Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari FXX-K 24th scale

carmad1957

Finally decided to dust off my little work table, shake off some of this old rust and get busy! Right around the 1st of the month I ordered 3 different kits that I'd set my sights on from my favorite on-line supplier, and low and behold,  there was a knock knock on the door friday morning and there he was....the good 'ol UPS guy handing me a package that absolutely made my day! There they were, the Ferrari Enzo, FXX-K, and the Ferrari F1 2001, all Tamiya 24th scale with the exception of the F1 in 20th scale. Yes, it was a dream come true for this wildman~**~ Anyhoo, to keep this entry from becoming a lengthy novel, I've decided to do the FXX car first, I guess for a lot of reasons. From the minute I began unboxing this masterpiece, it was very obvious that I had a pretty darn complex build there in front of me plus I just love how this car looks, and the background on it is pretty impressive as well.

This will be the first time I've done a WIP on-line, and my first attempt (ever) at a project this detailed, but I've done some background research and collected plenty of photo reference- hopefully this helps me along the way! I didn't go overboard on the aftermarket detail stuff on this car, but got a middle-of-the-road PE kit from Crazy Modeler and the carbon fiber decal set from Tamiya. I'm intent on taking it slow, and hope that I can turn out an end result that does this bad boy the justice it deserves. I am very aware that this particular forum is absolutely loaded with some of the most accomplished and skilled craftsmen one could ever hope to encounter, so if you have ANY advice, suggestions or tips you don't mind sharing as I embark on this journey, not only will they be welcomed, but very much appreciated as well!!

Thanks guys, and look forward to your comments!

20181211_135807.jpg

Thats looks very engaging- remember- take it slooow.

When it gets too heavy, I drop it temporarily and get on with something else (ideally not another model!!) Nothing worse than forcing something if its causing you grief!

Then I will bounce back and take it on. 

No rush!

yes sir, taking it slow is the plan- and thanks for that advice Mitch! Have some free time this week, so gonna jump in and get it started!

First up- this awesome power plant~**~ Think I'm mostly gonna use a combination of metalizers and polishing powders on the main engine block, maybe some detail washes....I also think I should plan out any plumbing plans and get that situated before I get too far along here- would you agree? Any other thoughts on the matter Mitch?

Thanks for the reply

12 hours ago, carmad1957 said:

Finally decided to dust off my little work table, shake off some of this old rust and get busy! Right around the 1st of the month I ordered 3 different kits that I'd set my sights on from my favorite on-line supplier, and low and behold,  there was a knock knock on the door friday morning and there he was....the good 'ol UPS guy handing me a package that absolutely made my day! There they were, the Ferrari Enzo, FXX-K, and the Ferrari F1 2001, all Tamiya 24th scale with the exception of the F1 in 20th scale. Yes, it was a dream come true for this wildman~**~ Anyhoo, to keep this entry from becoming a lengthy novel, I've decided to do the FXX car first, I guess for a lot of reasons. From the minute I began unboxing this masterpiece, it was very obvious that I had a pretty darn complex build there in front of me plus I just love how this car looks, and the background on it is pretty impressive as well.

This will be the first time I've done a WIP on-line, and my first attempt (ever) at a project this detailed, but I've done some background research and collected plenty of photo reference- hopefully this helps me along the way! I didn't go overboard on the aftermarket detail stuff on this car, but got a middle-of-the-road PE kit from Crazy Modeler and the carbon fiber decal set from Tamiya. I'm intent on taking it slow, and hope that I can turn out an end result that does this bad boy the justice it deserves. I am very aware that this particular forum is absolutely loaded with some of the most accomplished and skilled craftsmen one could ever hope to encounter, so if you have ANY advice, suggestions or tips you don't mind sharing as I embark on this journey, not only will they be welcomed, but very much appreciated as well!!

Thanks guys, and look forward to your comments!

20181211_135807.jpg

Its a beautiful choice! the best looking Ferrari in a looooooong time!!...I will be following fo sure!!!

I will definitely be following this one!!!....I have it in my stash somewhere....lol

If it helps, you can find my build here:

The fit is stellar, and very precise, so make sure you don’t get a thick paint layer in places like the shut lines. Follow the instructions EXACTLY, and it all goes together beautifully, with openable doors and clamshell. The hardest part I found was getting the silver decal stripes into the intake tunnels on the clam...

I’ll be following along, and any specific questions, just ask...

best,

M.

Thanks for the kind words and inspiration guys! And Matt, thanks for sharing those pics with me- a real help~**~ Making a little progress on the engine assembly, and considering I have always struggled with carbon fiber, working on getting them laid onto the air intake assembly nice and smooooth....not too bad so far actually. Learning real fast just how delicate these decals really are. I also noticed that the 2 rear lower suspension arms were cast as one solid piece which I didn't really like, so cut out the "blank" areas to get it looking more like "I think" it should and it worked out ok- like it better. I'll post some pics in the morning of the progress. Also, any ideas on these blobish lookin' exhaust headers? Was a little taken back by how basic they look! Any ideas will be very appreciated!

Thanks again guys, so much! and yes- I'm really enjoying this!! 

Got a little build time in, and really enjoying building this awesome kit! The majority of the wiring is done (as far as I know!) and spent some time with the carbon fiber decals on the air induction cover- surprised myself! Lots of heat, softeners, more heat, lots of rubbing- think I pretty much got it. Wanted to get those set before I do any detailing on the connectors, etc. The heads drilled out just as I was hoping, only problem....I have no idea where these ignition wires attach and how! Before I get too far along, if anyone has a suggestion (or several!), please share~

Also did a body paint test on a scrapbox body, and this Tamiya paint is superb! Didn't take a pic- might have to!

out1-1238x1651.jpg

20181215_074511-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.b3a41b47a5038a69b8f390e827cef7df.jpg

out2-1238x1651.jpg

Edited by carmad1957
Bad post, photo problem again

23 hours ago, carmad1957 said:

Got a little build time in, and really enjoying building this awesome kit! The majority of the wiring is done (as far as I know!) and spent some time with the carbon fiber decals on the air induction cover- surprised myself! Lots of heat, softeners, more heat, lots of rubbing- think I pretty much got it. Wanted to get those set before I do any detailing on the connectors, etc. The heads drilled out just as I was hoping, only problem....I have no idea where these ignition wires attach and how! Before I get too far along, if anyone has a suggestion (or several!), please share~

Also did a body paint test on a scrapbox body, and this Tamiya paint is superb! Didn't take a pic- might have to!

out1-1238x1651.jpg

20181215_074511-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.b3a41b47a5038a69b8f390e827cef7df.jpg

out2-1238x1651.jpg

Looking FANTASTIC, bud!!!!…..keep up the momentum, and great work!!!

Well done. Off to a great start. The ignition run to toward the back of the car. There is two ignition blocks at the back of the motor. One on each side. Look at the first pic I added and you can see them there black. It gets pretty tight in that area when all the parts are there. Keep the Kers line neat and tidy. They will run under the tube of the air box. 

Thanks guys- so much! The tips and ideas are very much appreciated. Doing a WIP thread is new to me, so bear with me! I am certainly enjoying this so far, and I think I've got the engine and exhaust ready to plant so hoping for some time today- that will be a real turning point in this whole process.

btw Tim, is the Kers line the orange wire(s) ??