Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thames Panel Truck

restoman

This was a challenge. A pretty finicky kit, to say the least, but I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out.

The warped body meant I had to glue the doors shut and couldn't get the steering wheel in there, but there was no hole in the firewall anyway... and no column and only half of a steering box. Minor details, right? ;)

Comments always welcome. :)

thames 1.jpg

thames 2.jpg

thames 3.jpg

thames 4.jpg

thames 5.jpg

thames 6.jpg

thames 7.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Love that green on your build, it really pops!!

I bought a built up kit of this with intentions to redo it, but after hearing how much of a hassle this kit is I may just leave it as is. I’m guessing mine is one of the original issue kits because of the different wheels and decals 🤷‍♂️

A3304370-841B-45A6-AC96-E8838063A12D.jpeg

Edited by Keef

On 1/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, Keef said:

Love that green on your build, it really pops!!

I bought a built up kit of this with intentions to redo it, but after hearing how much of a hassle this kit is I may just leave it as is. I’m guessing mine is one of the original issue kits because of the different wheels and decals 🤷‍♂️

A3304370-841B-45A6-AC96-E8838063A12D.jpeg

That is the 1971 issue, the original was in 1966, but it is identical to what you have. It was the 1995 re issue that came with the Cragar Trick Wheels 

Boxart Thames Drag Panel H-1268 Revell

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alexis said:

I've got one of these kits in the stash. I keep pulling it out and wanting to try building it. I want to just polish the body and hood, and only paint the engine and chassis.

Is that even possible, or do I have to paint the body too.?

A friend of mine just cleaned up the body a bit and sprayed it with a nice Gloss Clear. Looked pretty good when all done, especially with the decals on. 

And to think that I was seriously thinking bout buying this kit from my LHS!  Silly me.  Thanks for dissuading me Mike.  LOL

Great job though.

Hard to say what caused the warping - manufacturing; storage condition.  If they release this kit again, hopefully top quality styrene will eliminate one potential cause for warping...

23 hours ago, alexis said:

I've got one of these kits in the stash. I keep pulling it out and wanting to try building it. I want to just polish the body and hood, and only paint the engine and chassis.

Is that even possible, or do I have to paint the body too.?

Your kit....your rules.