Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micro drill bits

Hi

Bought myself a pin vice/drill bit set off of Ebay.

I just used the smallest one for spark plug wires and doesn't look like the end was ground. Under a magnifier it looks flat.

Can't anyone recommend a good/quality set of micro drills?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean that it was flat. If it's super tiny, are you sure you didn't accidentally break it when in use? That can happen with those tiny bits which is why it might be good to have some extras on hand.

You may want to check here for drill bits.........lots to choose from and you may want to pick up a 'wire gauge' to get a better idea of which size to use before drilling.

Hope this helps!

Edited by MrObsessive

Buying wire-gauge drills from eBay is a crud-shoot at best. Some of the garbage sold there is so soft, it won't even drill into brass.

Last set I got from an industrial supplier (probably MSC or Grainger). Kinda spendy for as tiny as they are, but hey...they actually drill holes in stuff.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Buying wire-gauge drills from eBay is a crud-shoot at best. Some of the garbage sold there is so soft, it won't even drill into brass.

Last set I got from an industrial supplier (probably MSC or Grainger). Kinda spendy for as tiny as they are, but hey...they actually drill holes in stuff.

Yup, got to go to a non-hobby supplier.  Hobby shops and ebay will sell you the cheapest stuff they can find.  MSC, Grainger or McMaster-Carr and search wire-gage bits or if you have the need for the really good stuff, circuit board drill bits.  The circuit board bits are generally carbide bits and will be sharp but also somewhat brittle.  I only use those on my Sherline mill.  In this case, you actually do get what you pay for!

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm not sure what you mean that it was flat. If it's super tiny, are you sure you didn't accidentally break it when in use? 

No I didn't break it, it looks like it was never ground for the flutes.

Been a mechanic for 52 years I know what a drill bit looks like when sharpened.

Thanks for your input.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have a Grainger close to me and a MSC. I'll check it out.

And yes thank you  for the link mr obsessive

Edited by R.D.F.

Little wire gauge bits with a 1/8" shank are available at Harbor Freight , come in a pack of 20 for $6.95 ? Not sure what I paid for them , I used  20% off coupon . There are multiples of sizes in the pack , usually 2 of each . Warrior brand , Micro Carbide Bit Set , #62379 .

5 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Yup, got to go to a non-hobby supplier.  Hobby shops and ebay will sell you the cheapest stuff they can find.  MSC, Grainger or McMaster-Carr and search wire-gage bits or if you have the need for the really good stuff, circuit board drill bits.  The circuit board bits are generally carbide bits and will be sharp but also somewhat brittle.  I only use those on my Sherline mill.  In this case, you actually do get what you pay for!

Thanks for the suggestion fellows. I just checked McMaster because i have an account with them. I'll order a few just to try them out.

I never really thought of going to an industrial supplier to get these tiny bits. I just figured they were hobby specific in such small sizes, so I was stuck with what was available at the hobby shop.The couple times I've tried to drill through even thin brass, they don't do well.

I'm with Mr. Metallic as far as suggesting Harbor Freight. You can't tell from the packaging what sizes you are buying and sometimes the rings are the wrong color for the size that is etched on the shank. Other than that you can't go wrong with the price.  You can also take a look at https//www.drillcity.stores. The nice thing about either of these brands is the 1/8" diameter shanks. As far as drilling through metal goes, keep a block of bees wax on hand to lubricate the bit. Once I learned this trick I could drill many holes with the same bit without breaking.

I've had bad luck with the 1/8" shank bits, the flutes are deep, and the metal was brittle, so I broke them in no time.  In AZ we have a hobby shop chain called Hobby Bench, I get mine one at a time, no idea who makes them, but that works for me.  Huge problem is having to drive to Phoenix.

11 hours ago, MeatMan said:

The best bits I've bought were Tamiya. Not the smallest sizes but they work for everything I've needed them for. 1MM, 1.5MM, 2MM, 2.5MM, 3MM

Previously I bought a set that had no tips, and a set that bent line wire, both from Amazon.

I second for Tamiya.  The size goes from 0.2 mm to 3 mm, and the new ones up to 1.2 mm has a thinker shank that make them less likely to break.

I am linking to Hobby Search as the Tamiya online catalog is difficult to use, but you can get them anywhere.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=107&cat=paint&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=tamiya+drill+bit

The set I got was from a shop that sold Warhammer and other gaming supplies.  They were in a white package with red trim, the tube has a red stopper.  They seem to be good quality, haven't broken one yet (fingers crossed).  Can't say as much about my needle files.  I've got several of those broken.  I need to order a new set.

10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've had bad luck with the 1/8" shank bits, the flutes are deep, and the metal was brittle, so I broke them in no time.  In AZ we have a hobby shop chain called Hobby Bench, I get mine one at a time, no idea who makes them, but that works for me.  Huge problem is having to drive to Phoenix.

All wire gauge drill bits(well all drill bits actually) are a series of compromises. To take a good sharpening and stay sharp the metal has to be very hard.  That harder the metal the more brittle it becomes.  Most 1/8" shank bits are circuit board drills which are probably made from solid carbide.  They  will be sharper and  stay sharp because of that, but don't tolerate any side to side motion.  I use the heck out of them but only in a mill or drill press.  You have to be pretty careful to hold it very straight without any wobble when you use them in a pin vise.