Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram's 69 Camaro Series

disconovaman

On 1/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, Mr mopar said:

close enough to the Centerline looking wheels that were on the Monogram kit.

1 hour ago, dodgefever said:

That's a Motor Wheel Fly

Thanks, I wasn't sure what they were... I knew they couldn't be Centerline... this kit was released in 77 and I think the Telstar didn't come around til the 90's. I could be wrong but I don't remember seein them before then... I had a set on my old nova back in the day... I'd still like to see the Telstars get made in 1:25th scale.

20190107_105431.jpg

Back at the bench busy applying some decals... I desided not to alter the decals to fit the 1/25th kit. I built this kit with these decals before and I cut them down to fit but I never liked the result... I'll bury them in clearcoat tomorrow supposed to be in the 60's.

One thing I can't use on the camaro is the 1:24th hood scoop... I'll have to find a 1:25th snorkel scoop... Can anyone think of what I can use? I don't want the scoop to be permanent, it will just sit on the hood for display.  Thanks for any suggestions...

20190107_151212.jpg

20190107_192528.jpg

20190107_200052.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

So I take it you didn't think much of my RS grille work, then?:wacko:

No buddy, please don't think that... I just haven't been able to process the information. I do think the Revell grill is to far out to the surface so whatever you are doin to move it back will look 100 times better.

I was gonna comment on the headlight doors opening... but I'm still tryin to figure out how I could get them to open and shut... 

4 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

No buddy, please don't think that... I just haven't been able to process the information. I do think the Revell grill is to far out to the surface so whatever you are doin to move it back will look 100 times better.

I was gonna comment on the headlight doors opening... but I'm still tryin to figure out how I could get them to open and shut... 

The Revell grille's not too far out, the headlight doors are too far BACK. The grill portion is only about an inch or so deep. The Revell kit makes it look three inches deep. 

Not sure how my mod is gonna look until I get it done. If I don't like the way the doors look, I'll just leave 'em off and mount the headlights in there. The real car had a vacuum switch you could flick and the doors would stay open. I used to do that with my real one sometimes just for a different look. B)  When I got it painted, I had the RS stuff taken off and a standard grille put in, which I liked a lot better in those days. That's how I happen to have a real RS grille hanging in my garage. :lol:

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The grill portion is only about an inch or so deep. The Revell kit makes it look three inches deep. 

Yeah you're right... that's why it looks weird... I couldn't pinpoint the problem... You're tryin to get the doors to be closer in depth to the grill... This modification will make it look more correct... 

As I stated before I've had 3 myself and 2 were RS 327 cars and one was standard Plain Jane 307 2 speed powerglide on the colum... 

The Monogram series have the standard grill so I won't be using the RS grill on any of those. I like the "doors opened look" for the next RS grill I use... Thanks for the tip. 

That interior tub I butchered up will also be in that car. I'm gonna paint it like that original Monogram car you built back in the day... All of them will be right here in this thread... Keep on trucking...

Working on the engine today, particularly the carburetor for the Revell camaro. I always drill the center out, add the end of a staple, and a corner of the decal sheet. glue those two together and then glue that into the opening of the carb... paint it gold and there you have a touch of realism... if you're gonna display it without the breather that is... If not, then nevermind. 

Also, I got the body clear coated... nice and shiny. Next step is polishing.

Screenshot_20190107-200116.jpg

Screenshot_20190108-150630.jpg

20190108_112627.jpg

Screenshot_20190108-151311.jpg

Screenshot_20190108-151239.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Titanium Gold light brown wash

Thanks guys, I have some Tamiya colors and I've forgotten what combinations to use over the years. lol...

Most of the time I just use the first thing I grab lol... I still have to fab the twin turbos so I'm thinking that carb might not get used anyways...?

Screenshot_20190108-190511.jpg

First, sand the backs off the wheels so the middle is removed...             

Next, insert the wheel backs and the newly sanded ring into the tires (side note:  you can paint that ring flat red for a red line tire look).                           

Last, pop the stock rally wheel into the built tire and wheel and suddenly you have 20 inch Rally wheels.

the centers from the custom wheels can also be salvaged and added if you like that look better. This method will make the wheel deeper in appearance. 

Edited by disconovaman

29 minutes ago, KWT said:

But you lost me on the first step...

No problem I was a little vague...lol.

I have a peice of a 80 grit sand paper for an air file sander stuck on a peice of 1X wood board and I just lay the wheel flat on the wheel back and sand it til the center falls out.

Screenshot_20190110-200456.jpg

25 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

For the scoop why not modify the scoop to make it smaller.  

I was about to do that, when I knoticed the hood from the 1/25th AMT 67 Chevelle ProStreet was the same snorkel from the 69 camaro. I had to slightly modify it (sand it flat on the bottom) by using my trusty board file tool. I use that thing alot... lol...

Screenshot_20190110-202420.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, disconovaman said:

Thanks guys, I have some Tamiya colors and I've forgotten what combinations to use over the years. lol...

Most of the time I just use the first thing I grab lol... I still have to fab the twin turbos so I'm thinking that carb might not get used anyways...?

Screenshot_20190108-190511.jpg

We have kicked around this particular engine a couple of times. If done per the instructions the engine wouldn't work. Check out Accel Turbosonic stuff online to get fucntional setups.

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Cut your stripes

I did on the trunk and spoiler but because the original decals are so old they were a little stiff. They broke on me a little here and there on the upper valance panel had to touch it up with paint. ?

But now that I have clear on them they seem to be ok. I used a razor and made a tiny cut and used some decal set and clearcoat on a toothpick to push them down into the door seals. Look better now Snake?

20190114_132006.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Check out Accel Turbosonic stuff online to get fucntional setups.

That is Awesome! thanks for the information... I was wondering how I could get the set-up to look more accurate. Maybe the duel carb set-up would be easier to pull off too. any suggestions on what parts to use?