Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Allison 1971 Golden State 400 winner

MarkJ

Just finished this one. I used a 45 year old build to do the project. It was an old MPC Buddy Baker kit from the early seventys. I took it apart  made a few changes and actually painted it for the first time.  I saw this car in person at Meyer Speedway in Houston back on a Wednesday night after the Golden State 400. It was called the Space City 300 and it was in June of 1971. Bobby won both races. The project took 109 hours which included making the decals.

71ball19.jpg

71ball2.jpg

71ball21.jpg

71ball15.jpg

71ball16.jpg

71ball17.jpg

71ball8.jpg

71ball23.jpg

This is what I started with.

71bobwipsracapi1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

NICE......never saw that car before!!!! 

He only ran it a couple of races while his holman and moody mercury was getting ready. I think it was an ex Marty Robbins car. I tried to match the colors of the car from colored pictures of  the car from a color video. Every picture of Marty Robbins cars, the colors look a little different.

4 minutes ago, bbowser said:

Very cool!  You did a great job saving that glue bomb.

Thanks, Bruce. I bought a recently released AMT 71 Charger to do this build, but it was one of those "Dirty Donny" kits and I was going to have to do a lot of work to make it look right. The hood is one of those bubble hoods and I would have had to make it  flat and I would have had to come up with a nascar chassis from some where, probably a 90's amt nascar kit but that would not have been very authentic. So I'm glad to have found this old glue bomb. What's great is there was also a 71 MPC Richard Petty Plymouth in the bag with it that I will do the same thing to make a 72 Plymouth that was run in 1973. Stay tuned.

Thanks, Carl, Chris and John. I really appreciate your interest in the build. The only bad part was getting the parts apart. It took a lot of careful prying. I have another one of these glue bombs to do but I'm not going to take it completely apart this time. Just remove the engine remove the seat  get the wheels apart and get the windshield and backglass  off the body. If you want to see the w.i.p. of this build click on the link below.

http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=1093.0

6 hours ago, AMC ROB said:

I love everything about this! Bobby was and still is my hero...it's got the Marty Robbins thing going (out in the West Texas town of El Paso)...it's got a unique variation on the Coke livery...and it's a Dodge...plus it's a "rescue" that is beautifully executed. Outstanding!

Thanks, Rob. I really appreciate the feedback.