Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Ford 427?

On 2019-01-04 at 5:50 AM, bykr said:

The intakes are the main difference besides the valve covers. The 2x4 intakes on the 427 high hiser engine had a taller intake. 

Yes the intake manifold on the Hi-Riser is taller as it's a dual plane with straighter runners into the taller 1.34 x 2.72 rectangular ports on the Hi-Riser heads, Ford also did a single 4bbl intake manifold for NASCAR use.
NASCAR banned the Hi-Riser soon after and it was only used for a short time and Ford developed the Medium Riser instead, the Hi-Riser was allowed in drag racing tho'.

Edited by Force

• 1 year later...

Allthough it has many details and parts it does not look like it's the best representation of a FE engine...the package says 427 but the 427 version of the FE never came with the tri-power option like the 390 and 406 did, it will fit but I don't believe any 427 left the factory with one as it just was available with single or dual 4 bbl carb (Q and R-Code).

16 minutes ago, Force said:

Although it has many details and parts it does not look like it's the best representation of a FE engine.

I think I would agree, based upon what I can see in the two images above. The bevels on the valve covers looks a bit too sharp for starters.

4 hours ago, afx said:

I have one but haven't built it.

If you feel up for taking and posting pics, I'd be interested in seeing the details of the bellhousing and cover (adapter plate?) pieces at the very least.

Edited by Casey

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think I would agree, based upon what I can see in the two images above. The bevels on the valve covers looks a bit too sharp for starters.

Yup, they will for sure interfere with the outer rockers and rocker shafts if it was a real engine, and they also looks to be a bit too wide from top to bottom.
They should also have five bolts for attachment to the heads and intake manifold, two at the bottom (wich I can see) and three at the top (not really visible on the pics above).

Edited by Force

• 1 month later...

If it shares anything with their GT40 kit, Casey, it appears to be underscale...P1113633.JPG.e13a219df365858fc6ff395ab397c56f.JPG

On 1/3/2021 at 6:38 PM, Deuces ll said:

How about the Moebius FE kit engines????.... By the looks of things, the AMT parts might fit those....??

They sure will, as moebius poached their FE engines and chassis almost directly from the amt 75-79 F350 designs. The 360/390 that amt supplied in their kits, calling it a 460,  was pretty elemental and the newer tooling in the fairlanes and starliners  is better.

Edited by mk11

You are absolutely right, sir, it is strange. In this case I think it's called marketing... or a mistake made by same. It's true that the two engine families may have had similar looking water pumps/front dress, and even an oil filter in roughly the same place, but that's where it ended. Here's a pic of the standard '68 - '76  2bbl 360/390 FE truck engine. The 4bbl was an option only in '75-'76. P1010036.JPG.b4746abe2d02444e9d667e2442598537.JPG

This standard exterior design (almost all had the 352 cast on the front) stands in for almost anything FE in scale, with appropriate changes to the valve covers, manifolds, color and oil filter mounting.. 

scan0008-vi.jpg

1960FordStarlinerHkB08-vi.jpg

Edited by mk11

I am very familiar with both engine types as I have worked on them a lot, I help a friend with his Super Comp Dragster with a 460 in it as a mechanic and I'm currently putting together a 390 based 445 stroker for my 1963½ Ford Galaxie 500XL Fastback.
These engines are as different as apples and pears.

• 1 year later...

So, dumb question from a Ford engine dummy - are there big differences between, say, the 60s FE blocks and the much more modern ones like you’d find in the Revell Deuce and Mustang kits?

I know the injection setups are very different obviously…but are these engines kind of like Small Block Chebbys where you could pretty easily backdate a much more modern engine to look really close to an earlier one?  And do people do that in 1:1?

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

So, dumb question from a Ford engine dummy - are there big differences between, say, the 60s FE blocks and the much more modern ones like you’d find in the Revell Deuce and Mustang kits?      Engines in the Revell Deuce kits are smallblocks, not FEs. The smallblock came from the Ford factory in 221-260-289-302-351 displacements from 1961-2002, are all basically similar visually, and can all be equipped with old-school carbs or modern factory or aftermarket EFI.    Mustang kits can have just about anything in them, depending on the specific kit.

I know the injection setups are very different obviously…but are these engines kind of like Small Block Chebbys where you could pretty easily backdate a much more modern engine to look really close to an earlier one?  And do people do that in 1:1?        Yes...depending of course on the specific engine. Kinda hard to make a 4.6 4-cam look like a pushrod FE.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Thanks 1

Speaking as a Ford guy, Ford engines are... difficult to get a handle on. There are three 351 engines, two of which are kind of similar, one is completely different. There is also a 427, 428, and 429 that have three different blocks and two completely different engine architectures.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

The plot thickens!  I've got a lot to learn about the Ford engine range, apparently...thanks for the expert insight Bill! 

Speaking as a Ford guy, Ford engines are... difficult to get a handle on. There are three 351 engines, two of which are kind of similar, one is completely different. There is also a 427, 428, and 429 that have three different blocks and two completely different engine architectures.

• Like 1