Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

GeeBee

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Brilliant! How do you get the foil to look that good? I gave up with that stuff as it always looks wrinkled when I do it.

A few things I do to get a decent finish on the BMF

1- Use a brand new #11 scalpel blade, a used one will only tear the BMF

2- Don't try to cover parts like window frames in one piece,  I use 4 pieces, top, bottom and the two sides 

3- when peeling off the BMF from the backing paper,  don't pull it completely off the paper, otherwise it will just curl up

4- Once you've placed the BMF over the part to be covered, use a good quality cotton bud and start burnishing it into place,  I use a worn cuticle stick to get into the fine lines,  once you've got the BMF in place and burnished, trim to fit using the #11 scalpel blade,  remove any excess and burnish a  little more. 

That should give you exactly the same finish I get, practice makes perfect, I've been using Bare Metal foil for over 25 years.....

Edited by GeeBee

3 hours ago, Husky1943 said:

Geoff,

Sir, I salute you and your talent!  That is a beautiful build and I look forward to seeing the progress.  (I'm a little green with envy on your paint skills.)  Top shelf.

Rob

The paint I'm using for my American builds are from MCW lacquer,  once dry I polish the paint using around 4 different polishing compounds,  unless I'm unlucky in getting any dust nibs in the paint i rarely have to do any wet sanding 

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks for the tips, Geoff. I was looking back through this thread and saw the detailing you done on the seats, it phenomenal! I'll definitely give foiling another try.

Thank you for the complement,  just keep practicing with the BMF, I remember my first attempts,  my first time back from travelling to the USA,  with a supply of Bare Metal foil and other modelling goodies,  I was trying to replicate the stone guards on a Heller Talbot Lago, I nearly gave up,  after reading the article on how to do BMF in Car Modeller magazine I gave it another go, and success,  I can understand why some modellers hate the stuff,  but following a few simple tips,you should be able to get the finish I'm getting with BMF, here's a photo of the tools I use for my BMF work 

20200707_130118.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

After having a day of the hiccups on and off for most of the day yesterday, I'm glad today they seemed to have disappeared, so I'm safe to have a scalpel in my hand to get some more Bare Metal foil done on this one....

20200707_130106.jpg

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Now comes the fun part!

The vent windows!! :P

Far from my best work done using Bare Metal Foil, but I'm calling it finished on the one side, now I've got the same to do on the opposite side.....

20200708_132651.jpg

You really have to be careful with the gold BMF, you only have to touch it too hard and the gold coating comes off, an easy fix though, just touch it up with some Tamiya clear yellow acrylic

FB_IMG_1594241580412.jpg

FB_IMG_1594241587148.jpg

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

You really have to be careful with the gold BMF, you only have to touch it too hard and the gold coating comes off, an easy fix though, just touch it up with some Tamiya clear yellow acrylic

FB_IMG_1594241580412.jpg

FB_IMG_1594241587148.jpg

That looks good. I was going to suggest this foil if you hadn't already tried it. You're correct about it being on the delicate side. The foil is also a little thicker I believe. On the trim for the '57 Chevrolet, especially the Bel Air lettering on the rear quarter panels, wings, I use Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf paint. This foil is great for the gold trim on the side of the '57 Fords though.  

13 hours ago, espo said:

On the trim for the '57 Chevrolet, especially the Bel Air lettering on the rear quarter panels, wings, I use Tamiya X-12 Gold Leaf paint. 

I bought this a few weeks ago, I'll be practicing on something else before trying to do the Bel Air script on the model though....

20200709_121353.jpg

20200709_121402.jpg

13 hours ago, espo said:

This foil is great for the gold trim on the side of the '57 Fords though.  

Good to know, I was wondering what to use, and I've a few of those to build,including a couple of Jimmy Flintstone's resin bodies 

20200709_121724.jpg

20200709_121855.jpg

33 minutes ago, Husky1943 said:

That's quite the stash you have, Geoff!  You might have an addiction.  Us, too.  Modeling is wonderful therapy. 

I think you may well be correct Robert,  I did a count the other day,  170 kits in the stash and at the speed I build will last me quite a few years....