Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Justin Porter

Fujimi Dino 246GT

Recommended Posts

Back to the "shelf of doom" to try and rescue a project from obscurity. This time it's the Testors issue of the 1/24th scale Fujimi Enthusiast series Dino 246GT.

Last night I got the body into primer (Tamiya Fine Grey) and started doing some detail painting on the engine which in the way-back-when I had airbrushed with Testors Metalizer Aluminum.

48213563_2127624663927723_30787404215814

48374006_2127624673927722_41568777151121

48177229_2127624683927721_74559744746517

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fiance has been on my case to do a car in blue, and because I actually hadn't really picked a color for the car I've started leaning towards Chiaro Blue. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=54194&stc=1&

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the spyder and hardtop Fujimi kits of this car!  Look forward to seeing this go together.

Yellow is a pain to do well, that blue is pretty nice.  But don't paint RED, some guys are triggered by the color.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I have the spyder and hardtop Fujimi kits of this car!  Look forward to seeing this go together.

Yellow is a pain to do well, that blue is pretty nice.  But don't paint RED, some guys are triggered by the color.  :P

I wonder if its because RED makes him angry?.....if its the guy I think you're talking about, his favorite car company is Lamborghini!....or so I've heard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

My fiance has been on my case to do a car in blue, and because I actually hadn't really picked a color for the car I've started leaning towards Chiaro Blue. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=54194&stc=1&

I love this kolor, bud!!….this kit/car is great!!, I will do mine in yellow.  I WILL be following this!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

I wonder if its because RED makes him angry?.....if its the guy I think you're talking about, his favorite car company is Lamborghini!....or so I've heard

Don't know what you're talking about.  ;):rolleyes:  I've heard that rumor too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

I wonder if its because RED makes him angry?.....if its the guy I think you're talking about, his favorite car company is Lamborghini!....or so I've heard

I also hear he is spending way too much time building Paganis. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Well, I'll say there's probably going to be someone grumpy if I ever get back to my 365GTB/4... lol

Justin, I wont be grumpy at all, because I mostly admire how its built.....not necessarily the kolor used....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about maroon? This is a great color for this car. Had a chance to buy a maroon 246 or a Porsche 914-6. I bought the Porsche. Silver with black interior. The 246 was always in need of something. While the Porsche was more reliable. But today I would take the 246 just because of those body lines. And I can afford the repairs. The cars were at Ferrari of Los Gatos. I believe the 246 and the p4 are the best looking Ferrari’s ever. But that is my humble opinion. Great choice of cars. The blue is very sexy also. I believe you can paint this car any color and it would be great. Just like putting different color clothes on Megan Fox. All would look great because of those body lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sweeeeeet!!!  This is a import car build I could sink my teeth into too!

But I think I would really love the taste of that yellow myself!?!  LOL!!:P

        David S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of my favourite kits of all time. I didn't know Testors boxed this as well. I have a Fujimi Enthusiast and a Revell boxed version of this. Both are identical, but I think the decals are different. I think the blue will look great on this Justin. I will be watching your progress.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Kurt, and Alex, you guys are funny!!!

Sorry for the off-topic, but I simply can't have anyone saying that ("you're funny") without thinking of one of my favorite scenes in one of the all-time greatest movies... :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Sorry for the off-topic, but I simply can't have anyone saying that ("you're funny") without thinking of one of my favorite scenes in one of the all-time greatest movies... :rolleyes:

 

LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, first update on the Dino and it's progressing nicely. I sanded down the handbrushed enamel flat black on the chassis and laid down a fresh coat of Vallejo Black Primer to tidy it up. The bulkhead and rear frame work is in place and the engine is now safely in its home for the model. The interior floor was painted with Vallejo Model Air Elfenbein Ivory. Finally I attended to trying to dress some of the less than perfect body joints in the kit to prepare for paint. 

49608137_2160707587286097_71801925286315

49846455_2160707597286096_44518840764832

49545973_2160707567286099_7094506466492549348558_2160707707286085_43415484754779

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming along nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got this kit in in the spyder version. I painted mine yellow. I think yellow or light metallic blue are the best colors for this car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also building this kit. I'll be following this with interest hoping you show the way through any rough spots. I know what you mean about "less than perfect body joints", but I haven't gotten to the filling and sanding phase yet. Thanks for posting this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

I am also building this kit. I'll be following this with interest hoping you show the way through any rough spots. I know what you mean about "less than perfect body joints", but I haven't gotten to the filling and sanding phase yet. Thanks for posting this!

The first tip I can definitely pass along is to keep your micro drill bits and pin vise handy because none of the holes for the locator pins are either wide or deep enough especially if you have any paint on anything. It's very easy to misalign parts because of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished mine.  Would have posted it, but it just keeps raining here in Myrtle.  Word of advice, take the grill back off.  I know it says to put it on before the chassis, but don't.  It's a fit issue.  You may have an issue with the wheel base as well, and an issue with the dash fit.  Those were the only real issues I had with the kit.  It was a real pain getting the dash right and getting the grill back on once the chassis is put in.  The housing for the radiator and fans makes it to where the grill won't fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

The first tip I can definitely pass along is to keep your micro drill bits and pin vise handy because none of the holes for the locator pins are either wide or deep enough especially if you have any paint on anything. It's very easy to misalign parts because of this. 

Thanks, Justin. I've definitely run into poor fitting holes and pins. I'm very impressed that you managed to get the headers lined up and installed. The blobular pins made it impossible for me to tell if I had all those parts in the right position. I finally gave up on the transaxle side and bent my own out of aluminum wire. At least that way, things would stay where I put them until I got them all lined up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...