many of his little touches that made all the difference in the world on the outcome of that build. 

I think if you look at the information he is offering on the wheels and follow how he fit the front and rear glass you will find that there really is only some fine tuning that needs to be done, and isn't that part of building models anyway ?  

I'm talking about the guy on the you tube video that I mentioned in my first post, I'm not sure what your talking about. I fully intend to do everything that Bill Geary did to make this kit even better. The guy in the You Tube video(NOT Bill)not only did nothing to improve things, but screwed it up more by making stupid mistakes. I found it odd that someone doing a "how to" video didn't know "how to".

15 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

...I found it odd that someone doing a "how to" video didn't know "how to".

Nothing unusual there. Have a look at the countless moronic how-tos on real car stuff.

Nothing ever seems to stop the clueless from posturing as experts. 

While there certainly IS a great deal of value on YouToob, it takes some prior knowledge of the subject to know who's a fool and who knows his stuff.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nothing unusual there. Have a look at the countless moronic how-tos on real car stuff.

Nothing ever seems to stop the clueless from posturing as experts. 

While there certainly IS a great deal of value on YouToob, it takes some prior knowledge of the subject to know who's a fool and who knows his stuff.

I hear that, this one just stuck out in my head, with this guy building  those wheels backwards, and thinking they were right. I guess some people will follow the instructions, even when they're wrong.

17 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I'm talking about the guy on the you tube video that I mentioned in my first post, I'm not sure what your talking about. I fully intend to do everything that Bill Geary did to make this kit even better. The guy in the You Tube video(NOT Bill)not only did nothing to improve things, but screwed it up more by making stupid mistakes. I found it odd that someone doing a "how to" video didn't know "how to".

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding about my reply. I knoew that you had seen this on line video of some guy building this kit and you didn't have any confidence in his abilities based on what he was doing. What I was trying to suggest was to follow the information that Bill Geary was offering.