Model Cars Magazine Forum

50's Sports Racer, Lister Knobbly (Jag/Chev)

Dave B

Anybody that checks my threads would know I like to build 50/60's sports racing cars, particulary from old slot cars or toys.  My latest pick up from a mate was a rough fibreglass Lister Knobbly body that another friend had pulled off an old vacform slot car body back in the 60's.  Part of the rear was missing and the sills were straight, not curved, to allow the original to be removed from the mould.  I checked the scale and as it came in marginally smaller than 1/24th I decided to have a go and see how it looked after some work.  The sills were cut off and new ones shaped from MDF, vacformed and attached.  The rear was deepend using styrene.  For those Lister fans out there the rear is still incorrect, it should curve under but this one is relatively straight.  I filled the area between the rear guards with epoxy to give it a more correct higher tail, it looked a bit like a Birdcage Maserti at the rear!! Anyway after some work it looked reasonable so I put it into silicon and that is the status at the moment.  Shortly I will slush form a resin body, cut out the broken windscreen and form a new one from MDF coated in epoxy, I can then pull a vacform.  Won't be built for a while but look for it "under glass" in a few months time.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

I have slush cast a couple of bodies using old resin and also made a mould of the windscreen, repaired the damage and vac formed one.  Looking OK so far but I need to undercoat a body before going any further to make sure the resin is still OK.  If they are OK will build one as a Jag powered version with 'D' type wheels and one as a Chevy with early Halibrands.   I may also cut some louvres into the lower side panels of the Chevy version in front of where the exhausts would exit and consider removing the air scoop on the side of the bonnet which is for the Jag powered version Webers, just so they are different.

Tks for looking

Dave B

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

• 1 month later...

Done a little bit more to these.  The bodies are not exactly 'square' but neither was the master!!  Although they are curbside I am building one supposedly Jag powered with Dunlop wheels and the other Chevy with exhausts both sides, side louvres and kidney bean Halibrands.  The Jag version will be a tribute to Archie Scott-Brown and the Chevy a fictitious American racer. I have removed the Weber bonnet scoop from the Chevy version.

Hopefully they will look OK on the shelf.  Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG