Model Cars Magazine Forum

2017 Toyota Camry, Whats In The Box

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yes. Quite literally the only one. 

:lol: Pure gold. :)

I was surprised to see how well the real Camry was selling in the current sales climate, but this kit makes plenty of sense in light of that demand.

What, exactly, is that side window material? It looks hazy and not at all clear, but maybe that's just the image?

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

Am I the only one thinking, why this when there are so many cool cars that have never been done?

Correct, you are.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

:lol: Pure gold. :)

I was surprised to see how well the real Camry was selling in the current sales climate, but this kit makes plenty of sense in light of that demand.

What, exactly, is that side window material? It looks hazy and not at all clear, but maybe that's just the image?

Casey, its a protective film.

Edited by martinfan5

Hmmm.......for whatever reason the pics are blocked on my end as I'm at work and on their Wifi. I had to go on my phone to see the pics and yes..........that is a very nice resin kit! Isn't' that an '18 model though? I've seen a number of them on the road and have to look twice and realize that's a Camry! Toyota really stepped up their game with the design of that car this time around!

12 hours ago, Motor City said:

Am I the only one thinking, why this when there are so many cool cars that have never been done?

Gotta give them credit for even doing this car as to my eyes it's mighty sharp! Hopefully that's a trend (signal) for others to do the same. Bring on more modern stuff that's woefully lacking in the hobby.

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Hmmm.......for whatever reason the pics are blocked on my end as I'm at work and on their Wifi. I had to go on my phone to see the pics and yes..........that is a very nice resin kit! Isn't' that an '18 model though? 

Yes, it's the redesigned 2018-present XV70 generation.  That style was introduced during 2017 calendar year.   Maybe in Japan it was labeled as a 2017 at the time?    I've seen a few of the SEs around here in white w/ the black roof and red leather interior--rather bold and striking design for a FWD family sedan. 

Edited by Rob Hall

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, Motor City said:

not at all.  I don't understand the harsh replies to your question.  Clearly it's a well done model kit, and the manufacturer deserves praise for crafting such a fine kit for what is likely a small niche market. 

But the camry has never really moved the needle for me either. 

Edited by JJ Deuce
too harsh

9 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

not at all.  I don't understand the harsh replies to your question.  Clearly it's a well done model kit, and the manufacturer deserves praise for crafting such a fine kit for what is likely a small niche market. 

There plenty of things that don't move my needle either, but I don't go into the in-box review thread about it and publicly declare it a waste of time.

Modeler's is a Japanese resin company catering to a Japanese market, which has bought and built these things like proverbial breakfast items.

Edited by niteowl7710

It looks well done with nice detail.  Now that it has been mentioned that the manufacturer is a Japanese resin manufacturer, I can understand why it was done.  But my point is, why can't we buy complete resin kits of American cars that don't require parts being sent out to a chrome plater; and wheels, tires and chassis taken from another kit?  Are there any such resin companies in this country?  

14 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

I'm still trying to understand what was harsh about the replies. He asked a question, people answered. It was all very direct and mature. 

9 hours ago, Motor City said:

It looks well done with nice detail.  Now that it has been mentioned that the manufacturer is a Japanese resin manufacturer, I can understand why it was done.  But my point is, why can't we buy complete resin kits of American cars that don't require parts being sent out to a chrome plater; and wheels, tires and chassis taken from another kit?  Are there any such resin companies in this country?  

Well, with The Modelhaus gone, not sure how many other resin casters are out there offering a complete kit.

Even their kits left something out, for example I bought their 64 Dodge Crew Cab pickup kit. It has ALMOST everything needed to build, minus the engine, but didn't consider that to be a deal breaker.I paid $105 for the kit and knew that I would have to source an engine and do some cleanup work on the body. The chassis is promo-like and I will have to cut some clear plastic for the side and rear windows. 

Would love to see more complete kits, but given the life expectancy of a resin mold and the cost to develop them, I can see why resin casters make "trans kits" using an existing kit to save on costs. I doubt The Modelhaus made a lot of money on my $105 kit when all the costs are added up.