Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 500SEC

martinfan5

Still, remember when they first came out, a guy (think his name was Francois, but everyone called him Ludo) built one and showed at a monthly meeting at Verlindens  Model World shop, it was beautiful, 

Lost contact with him, but know that he later started building automotive display models for Tamiya Europe, remember seeing them at the Tamiya stand in Nürnberg.

I too built on back in the day, but it's landfill now...maybe just maybe there's still a polaroid pic of it somewhere...

Anyway...beautiful build Jonathan!

1 hour ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Love it! Actually one of the nicest rides I was allowed to drive ever! My father-in-law owns this one in dark blue. Never felt that comfortable again at 150 mp/h! I had the same wheel covers on my 280 SEL.

Mercedes (some may disagree) IMO are one of the best engineered cars in the world. I've had three of them over the years including a 300 SEL which unfortunately caught fire and burnt to the ground back in '99. :(

I loved that car for the performance and for its size it handled very well! These days they're MUCH too expensive for me and that can be a downside to owning one. They can go for a long, long, long time without ever needing a thing, but when they do eventually break down................LOOK OUT! ($$$$$) :o

Sharp build..I have this kit and the Revell of Germany one in my to-build stash.  Always liked the 80s Mercs. 

When she lived in Arizona, my sister had an '84 Merc 500SEL and a '91 300CE.   I drove them both quite a bit when I lived out there over the last decade, when they were running they were quite enjoyable to drive.  But cars that are expensive and complex new can become money pits when they are old w/ high mileage (and the previous owners didn't maintain them properly). I find them more enjoyable in 1/24th scale. :)  

IMG-0201.JPG

IMG-1460.JPG

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

[...]  But cars that are expensive and complex new can become money pits when they are old w/ high mileage (and the previous owners didn't maintain them properly). [...] :)  

Buzzkill. <_<  But I would not disagree, that's why you never see them on the road anymore.  I have a friend who told me about how MB would give a car to a car magazine journalist every year, so that guaranteed positive reviews.  One broke down on him, they immediately sent a new replacement.  Then later driving back home, I saw one on the shoulder of the freeway, middle of nowhere.

Nice job putting this together!   I built the Lorinser version last century, so it's cool to see one built up nowadays.

On 16.12.2018 at 6:55 PM, Rob Hall said:

I have the Lorinser kit also in my unbuilt stash.   Too bad that an AMG version of this generation wasn't kitted, always like the look of them.  A buddy in high school had an '86 560 SEC AMG, red like this..

1986-Mercedes-560SEC-AMG-clone.jpg

They even came wi(l)der from Koenig Specials...

34-altfront.jpg

@martinfan5: great model and superb, temporary choice of colors!

Edited by Tommy124