Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trying a larger scale

I've decided to try working on a large scale multi-media kit. :D

This just followed me home it is 1958 Dodge W500 Power Giant, it is an ex US Forest Service engine that served at my station when I was in diapers.

As it is today

9.jpg

Far left is a similar engine in its prime, next to a 2 wheel drive D500 showing how much taller the 4x4 is.

3-1960s-Dodges-BDF.jpg

This actual engine in a 4th of July parade 1966, second in line behind the Chevy.

1966-parade-USFS-chevy-and-dodge.jpg

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it should be fun. I'm planning to make a 1/25 copy while I'm at it.

Thanks, I've wanted an old engine for a long time, and the fact it actually came from my station is a great bonus.

Lots of rust to kill, its been parked in a field out by the coast for sometime. Mostly surface rust though and these trucks were built stout so lots of metal left.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

So what scale will this be built in ? 1/16? 1/8 ? 1/4?

1/1 ;)

Cool truck, I love it. I looked into a larger truck like that, but my insurance company will not insure anything bigger than a 1 ton. So, I found an Ex-Rescue Fire truck, like the 1 ton paramedics truck used on Emergency. Its a 84 Chevy K30 with the Medic service box.

I love owning a truck that was former public service/government.

Good luck with the restoration of your very cool truck.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Scott I wonder if the insurance has to do with age. I've not heard of people having trouble getting insurance for antique (generally more than 25 years old) fire apparatus and there are some who buy ladder trucks.

There are companies that specialize in vintage fire equipment insurance.

Nice truck, that was a good era for Chevy / GM trucks. We had a GMC crew cab of that style as a rescue truck when I worked at Fort Ord in the 1990s. Big thirsty  454, it sounded great but really not a lot of power.

I defiantly need a bigger bench, Ray.