Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 cad sedan de Ville Flattop

Paul Hettick

A roof design that never has been seen on a model that I know of. This design was very practical. The large rear window allowed a good un obstructive view to the rear and the roof overhang kept the hot sun off of the rear seat passengers.  

Dang! Just a few years ago, one of those was sitting in the weeds just off the highway not twenty miles from me. I stopped to look it over, but could never find anyone at home at the nearest house, whom I assumed were the owners. (Their driveway also ran just past the car) It was a beauty of a fixer-upper, and SO worth saving; a sort of pale gold color with pale gold and black interior. One day, it was just GONE...

I'll be watching this build with much interest of the proverbial "one that got away"!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 1:23 PM, Jeffcad said:

Hi !

First day here as a member. Great surprise to see you've started  some Cadillac models. Can't wait to see more of this 59 Flat Top.

Don't give up Paul, she'll be a beauty, no doubts !

Thank you very much Jean- Philippe! I hope to be able to offer copies by this coming May. Please post more of your fantastic Cadillac builds for us all to see!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:21 AM, Sixx said:

Hey Paul, you got a website or something??? How can I purchase one of your awesome kits??? I've been diggin your build for a long time now...keep the cool stuff rolling!!!

Thank you Derrick! No website at this time. Currently selling trans- kits on the popular auction site. Have only released two so far but expect more in April/ May.

Thanks for all of your interest in this, sorry I am late to respond. Here are a few more photos. The outside body proper is essentially done, need to even out the depth of the panel lines, sand with 2000 grit, polish and add door handles, back up lights to the bumper, trunk crest and V and Sedan de Ville scripts.

DSCF7509.JPG

DSCF7510.JPG

DSCF7512.JPG

DSCF7514.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul !

WOW !!! great conversion !!! The car looks great, roof is awesome. Indeed, apart from refining the beginning of the side panel strip right after the front arch wheel, the body is perfect. I can't wait to buy one !.

By the way, as your kit is made from the Monogram Eldorado version,  are you going to offer the proper and accurate series 62 hubcaps to fit your conversion? 

Don't give up the great work! ;)

Edited by Jeffcad

This is fantastic, I am going to build a 1960 version as that is what I owned(see my avatar), I was also going to use the Modelhaus roof.
Paul, I do hope you don't think I am trying to hijack your post but I built this 1 /32 version many years ago when Gunze Sango brought out their 59, and built a 60 out of it.

DSCF0120.jpg

Yes Jean Phillipe the proper wheel covers are currently being made via 3 D printing, they will be fabulous. I do need to add a bit more taper to the side molding. The major conundrum I have on this kit is the hood. The shape of the Revell kit hood is all wrong, way too squared off. I would like to offer a corrected hood with the kit but it would be too thin to cast in resin. The other option would be to cast it in place, that would require removing the wheelhouses and fire wall. A lot of builders must have an opening hood. I personally would rather have an accurate shaped hood then an engine but that's just me. Actually, the whole body was too squared off. The Eldorado trim hid a lot of that. I gave the rocker panels more of an undercut, and rounded off the upper horizontal body line running from the front fender tops to the upper rear bumper ends. The center sides of the body on the Revell kit were dead flat. I added material there to continue the rounded look from top to bottom.

Edited by Paul Hettick
miss spelling