Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 cad sedan de Ville Flattop

Paul Hettick

7 hours ago, Paul Hettick said:

John I like your 60!

7 hours ago, Paul Hettick said:

The major conundrum I have on this kit is the hood. The shape of the Revell kit hood is all wrong, way too squared off. I would like to offer a corrected hood with the kit but it would be too thin to cast in resin. The other option would be to cast it in place, that would require removing the wheelhouses and fire wall.  

Thanks Paul :)

Have you looked at the Franklin mint die cast 1/24 Eldorado hood? It is a better shape than both the Revell/Monogram and AMT Ghostbuster Ambulance. To build a mould would mean a little work but looks far better and it almost fits as is except where it butts up to the windshield chrome. I think we are the only two on here who look at the Revell piece and think it looks off, even Modelhause's 60 has the original re popped with all the faults.

This is the Franklin part

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 19.59.29.png

Hi Paul,

Good news for the hubcaps !. Yeah you're right, the overall body and hood of that Revell Eldorado are a bit boxy. Like you, I am also way more interested in shape accuracy and proportions than some openings nor detailed chassis. I have no interest in building a motor either. The upper horizontal body line is a complicate detail to achieve cause it's already starting to gently curve until the upper rear bumper ends from the A pillar. On many 59 scale models, ( like 1/43 Spark Models 59 Cadillacs ) manufacturers have made that curve to start after the door(s) so it gave the model a square overall line, like a break. The shadows on that 1/1 flattop helps to see how delicate this curve is and how it is the exact extension of the front top fenders. Anyway I am sure you'll find a good solution for the hood, and hope your kit to be a success. Your job on the rear bumper grill is fantastic too!. For sure a 6 window version would interest me a lot, as well as a Coupe DeVille. Now I am probably letting my passion for Cadillac pushing my dreams too far but I'd also love so much to see any Cadillac limousines from 1963 to 1976 to be created someday...Problem is that 63 to 70 JoHan's coupe Deville are rare and expensive to use as donors, no Deville series from the 70's have ever been made except the 76 from Modelhaus, and frankly my skills are very limited for such conversions. Anyway!  ^_^ Please continue to share your work ! 

ch0911-115734_2@2x.jpg

Edited by Jeffcad

Ok, I knew I wasn't imagining things when I thought that the front end of the Monogram '59 Caddy was a bit 'off'. I always thought the area above the headlights was a bit tall and you guys' comments have reinforced that.

Another issue as to why I've never built the convertible when it was out (but know how to fix now) is to my eyes the windshield frame is ALL WRONG. Too low IMO, not enough curvature in the header and the vent windows just don't seem right to me. I am one of those however that likes a nice detailed chassis and engine to go with all those neat corrections on the body. I know I'm crazy..........my Mom's been telling me that for years! :P

I'd love to snag one of these sometime Paul when these become available. I can GUARANTEE you that once this turns up on the 'Bay, you'll see a feeding frenzy to get it! ;)

3 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

The upper horizontal body line is a complicate detail to achieve cause it's already starting to gently curve until the upper rear bumper ends from the A pillar. On many 59 scale models, ( like 1/43 Spark Models 59 Cadillacs ) manufacturers have made that curve to start after the door(s) so it gave the model a square overall line, like a break. The shadows on that 1/1 flattop helps to see how delicate this curve is and how it is the exact extension of the front top fenders.

image.png.912a7a57ac88fc303e6d58f569a213ca.png

It took me a minute to see what you were mentioning and now I see exactly what you mean. GM had a crafty way of making things just 'seem right' back in those days and it's interesting that ALL of the '59 GM line used the same type curvature. They all used the same basic front door (based on Buick which was first with the new for '59 design) and this is why we got to see those wild fins throughout the line.

That's a BEAUTIFUL car BTW and that color suits it big time! B) 

Definitely an opening hood, especially as it doesn't look that bad to me. The Revell kit has a nice engine bay and engine, so it would be a shame to cover that up. And personally as a builder, a resin kit with opening hood is always a million times more interesting than one with molded in hood, as then it will have to be opened up.

• 3 months later...