Model Cars Magazine Forum

In Box: Revell 1:16 Porsche 356C Cabriolet 07043

The 356C Cabriolet came in today and got the box open.

As assumed and predicted, it does share a lot with the 356B easy-click, a lot of shared parts, together with the easy-click system. But it is more detailled and has opening/hinged parts.

I'll start soon with a syncro-build to see where the real differences/similarites are.

356C001.jpg

356C002.jpg

356C003.jpg

356C004.jpg

356C005.jpg

356C006.jpg

356C007.jpg

356C008.jpg

356C009.jpg

356C010.jpg

356C011.jpg

356C012.jpg

356C013.jpg

356C014.jpg

356C015.jpg

356C016.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Erik... it makes me a tad annoyed at Revell... as far as I can see, including two (maybe 3) of the smallest supplementary sprues in the coupe would give you everything you need to build that kit full detail with everything opening as well... it's a real pity they didn't! Looking forward to the side by side build!

best,

M.

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Thanks for posting these, Erik... it makes me a tad annoyed at Revell... as far as I can see, including two (maybe 3) of the smallest supplementary sprues in the coupe would give you everything you need to build that kit full detail with everything opening as well... it's a real pity they didn't! Looking forward to the side by side build!

best,

M.

Completely agree!

Ben

Aha. This one's a C while the snapper is a B, apparently. I see. At least they give you one naked wheel to pull a mold from. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of brake details (this car would have discs as opposed to the B's drums). Obviously it was tooled to a projected price, as the Tamiya FUJIMI 1/24 kits have far more detail and much higher parts count. The engine and gearbox are a little lame, especially for a large scale.

Still, if the proportions and lines are right, it looks like it should build up into a beautiful model relatively easily, or provide a fine start for some scratch detailing to add all the greasy bits Tamiya thought were important.

Now somebody really needs to tool a set of 1/16 911 Fuchs wheels, and a pair of downdraft Weber carbs...and a 4-cam engine. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Body molded in black?  I wonder if they are trying to cater to the modelers who do not wish to paint their Porsche (or paint it black)?

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Now somebody really needs to tool a set of 1/16 911 Fuchs wheels, and a pair of downdraft Weber carbs...and a 4-cam engine.

Perfect task for 3D printing. :D

Thinking about it, given the difficultly I had getting the interior into the coupe version and the significant flexing I had to do in the process, I'd be seriously worried about breaking the cabrio body shell, given that you have to remove the beams in the doors to get them to open and cut away that large "spider" of runner across the top... It seems that the sills below the door are all that there is until the interior and floor pan are in place...

best,

M,

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Aha. This one's a C while the snapper is a B, apparently. I see. At least they give you one naked wheel to pull a mold from. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of brake details (this car would have discs as opposed to the B's drums). Obviously it was tooled to a projected price, as the Tamiya 1/24 kits have far more detail and much higher parts count. The engine and gearbox are a little lame, especially for a large scale.

Still, if the proportions and lines are right, it looks like it should build up into a beautiful model relatively easily, or provide a fine start for some scratch detailing to add all the greasy bits Tamiya thought were important.

Now somebody really needs to tool a set of 1/16 911 Fuchs wheels, and a pair of downdraft Weber carbs...and a 4-cam engine. :D

Not sure if you read it in Matt's topic, but I am working on drawing the standard wheels in a multi-piece way,  with seperate drums. Casting from the spare one in this kit is possible, but it is the best looking. I hope to get my resin printer in january and will be able to print them in resin, rather than I can now with filament.

Where I love the Fuchs on a 911, I don't think they are a good match for a 356, it doesn't look right. But hey, that is my opinion haha.

I have 2 weeks vacation starting next week, where I hope to get things started on the B and C next to each other.

6 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Not sure if you read it in Matt's topic, but I am working on drawing the standard wheels in a multi-piece way,  with seperate drums. Casting from the spare one in this kit is possible, but it is the best looking. I hope to get my resin printer in january and will be able to print them in resin, rather than I can now with filament...

When you have those wheels and drums ready, you have an instant buyer if you want to do an extra set. The rare Rudge knockoffs would be great for these kits too.

Image result for Porsche 356 Rudge wheels   image.jpeg.72b0b885c7766834e141a461956d8f88.jpeg

Frankly, as large scale as these are, and as popular as the 356 series is all over the world, I could see quite a little aftermarket industry sprouting up to make all manner of upgrades.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

9 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Thinking about it, given the difficultly I had getting the interior into the coupe version and the significant flexing I had to do in the process, I'd be seriously worried about breaking the cabrio body shell, given that you have to remove the beams in the doors to get them to open and cut away that large "spider" of runner across the top... It seems that the sills below the door are all that there is until the interior and floor pan are in place...

best,

M,

If I were building this, I'd practice getting the easiest way possible to get everything in after the interior is done. Nothing drives me crazier than to get things all built up and then go through tons of drama to get it all together. It's one of the reasons 99% of the time I save painting the body for last.

Looking at where those support beams are located, perhaps it might be better to leave those in place after the body is painted and interior put in and then cut those off afterwards?

You could always touch up those spots that were cut after the fact.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:06 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Aha. This one's a C while the snapper is a B, apparently. I see. At least they give you one naked wheel to pull a mold from. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of brake details (this car would have discs as opposed to the B's drums). Obviously it was tooled to a projected price, as the Tamiya 1/24 kits have far more detail and much higher parts count. The engine and gearbox are a little lame, especially for a large scale.

I'm going to presume you mean Fujimi, as in the Enthusiast Series, as Tamiya kits don't have 174 parts in 1/24 and they certainly didn't do any 356 Porsches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19-12-2018 at 2:10 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

When you have those wheels and drums ready, you have an instant buyer if you want to do an extra set. The rare Rudge knockoffs would be great for these kits too.

Frankly, as large scale as these are, and as popular as the 356 series is all over the world, I could see quite a little aftermarket industry sprouting up to make all manner of upgrades.

Even though it is too late for my own 2 356's (or I might retrofit them later), since they are both finished, I started drawing the wheels anyway today.

I am going for a 2-piece set-up, first the drum and then the wheel itself.

49304795_1142292402587367_87408978863859

• 3 years later...

I built the coupe a few years back.  I actually clear coated it and didn't paint the body.  I painted the engine and interior etc.  It ended up being a great looking kit but it did have some issues like the interior tub fit and I think the windows were quite a bit of a headache too.  Good luck with your build and I would really have liked to have a set of Rudge wheels back when I build mine.   

• 3 weeks later...