Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hendrickson Paymaster

So, I grew up in Oregon and I remember seeing these odd trucks running around. I also remember that they were made in Oregon. The truck is the Hendrickson Paymaster. I know there have been posts of the Ryder R-100 Paymaster that was built with a contract from Ryder, but I never saw these, the ones I saw were all log trucks or OTR type long haul stuff. I have located some pictures and wanted to post them here. The fist 4 are the ones I saw a lot of, the 5th on is from a town not far from me, so I am sure I saw this one at least one or twice. I could see the Hwy from my house and these truck would pass by all the time.

Maybe someday I would build one in scale. Could be a fun project.

As a side note, the truck in picture #2 must have been on the road a while, the Lincoln in the background is a early 90" and does not look new, the Ford truck looks to be mid 90's. It is the same truck as #3, but showing faded and rock chipped paint.

4baedb87818f43838e809517ca86df9e.jpg

4668026152_7fec1b80e6_b.jpg

8013252365_56b6c73ac1_b.jpg

scan002.jpg

b0c3b85d2e7a43bfcdec234fe2fd8c0e.jpg

dscn4747.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

52 minutes ago, clayton said:

I remember see them too. What happened to the company?

Hendrickson is still around: https://www.hendrickson-intl.com/

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/12/truck-rewind-tesla-semi-1975-hendrickson-paymaster/

“The Paymaster was a truck ahead of its time. Major truck manufacturers told Dean his design would be impossible to build, so he did it himself. After building the first two, Dean granted a license agreement to Hendrickson International of Chicago, Illinois, who produced ten Paymasters in the 1970s.” – – tenfourmagazine.com