Model Cars Magazine Forum

289 Cobra 1/43..replicating my 1:1 car

Mark IV

Al little more progress. Been really busy at "work" (when you sell GT40s, Cobras and Caterhams it's a stretch to call it "work") so not a lot of bench time available. Redid the seats, added the down tubes from the cowl to the front suspension tower and more. Working on the tubes that hold the bumperettes and over riders in lieu of the single, thick post Monogram supplied.

100_0889.JPG

100_0892.JPG

100_0894.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some bench time. I had removed the single, large post Monogram used to locate the bumperettes and replaced with two thin posts as per the real car. I also removed the parting lines on the bumper hoops with a Flexi-File to improve the look. Of course this removed the plating, I could have sent them for plating but instead airbrushed them with Molotow "chrome". This stuff rocks! Wish we had it years ago when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Compare to the red car.

Also did a new set of seats to better replicate the leather. Added some Chart Tape belts with buckles and the leather buckle under pad done with some paint and the aforementioned Molotow. Made a better shifter turning the boot out of sprue and using a piece of wire with a paint glob for the knob. Added a turn signal switch (and yes, on the Cobra they are on the right side of the column!)

Installing emblems, I like to use Tamiya clear as it holds well and if smeared can be polished off if it is noticeable at all!

Looking for something to use to replace the steering wheel rim as it is about 4 inches thick in scale. Looking at hard "O" rings, etc. to find something of proper thickness and diameter. Open to suggestions?

100_0916.JPG

100_0909.JPG

100_0914.JPG

100_0913.JPG

100_0908.JPG

Edited by Mark IV

Also used some craft store "glass paint" for the turn signals. This is for painting glass to replicate stained glass and when put over plating makes really good amber and red signals.

Edited by Mark IV
"Good" not "food"!!!

Working on the windscreen mounting. The two little tabs that locate the unit are long since sanded away. The first paint job was ruined when I used some temporary tacking putty to hold the windscreen in place, the putty ate into the paint so a strip and repaint was required. I have now duplicated the black rubber molding that runs under the lower frame piece and am using Tamiya tape to locate the mounting. Still undecided about what to use to secure the frame to the body, slow or fast setting epoxy? Or something else?

And also a shot of my solution for paint palettes, glue depositories for when you use a pin to apply, etc. These are Formica samples that you can get at home stores. I have a chain with about 200 that I have been using for years. When they are filled up, toss 'em and break out a new one!

100_0918.JPG

100_0919.JPG

100_0920.JPG