Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are We Losing Another Model Seller

TarheelRick

I realize many do not frequent Michael's for kit-buying. However they will occasionally have an older kit I am looking for and they do have a 40% coupon when using their phone app.  Over the past few days I have been in two different Michael's and their kit shelf is completely bare.  Both stores had only three car kits and maybe one or two airplane kits, plus the shelf space has been drastically reduced.  I have bought several pilfered kits at reduced prices from one of the local Michael's stores.  I am beginning to wonder if maybe they are going to quit models altogether?  Anyone heard anything?

Yes The Michaels in St. Catharines has stopped selling anything but snap tites;...today,.. 2 on the shelf <_<

I still go in to pick up supplies...wiring, paint, embossing powders, etc.... got my eye on a silhouette  cutter ;)

I take the 1 hour drive up the QEW to see Robin at Dundas Valley Hobbies

A couple of months ago I heard that they had some great sale prices on their kits. I got a few kits that I could use for parts and such in the $14.00 to $17.00 range. On some of them they even would take the 40% off coupon. The few that I have seen lately are back in the $28.00 plus range. They are sort of putting themselves out of the model business with their pricing policies.  

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Never had anything I wanted....even with a 50% off coupon. Wife goes now and then.....but their stock was always poor. 

Last 2 or 3 times I was in there, they had a few dozen kits on the shelf, but nothing I wanted/needed even with 50% off. :(

Nope,not too many models on the shelf at the Michaels near me.And even less at AC Moore.Lets face it Hobby Lobby is quickly becoming the place to get models,and they have tons of supplies,and paints.Thats if your lucky to have one near you.I mean even the last few LHS in my area don't have as much stuff as HL.Which is really a shame,cause I would rather keep the little guys stores going.Oh Well,there's also always EBay:P too I guess.

Edited by NYLIBUD

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Good job.Like I said,I think there are only about 5,or 6 LHS that I know of here on LI:(

I've been going to hobby shops since the mid 50's and sorry to have seen a lot of them go by the wayside, but it has been the sign of the times for awhile now. So be it as I can't change it, only support the shops that are left.

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Last 2 or 3 times I was in there, they had a few dozen kits on the shelf, but nothing I wanted/needed even with 50% off. :(

Ditto. I'm not seeing them as ever really being a "model seller" anyway. Mucho interesting stuff in the way of repurpose-able craft and jewelery items though.

With all the online model sites available, as well as eBay, or if you have a good LHS, I don't see much point in messing around with craft stores for models...unless of course they have 40-50%-off coupons on things people actually want.

20 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Nope,not too many models on the shelf at the Michaels near me.And even less at AC Moore.Lets face it Hobby Lobby is quickly becoming the place to get models,and they have tons of supplies,and paints.Thats if your lucky to have one near you.I mean even the last few LHS in my area don't have as much stuff as HL.Which is really a shame,cause I would rather keep the little guys stores going.Oh Well,there's also always EBay:P too I guess.

I'd like to keep the little guy in business too but the only one close now just moved here from a small town south of here and is owned by the wife's brother-in-law whom I will not do business with for personal reasons.

That said the only models he has on the shelf are ones that people don't come to get after ordering them.

Someone comes in looking for a kit he looks them up on the computer behind the counter, gives them a price (usually high retail) and if they order it he waits until they leave and shops ebay for the best deal he can find.

He makes most of his business off RC stuff.

There's a Hobby Lobby only about 5 miles from me, but I won't go near there this time of year! :o

I'd sooner visit my LHS for something I need, or if it's something rather esoteric, order it online such as eBay and wait for it. I'm not big on shopping as it is and this time of year with crowds that can be rude which makes it that much more annoying.

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

There's a Hobby Lobby only about 5 miles from me, but I won't go near there this time of year! :o

I'd sooner visit my LHS for something I need, or if it's something rather esoteric, order it online such as eBay and wait for it. I'm not big on shopping as it is and this time of year with crowds that can be rude which makes it that much more annoying.

I Couldn't agree with you more.But like I said,living on LI,in recent years,most of the LHS closed down.And three Hobby Lobby's have opened up.I don't know,it sucks,but once again for the little guy,it is getting harder and harder to keep their doors open.One thing that I find true,and I'm sure you heard it a bunch of times too,but its basically the kids today,and the internet that are shutting down hobby shops.Soon there won't be one around.Be sort of like no more Blockbusters or Hollywood video.Just wiped off the map.Not needed any longer..But I sure hope that day never comes.As I said before,there are only about 5,or 6 LHS with in a 40 mile radius.There used to be twice that amount..

Was at Hobby Lobby this afternoon and their shelves are overflowing with kits!

Poor girl was out there with a cart full trying to squeeze more in.

She said they aren't selling as good as they were a couple weeks ago. I told her take the 20% sale off and they will! Why would anyone buy them at 20% off when they can wait and get 40% off!

She said that they could not do that because all pricing comes down from corporate.

Told her they were cutting off their noses to spite their face with that attitude!

It sure doesn't look good.  A brand-new Michael's opened near me just a couple of months ago.  Shortly after it opened, I went in to check the kits.  The model shelf was nearly empty. The newest car model they had was the Starsky & Hutch Torino. 

Well, this was weird.  I just went to a Michael's in one of the biggest cities around here (Greenville, SC).  They still had the Testors paint rack, no discounts I could see. But EVERY model kit had a red "Clearance" sticker on it.  And they didn't have much - one AMT '51 Chevy hardtop, one MPC '75 Dodge Dart, one Revell '64 Chevy lowrider and a few others. 

Here's the punch line: the "Clearance" prices on all those kits was $27 to $29!  Even the Revell Snap Crown Vic police car and a couple of other snap-kits had those high prices on them. And I'm pretty sure they retailed for less than that at full price.  I remember buying the Crown Vic at Michael's and I think it was around $12 without the coupon.  No, I didn't buy anything.  It was like the old joke about the kangaroo walking into a bar:  "We don't get many kangaroos in here." "And at these prices, you won't be getting many more."