Model Cars Magazine Forum

Team Associates 73 Grand Am Nascar race Car

DoctorLarry

Beautiful RL car, and great build. Am absolutely loving all the reference material in this thread.

Quick question and I am sorry if it was answered and I passed it by. The plumbing used on the engine, and oil cooler and whatnot, are they photoetched parts or is it various thickness wire, painted with transparent red and blue? Just curious as the pictures are just the perfect size that my garbage eyes cant make them out lol. 

Thanks in advance and cheers on the build.

Hi, Derick. The stuff I am using is beading supplies from my local Hobby Lobby. They are cylindrical glass beads (not the round ones) and they make flexible braided wire that can be easily bent to 90 degrees. They have three sizes so you can do large hoses like oil coolers as well as fuel and brake lines. The beads are Miyuki Delicate. Not cheap, but will last a lifetime.

beads and wire.jpg

Trying to get the engine in the chassis. Had to move the core support up closer to the nose.  I added a throttle linkage and return spring to the carb to mirror the original. I also put the wires on the battery and mounted it in the battery box I built to mimic the real car.

GA battery.jpg

throttle return.jpg

throttle return.jpg

Almost done with the chassis. Added front rotors/calipers, master cylinder and began running brake lines. Added steering box as well. I need to finish the brakes and add fuel line to the tank and pump, mount the engine and wire/plumb it all up. Then 180 degree headers and exhaust and we are ready for the body/ Also made some shocks for the rear and made brackets to mount them

front brakes 1.jpg

front brakes 2 flip.jpg

engine with alternator wired flip.jpg

Worked some yesterday evening. Put decals on the dash board and painted some on that. Added the rear fuel filter on the original car and plumbed the line to the fuel pump. Had to scratch build a drive shaft because I shortened the frame to fit the body but got that installed. Probably needs a drive shaft loop in the back but underneath is pretty much done. Still have to figure out exhaust, the fan shroud and the carb plate

chassis and dash 1.jpg

chassis and dash 2.jpg

dash 1.jpg

finished undercar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more done. Scratch built the front sway bar and heim joint ends. Mounted the seat after making the racing harness. That has to be the most time consuming and painful thing there is! The photo etch parts are so tiny that it is very hard to do. I used black crepe paper from a streamer to make the belts and then painted them to make them a little stiffer. Threading them into the photo etch was so hard to do! Seat belts are a snap compared to that ordeal. I am now working on the 180 degree headers and then the chassis is done.  Because of the contortions involved in building them I am using solder. I have seen a lot of builders make headers out of it so we will see how it goes.

interior 1.jpg

interior 2.jpg

interior 3.jpg

interior 4.jpg

Glued the wheels up and tweaked a few more things. Still needs exhaust and some more under hood details from the real car (shroud, hood pins, carb plate). Test fitted the chassis with wheels and one wheel ended up mis-aligned so I have to fix that. But I am getting closer.

body mount 1.jpg

body mount 2.jpg

body mount 3.jpg

body mount 4.jpg

body mount 5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got my decal sheets from Speedway in the mail today and they are beautiful. They were not inexpensive but great art never is. This will be a very expensive build when it is all said and done but it will look killer, just like the real car. Now I just have to finish the body!

decal sheet 2.jpg