Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donnie Firkins 1970`s "Coca Cola" Trike: On the Work Bench 12/3/18

Hello......This is on the Work Bench:  Donnie Firkins 1970`s "Coca Cola" Trike.......It will  "Not"  be an exact replica.......I will be changing the The 45 Engine for a Shovel Head Engine......cause, I couldn't find a 45 Engine in this Scale.......I will be modifying the Revell Evo kit engine into a Shovel Head Engine.....I`m Starting with a Revell 1/12 Scale Custom Chopper.......My buddy Curt Ratz gave me a suggestion how to make the can for this build......Curt suggested that I wrap a thin sheet of styrene around a spray paint can and glue it together......thats what I did, thanks Curt......but,I took it a step further and used the Spray Paint Cap and grafted the top of a 1:1 soda can with the pop top......I didn't want to spend the time looking for a plastic tube to use .......thanks for looking

sancsy7to9pmhxwtyuwe_zpseaprvrpj.jpg

DSCF0303_zpsvu7iflzl.jpg

DSCF0304_zpsebyjx87o.jpg

DSCF0305_zpsp9x6zmt3.jpg

DSCF0307_zps1ztrs6ub.jpg

DSCF0306_zpsxsnpcfvb.jpg

DSCF0308_zpsbaicfijf.jpg

John... this is going to be another epic build from you that we all will get to watch come together. You always come up with the most Unique builds. I really like the creativity you have done with taking the top of a Coke Can and incorporating it into the main body. I personally thing it adds a lot more character to the build. Keep doing what you do because you always pull off awesome builds 

Hello.......thanks guys so very much for the kind comments......I really do appreciate them:).......I made the frame  and shortened the tank  a 1/4 inch.......I got the engine and trans mock-ed up in the frame.......I will be making a different front end it will have a longer rake......just used the kit one for mock-up.......thanks for looking.

DSCF0319_zpsntcamv3i.jpg

DSCF0318_zpshavyznye.jpg

DSCF0317_zpsojqscut1.jpg

DSCF0316_zpsiat6uuup.jpg

And in the blink of an eye.... the frame is done just like that.  This is looking totally sweet!! You are on a roll for sure and you just started this killer build.  Like Curt said, you captured the look of the 1:1 for sure. “They See Johnny Rollin....” Keep it up my friend.

This is so cool. One really has to wonder what the effect of all that air going into the can would have been on the 1:1 bike. Very unique project it looks great at the start. My sister has a massive beer can collection, lots with unpulled pull tabs. I can probably get you one if you want it.

2 hours ago, r60man said:

This is so cool. One really has to wonder what the effect of all that air going into the can would have been on the 1:1 bike. Very unique project it looks great at the start. My sister has a massive beer can collection, lots with unpulled pull tabs. I can probably get you one if you want it.

John......that would be AWESOME if you would like to donate a can for this project.......I really don't  want to spend the big bucks on Ebay to get one......on the 1:1 bike there is a cut opening  around the edge at the top of the can to release the air

thanks for looking

Hello.......thanks guys for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)........I made the rear suspension with box parts and modified the Crager Resin Wheels to make them deep dish ......I made the seats and the interior......and made a new Springer Front end.......I am using a "TruWires"  Wire Wheel that my buddy Curt Ratz made for me .....its a very cool wheel and will look great on this bike.......I also mocked-up the kit oil tank.......all the detail will be added later......I will work on the handle bars next......thanks for looking 

DSCF0336_zpsxitdjxaa.jpg

DSCF0335_zpseaw2547g.jpg

DSCF0334_zpsh02yydi4.jpg

DSCF0333_zpsmtaygrdp.jpg

DSCF0331_zpstnxkajcs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.......I finished the scratch built Springer front end.......I got a coat of putty on the body and sanded down.....I`m ready to primer the body and and put another coat of putty where it's needed.......I made a clutch and added ribs to the belt drive.......I made a tail light and some handle bars with risers and a mirror and a bulb horn........and modified some resin Crager wheels to deep dish Cragers ......and also made a brake pedal......thanks for looking

DSCF0360_zpsdqy1epse.jpg

DSCF0361_zpsveu2otcv.jpg

DSCF0362_zpseldxdndb.jpg

DSCF0366_zpsjur2t8ir.jpg

DSCF0367_zpsuwsmdhhg.jpg