Model Cars Magazine Forum
DoctorLarry

Team Associates 73 Grand Am Nascar race Car

When you mention “nascar manual” I assume you are referring to a book. What would the title be so I could track a copy down.

I could not find a copy. The pages were on Cotton Owens' web site. He had a few pages. I looked on EBAY but could not find the actual manual.

Began final work on this project. I got the body smoothed out and primed. Shot it with Dupli Color auto paint but was not happy with the finish so I re-shot it with Model Master black lacquer. I have a couple of things to finish on the chassis and finish the underside of the hood. After it cures a little I will wet sand and buff then Molotow and decals. Then on to the Minter Firebird.

GA painted 1.jpg

GA painted 2.jpg

GA painted 3.jpg

Good choice re-shooting with the Model Masters. Looks Awesome..

Getting near (I hope) to the end on this one.  I got some Molotow chrome on the window moldings, added the glass retaining straps and clips to the windows and put the trunk lid pins and clips in.  On the chassis I finally finished the 180 degree headers and am mocking up the tail pipes.  Made the shroud and carb plate for the hood.  There are a few more details to work out then clean and detail the body with decals. Then on to a hopefully shorter build next.

180 degree headers.jpg

carb plate.jpg

exhaust fit.jpg

Final Stages: Chassis done. I added the fuel fill and vent lines, chassis jacks, exhaust and trunk fill panel. Made a window net from gauze bandage and ribbon and added the hold down seat belt. Touched up the paint and it is ready for the body.

finished chassis 1.jpg

finished chassis 2.jpg

finished chassis 3.jpg

finished chassis 4.jpg

finished chassis 5.jpg

finished chassis 6.jpg

@DrLarry and @yellowsportwagon,  The NASCAR Grand Am used a rear sway bar, same configuration as the production 2nd generation Camaro/Firebird sway bar we used after the first race on the 1964 Tempest Gray Ghost in the Trans-Am series, and, naturally, on the 1972 Firebird Trans Am Trans-Am series car.

At the Riverside debut, we were the outsiders with an outsider driver, Jerry Thompson,. Herb Adams was called to meet with the officials privately, who told him, that we would have a lot easier time if we hired one of the NASCAR regular drivers. In those days, tech inspection came to you according to whatever arbitrary order they wanted. They didn't even come to look at the car until after qualifying for the first 15 positions had been completed. We qualified 17th, 2nd fastest of the 2nd day qualifiers. We ran as high as 7th before we had a problem with the brakes.