Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micro drill bits

As has already been mentioned, it really comes down to what you are doing, as to the tool you choose.  Just trying to get a hole through plastic, heat s needle over an alcohol burner would work fine,  or cheap bits from a discount house.  About the same.  The pictures below show the need for a perfectly sharpened bit.  That bit is .028 and the brass is .040.  Anything less than perfect and the bit will wander and you will either break a bit or drill through the side.  Ya, get wachya pay for. 

clip pegged_zpsru73deiq.JPG

clip drilled_zpsprjaf8gd.JPG

• 3 years later...
On 12/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Justin Porter said:

We carry the Trumpeter line of hobby bits at my shop after a few of our ship guys requested them and I've been pretty impressed. 

trumpeter-09954-twist-drilling-auger-bit

How do these Trumpeter drill bits hold up over time?

1 hour ago, crowe-t said:

How do these Trumpeter drill bits hold up over time?

So far so good. My personal set have seen a reasonable amount of use (generally either opening option holes for underwing stores or reaming overly shallow mounting pin holes) and haven't shown any signs of dulling yet.

• Like 1

I really don't think that drill longevity comes into picture (even with really crappy steel bits).  Most of the time they are used on plastic or maybe some soft metals.  Those are magnitudes softer than the drill bit. The problem with cheap bits is that they are not very well sharpened to begin with.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I really don't think that drill longevity comes into picture (even with really crappy steel bits).  Most of the time they are used on plastic or maybe some soft metals.  Those are magnitudes softer than the drill bit. The problem with cheap bits is that they are not very well sharpened to begin with.

Agreed, Peter.  But I have found that even in purchasing several of the same size bit from supposedly the same lot, some seem to be somewhat less sharp than others.  I can tell that when drilling through sheet brass stock.  Some bits really bite while others seem to take forever to get through the same thickness.  Still I haven't found anything much better to work with.

Yes, with inexpensive miniature drill bits the quality is all over the place. The point i was making is that a steel drill will not get dull by drilling lots of hoes in plastic.  If they are dull, it is right from the start.

Edited by peteski