Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you ever feel the urge to clean up your work table and start again?

I'm working on a project right now, and it's going rather well, but...Has it happened to you that you start making mistakes on a certain project? And things then kinda start to get a bit messy? And you're able to fix your mistakes, but somehow--and this can be blamed on trying to finish things quickly--that "peaceful" modeling mode in your mind is gone...

So I feel like cleaning off the table from everything and starting a new project, taking my time, being methodical...Do it the right way. And what about the current project? Gotta confess I would feel kinda guilty to leave it hanging, but I feel that I need that "switch" and start from clean...

So, have you guys felt like this? ;)

YUP!

Been there done that. I usually end up changing modeling topics altogether from cars to helicopters or airplanes or military. Then I get frustrated again with the Mi-6 helicopter I've been scratchbuilding for the past 12 years and go back to cars again. ;)

Saludos!

I'm working on a project right now, and it's going rather well, but...Has it happened to you that you start making mistakes on a certain project? And things then kinda start to get a bit messy? And you're able to fix your mistakes, but somehow--and this can be blamed on trying to finish things quickly--that "peaceful" modeling mode in your mind is gone...

So I feel like cleaning off the table from everything and starting a new project, taking my time, being methodical...Do it the right way. And what about the current project? Gotta confess I would feel kinda guilty to leave it hanging, but I feel that I need that "switch" and start from clean...

So, have you guys felt like this? ;)

YES! I've got some started that I couldn't wait for! (one, a '32 Phaeton, or 'full-fendered tub') I looked for a time for the original AMT Roadster fenders, with the spare tire wells, found them, and went to work. Lotsa Deuce stuff here, but project slowed down when it just didn't get finished in time! Soon, I was making errors...like the luggage rack on the rear: I had it narrowed, shortened, and it tucked right up tight against the rear of the body...then glued it on upside down! Aggghhhhh!

Tub got boxed and put on the Deuce Shelf for a time, for I was 'chompin' at the bit' to do the old 'Lightnin' Bug', (Norm Grabowski's first version of the "Kookie Kar") Von France's clone of the real one started in my Campbell, CA. shop, and I was always telling him the old version would be 'cooler'.

So, I gathered all the parts necessary, and am just about ready, BUT: "There's this ONE little 'easy one' I'll do first, just to get brushed-up"... That sound familiar?

This morning I am scheduled to go in for cataract surgery, right eye. (Had the left one done 6 weeks ago) Between these 'acts', I had been working on the '32 Tub...but I couldn't see for poop! Reading glasses used to work, but 3 different pairs I had were focused on one eye, and blurry on the other!

Now, I'm not trying to make an 'eye-excuse' here, but that luggage rack on the back of that tub is still upside down, and I reshaped it to fit, and know "all about it"! (sure ya do, pal)

When I get home today, I rest. By Wednesday, I should be fitting some big stuff for the 'Lightnin; Bug', (frame shaping, body fitting, axles laid out; I'll leave the fine stuff for later in the week when I get eyesight back on both! I can now take pictures, but understand there is a post here (somewhere) that is a 'seminar' on how to post? It should be interesting, hopefully. The subject is, anyway.

(in the real life size, Von Franco's buds helped him clone this version as well! He is driving it now, and has moved to Austin, Texas. There are blogs and U-Tube film.)

The guys I.M.'d me, and invited me in on the Dragster build-off! I've been busy with the fullsize hot rods this last few months, and missed the lights! I have some dragster stuff I'm itchin' to build, but that Lightnin' Bug is ready now! Doc says no heavy lifting, so looks like 2 weeks of Models!

And my new bench is almost clean! (can't find anything, it's all back in the drawers where it belongs!)

Nope. Haven't cleaned my workbench in 14& 1/2 years. How would I ever find anything if I clean it?

25 started kits on the bench parts everywhere but knew where everything was and what everything had gone to.

I used to be like that and probably still would but, 5 moves later changed all that. I am still recovering from that habbit. Now I clean pretty regularly. I am much more productive when the bench is clean.