Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not your average Porsche 959 Club Sport

89AKurt

Kitbashed the Tamiya Porsche 959 with the Tamiya Speedster 'Club Sport', because the kit was the donor for the resin transkit of the 959 Paris-Dakar project.  This was intended for fun, and to experiment with a different hinge, and doing Rhino Liner.  It's a curbside because the engine and some of the suspension parts were used for the other project.  The intended use is camera car, to be used on the race track or historic rally (but not WRC rally LOL).  I managed to bugger it up in places. :angry: 
Salvaged parts are transistor radio speaker grill, guitar string (wire), aluminum newspaper printing plate, Fujimi steel screen, various parts box pieces, resin copy of Vehicross gas cap, baking soda can seal lid (not seen, should take bottom picture).  I had also raised the wing with 0.1" plastic, and added scoops.

I also tried out the new 18-300MM lens on the Nikon, not happy with the lack of depth of field.

Gives new meaning to "let's roll!"

DSC_0140_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0144_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0146_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0147_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0148_Fotor.jpg

DSC_0152_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7297_Fotor.jpg

1 hour ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

I would have chosen some other wheels (but there´s no accounting for taste). The body mods are awesome! Creative and convincing! I like it!

Yea, I have a stash of aftermarket wheels, but the hollow spoke magnesium factory wheels are really advanced, and I wanted to see how Alclad magnesium looked.

Thank you, and everyone else, appreciate the support.  Maybe I'll keep building models.  :P

2 hours ago, Dougboy said:

Not sure what I'd make of the end result. Not my automotive cup of tea. But theres no denying the excellent execution and craftsmanship of a very interesting automotive idea. 

We all have our favorite subjects.  I'm not into lowriders, but I've seen some paint jobs that blew me away, appreciate the effort of masking and getting metal flake through an airbrush, for example.

Thank you everyone.

Now I've gone into OCD mode, *had to* add b+b logo.  I also *had to* add rally style mud flaps, just because it's a detail I like to make.  In this case, the right side extends out when the door is open.  The left side is red to accentuate the asymmetrical theme.

IMG_8867_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8873_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8871_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8872_Fotor.jpg

So I'm at the Honda dealer, to find out that sitting in the car listening to the radio for about 15 minutes will kill the perfectly operating battery.

I see this article and think "great, I need to build a camera and first segment of the boom now". Mine would be much less cumbersome. 

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 7:45 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

VERY nice conversion. I followed the build thread. Pretty cool.

I have an old AMT parts pack with an old-school TV camera. Its design dates to the 1960s, but you're welcome to the camera if you want it.

I just saw this, sorry I didn't respond.  Appreciate the offer, but that's ok.  Days need to be 36 hours if I have any chance to add camera equipment.

I found the license plates made for my first 959.  Took some pictures after the VW session.
IMG_0024_Fotor.thumb.jpg.85a8bff0b5e72dfe0792826cb2cbeafe.jpgIMG_0029_Fotor.thumb.jpg.3a9672a9ca90fde457fdf93adef58b3a.jpgIMG_0027_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2f32e608cdc87f7f3208bf2f4b4a6807.jpg

Might as well show the bottom.  Because it's a parts box curbside, I covered the engine bay with the foil lid from a baking soda can.
IMG_0030_Fotor.thumb.jpg.3e4c79200f7e16073ca348e20b73ff0a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, Gramps46 said:

Thanks for the update.  Very nice build.

Thank you!

On 4/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, ismaelg said:

I remember following the WIP but somehow missed this thread.  Great concept and execution!

No worries, I have too!  Thanks.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:38 AM, wmobie said:

Brilliant concept, brilliant execution. Well done!

Walt O'Brien

Appreciate it!

On 4/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, Scalper said:

Crazy crazy crazy. But it’s practical for what it’s designed for.  Nice work. Looks mean from the back. 

The person operating the camera would need to be.  :blink:  Thank you.