Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 M23 EJAN 1976 Conversion

Getting ready to start my next project. I will be attempting to build the 1/12 scale Tamiya M23 kit with photo etch using the EJan 1976 Japanese Grand Prix Conversion kit. I'll be building the James Hunt version to go with the Niki Lauda 1975 312T Ferrari that I recently completed. This will be my first use of a conversion kit and also with resin body parts. I used the Top Studio detail sets for my McLaren MP4/6 but they were nothing like the EJan kit. Limited instructions as to which original kit parts the conversion parts replace. Some are obvious but others will take alot of studying of reference pictures and test fitting. It's going to be interesting for sure. Just sorting things out now and ordering my reference books. Surprisingly I haven't been able to find to much on the internet to use as reference photos. There are pics out there but not enough showing details that I am looking for. I hope the books are better. Thank you for looking.

HRw0IES.jpg

bB5PQPE.jpg?1

qyeaRBw.jpg

348QYV5.jpg

x2MffqP.jpg

kd1zl24.jpg?1

Edited by nickyfzr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just recently got interested in the tamiya 1/12 scale kits . I just ordered the 1/12 scale Honda that includes photo etch parts ‘.  I also just ordered the zuron photoetch cutters will this work on that size photoetch  ? Thanks rob . Looking forward to your progress 

• 4 weeks later...

Started test fitting the body and front bulkhead. Kit instruction call for assembling the body around the cockpit and front suspension but that would leav an obvious seam on the side of the body. My plan is to assemble and paint the body then slide in the front bulhead, assemble the front suspension then slide the completed cockpit in from the rear of the body. Also modified the kits steering rack using some left over parts from my spare 312T kit. Used a mirror and shock absorber halves to better replicate the real rack.

22KCpWE.jpg

JQAZ5WF.jpg

ftn3IXv.jpg

BX98iGU.jpg

RPBoImQ.jpg

RfrHcZL.jpg

Q8wn9c2.jpg

nqQc97P.jpg

71Vz0Ow.jpg

cvFws6f.jpg

M2zgccS.jpg

lgMPGUj.jpg

jk7EwDb.jpg

ZAaYMZF.jpg

nu9XOmy.jpg

ZA3jtVU.jpg

Edited by nickyfzr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some progress shots of the body. The red areas are decals that came with the trans kit. It looked a little too flourescent to me so I sprayed some red underneath to try and darken them a little. Still have to cut and polish.

AJ3FqFZ.jpg?1

U9dvEoy.jpg?1

3U2a3h4.jpg?1

tS9bIzT.jpg?1

0KwN9ku.jpg?1

mEth9fb.jpg?1

OtKCdSw.jpg?1

fZH8y2f.jpg?1

GbSMJYj.jpg?1

5AFeEKB.jpg?1

jehv6Gi.jpg?1

Edited by nickyfzr