Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chisel recommendation

Hi,

I've found myself using chisels more so then not and that they help me.

There are 2 chisels that I have narrowed it down to and both are in 3mm widths.

Trumpeter Master Tools;

Seems high end, but is narrow so getting a good grip may be an issue.

Umm USA;

I like the beveled end but the plastic handle, although seemingly better to grip kinda bugs me.

What do you all think?

s-l1600.jpg

UMM14 ULTRA MICRO CHISEL- 3.0mm DOUBLE BEVELED.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

I use this set of small chisels by Veritas and find them extremely handy on the model bench. They are a high quality tool set,  3 1/4" long with blade widths of 1/8", 1/4", & 3/8", made of quality tool steel and wood handles. They are sold through Lee Valley in Canada and are not cheap at $47.50 Canadian dollars (less than $40 USD), but so useful they are well worth the price. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72391&cat=1,41504

05P8501s15.jpg

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

I use this set of small chisels by Veritas and find them extremely handy on the model bench. They are a high quality tool set,  3 1/4" long with blade widths of 1/8", 1/4", & 3/8", made of quality tool steel and wood handles. They are sold through Lee Valley in Canada and are not cheap at $47.50 Canadian dollars (less than $40 USD), but so useful they are well worth the price. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72391&cat=1,41504

05P8501s15.jpg

Wow, those look real nice.

Thanks for this.  I don't see myself using any but the smallest one being 1/8" which equates to 3.175mm.

BTW, how to you keep the sharp corners from digging into the plastic?  Do you file the down to be a bit rounded?

Edited by aurfalien

21 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Wow, those look real nice.

Thanks for this.  I don't see myself using any but the smallest one being 1/8" which equates to 3.175mm.

BTW, how to you keep the sharp corners from digging into the plastic?  Do you file the down to be a bit rounded?

Keeping the corners from digging in does require a bit of diligence. I considered stoning the corners to soften them and reduce their tendency to gouge the surface, but I find there are many uses for chisels, and the sharp corners are frequently useful. I often use the chisels for cutting stock material (sheet plastic, thin sheet aluminium, various tapes and other soft construction materials) by placing the material on a hardwood block that I keep for that purpose. Just by pushing the chisel edge into the material by hand, you can make very accurately place small length cuts. The chisel corners are also useful for getting into tight corners during some scraping/cleaning operations. In the end one must be careful when doing surface work on plastic, but in my scratchbuilding efforts I find the sharp corners very useful.