Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Evergreen/Plastruct/Brass to use as a Truck frame?

For an upcoming project I am going to need to build a really, really long truck frame. The good news it it will be completely straight, no bends, curves, dip, etc. What would be the best to use for this? Is there an Evergreen or Plastruct that is right size? Or Brass?

Is it to be a semi frame? If so there are CNC extruded frame rails available in various kustom length's. I think his name is Gary Wallace that sells them, I don't have his info handy but maybe someone can supply his contact info. If that's what you're looking for?! Good luck!!!

What I would like to find is at least 10mm or 3/8in, but would prefer 1/2in or 12-13mm. I may have to have it cut out of flat sheet and make it myself. I like the idea of brass, but I would have to get sheet the right length, draw up the frame and related cross members and have them cutout for me. The I would need to solder it all together. It would be stronger, but I don't really need that much strength.

I know it sounds crazy, but it is for a very special project. See this post:

I am going to make this kind of truck and the frame will need to go all the way from the front to the back. I am going to use a 40 foot trailer box as the base, the "Cab" will be added to the front of that. It may not end up being 48 foot long, but will be close.

5 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

That does help. So I need .4in x.12in at least, I would be happy with .5x.125 if I could find anything.

I bought a ton of styrene off someone on eBay a good while back. Included is a piece which, I believe, is close to the measurements you stated. I do not know the brand. It is 30 inches long (approx). A good hobby or scale train store might stock it if there is one near you.

plasticrect 001.jpg

plasticrect 002.jpg

plasticrect 003.jpg

Edited by DPNM

Two things to consider.

1.  If you are using C channel stock consider adding a piece of flat strip stock to the inside of the web.  That will add thickness but you won't see it from the outside and it will help stiffen the long section to reduce bending.

2.  You can also fishplate the beam to make it deeper in the middle.  that is where most of the deflection will be and you can eliminate a lot of it by adding a deeper piece of sheet stock in the center.  When you glue the two pieces together you will notice an immediate increase in stiffness with either method.

That is a good idea. I am not sure I will need to add that much stiffness beyond the cross members. The frame will be attached to a box trailer and it will get stiffness from that. There will only be a few inches that will be unsupported by the box, and it will hold the "Cab" section on the front.

If this was going to be a Tractor style truck, it would need more support, but this is going to be more like a Bus, than a truck.

On 20/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, Oldmopars said:

I know it sounds crazy, but it is for a very special project. See this post:

Ah, makes sense now.  That's a neat project, I'll follow with interest.

I've used Plastruct ABS, which comes in channel sections that are roughly 10" and 12" deep in 1/25.   This is the larger section, with styrene added to bring the flanges to the width I needed.  It's a bit floppy in longer lengths, so you have to take care to keep it straight while you're assembling everything.

foden04-vi.jpg

Very interesting project for sure !! I've seen photos of the yellow / green one before and thought how cool a model that would make.

I personally would add some reinforcement to the frames like Charles suggests.  The box will help , but a few extra strips inside wouldn't hurt.

Be sure to post many pics along the way

You'll need front and rear suspensions and axles, so the easiest thing is just to extend an existing truck frame to the required length. I put a piece of 0.040" styrene between the kit frame rails, then add a top and bottom plate to match the kit frame and it seems to be strong enough to support a 0.040" sheet styrene body. I extend the frame with a patch like this:

image.png.c14dc9d9102ce498047961f9747a0fe7.png

For a more rigid frame, I have used Evergreen styrene, which comes in two different lengths which may suit your needs, but you still need to add suspensions front and rear.  I bought the square one and cut in in half down the middle, but they have a C-channel too:

image.png.62073655a7ca811238daa9e5e9b27403.png

This is for an 8" deep frame (8" is about 8mm in 1/25 scale) but you can get 9.5mm too which is good for a heavier truck

This may be an option. As of today I have acquired a box of old truck models(all built and from the 80's). Included in it are 2 White Freightliner trucks. I do not need them as I already have an SD and a SD/DD kit. I think these will end up donating the frame rails suspension and engine to the cause. I also have the spare new frame form the SD/DD kit as I am going to build it as a DD. 

In this box of old kits is a 35-40 foot trailer and 2 shorter trailers. They will donate to the cause also. What was going to cost me a lot of money in kits, is now going to be much more reasonable.