Model Cars Magazine Forum

Team Associates 73 Grand Am Nascar race Car

DoctorLarry

27 minutes ago, DoctorLarry said:

Test fitted to the body. Front chassis hoop is too tall so it looks like more fabrication. I will probably just whack all of the tubing off and start from scratch. The rest of it doesn't look too bad, though.

Larry sometimes it’s easier to leave the body and chassis together and  rough work the bars into it. Then disassemble it to do the finish up stuff. I do know when I did my HB car it was a ton of work to get it all fit together. 

Late sixties Boss 9s and Chrysler hemis. Top teams used them first. I took a stab at it and figured HB had a dry sump. I used the oil pan from the TBird kit on a Revell 68 Firebird 400 engine. The engine fit the chassis like it was actually  meant to be there. I would say by mid seventies all the cars were dry sump. Remember Herb Adams had a few connections inside GM ?

Edited by yellowsportwagon
Add

Christmas break from school means some time to tinker. I'm making slow progress. I have re-done the chassis and cage about 4 times and it looks like I'm going to have to drop the front frame section. This is a 66 GTO frame and pans, Elliot Thunderbird front clip and fuel cell and a scrap Cannonball Run chassis for the rest. All of the rear floor pans, tunnel and truck arm mounts are scratch built. Rear suspension from the T Bird. Scratch built front oil tank, dual remote oil filters and braided hoses. The body is one of my resins but after looking at the pictures of the real car I need way more flare on the wheel openings so a mushed resin 73 Chevelle I bought on EBAY  will donate its wheel flares (and its gas opening). Rear spoiler is a resin 73 Firebird one cut down and re-shaped. Seat is from a Buick Regal, I think.

body mod 4.jpg

body mod 1.jpg

chassis 1.jpg

rear diff cooler.jpg

rear spoiler.jpg

rear suspension.jpg

chassis 2.jpg

chassis 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,  

Looking around at my period magazines and searching for stuff to call out or identify, at the very least I can call your attention to a particular title and issue if you don't already have such in hand.  The May 1973 issue of Stock Car Racing apparently caught the debut of the effort even if the race report of the Winston Western 500/Riverside contest is dominated by event winner Mark Donohue in the Penske Matador.  Given reference to the Grand Am effort you are doing is short, I'll relate the paragraph to you here in full:

...A new team showed up and was warmly greeted by the road racing set.  Jerry Thompson of Clawson, Michigan, often suspected of fielding a backdoor General Motors entry in the Trans-Am, showed up with a Pontiac Grand-Am and a couple of Pontiac engineer types.  They had the usual trouble new teams experience getting through NASCAR's very tough technical inspection, qualified fastest on the second day, and motored around to finish 15th overall.  Undoubtedly the crew's inexperience held Thompson back in his NASCAR debut.  On its first pit stop the crew got the back wheels up before they stopped spinning, causing considerably delay.  Later they had to put out a carburetor fire during a brake-changing and engine-tuning session in the pits...

5c3bdd1a30ea9_GrandAmfile001.JPG.ba3034c9ac79e146fd632188b58f019d.JPG

As race reports go, this is a long article and hence there was much else going on that drowned out whatever further attention might have been paid to the fledgling outfit. Hope this helps!  

Oh - also see this color image via the new Petersen Publishing Archive.  Scan down a bit and you'll see it towards the left bottom:

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/search.php?search=riverside+winston+western+500+1973&k=&modal=&display=xlthumbs&order_by=relevance&offset=0&per_page=48&archive=&sort=DESC&restypes=1%2C3&recentdaylimit=&foredit=&go=next&offset=48

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

On 12/25/2018 at 11:08 AM, DoctorLarry said:

Know the site well. I have had two real Drand Ams. I had a 73 2 door and I currently own a 73 4 door sport sedan. I also have the original article that Horst references.

Nice Larry..!   We owned some nice Ponchos once...id love to build replicas of them someday...hope.

73 Grand Am

76 Can Am

75 TA

67,69,70,71,72,85 Grand Prix

63,64,68,69,70,72 Bonnevilles

64,68,69,70,72 Bonneville/safari wagons

70,74 GTO

70/71? Ventura/Sprint

Good - glad to help in some small way.  For searching the same PP archive, a long series of '73 Daytona 500 images turn up, while one has the topic shown nearly face on whilst on the banking.  It's in color, and while efforts to link you to a particular image via a URL haven't really translated to value, search '1973 NASCAR' or perhaps '1973 Daytona' and I'm confident you will find it.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Making slow progress. Totally re-did the front frame. Scratch built the tubing and shock mounts. Mounted the radiator, oil cooler and radiator puke tank, which I scratch built. Scratch built remote oil filters to match the real car. Wired the brake lines to a junction block. I will install the master cylinder later. Engine has plug wires and FireBall Models Holley. Dry sump holes are in the pan and after I plumb the carb I will add the pulleys, fan and dry sump pump. I will then connect all of the oil lines and move on to the dash. Interior has a photo etch harness, which was the most difficult and time consuming thing I've ever done. Window net is eighth inch ribbon and gauze padding unrolled.Cage is mostly scratch built. Now on to body, finish the firewall, add brake and fuel lines, and dash.

chassis mod 1.jpg

chassis mod 2.jpg

chassis mod 3.jpg

wired engine.jpg

Looks great - very agreeable progress right across the chassis.  Looking forward to more then...

Oh - and as usual and after the fact, here would be some close-in pictures of the remote filter mount sporting the pair of filters.  Locally I was afforded the opportunity to pour over the Herb Adams Gray Ghost ''71 Trans Am '64 Tempest before it was restored, hence the both the photos and their implied relevance.  I have a pair of projects going in relation to the 'Ghost in differing scales, although just in the moment, I thought I could plug in these images should they be of value to you.

5c3f623b0a693_GrayGhostImages010.JPG.0960fff155178d702325a633eac44c62.JPG 

5c3f5f7096beb_GrayGhostImages004.JPG.9e4eba1f062621cd4b8a4c9a58051315.JPG5c3f5f7e4590d_GrayGhostImages009.JPG.db618be8e1a73bfb85bf775bbd09a237.JPG

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

I tried to edit my post seen above to pump up the content.  I think I took about 150 Gray Ghost pictures when I was on the scene, hence other detail photographs are at my beck and call if only I sift through them carefully enough.  As for the 1:1 car, for quite some time the G.G. was quietly resting in a garage in nearby Brighton, MI., and for some exchange of messages, I was invited out to record everything I could with my digital camera, calipers, etc.  Gosh - the fellow even put the 1:1 car on jackstands so that I could further pour over it.  A terrific and rare experience this was as I'm sure you'll agree.  

As to my projects, I worried that it would be tacky to dilute focus from your own work for posting my own stuff on what is your thread.  Say 'please' and I could be persuaded to gingerly post some.

Mike K./Swede70 

Edited by swede70