Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle now in stock and shipping

Brett Barrow

4 hours ago, Khils said:

This will be the review " I will " be waiting to read!     ....because I know he won't say anything until it has been checked & rechecked!         (still will buy two anyways)

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not a '68 Chevelle expert. Not even really a fan--I always thought the '69 was a MUCH better looking car (the whole grille of the '68 never looked right to me). But I will be comparing it to the AMT '69, and the AMT '68 El Camino, and a Danbury Mint '68 Elky I have just for overall size/shape relationships. Will be seeing if its chassis can be used under the AMT '69, and what other parts might be useful, and so forth, but I won't be getting into the weeds on upholstery patterns or radio knob size or details of that sort. I'll leave that to others. 

I'm mainly interested in the basic shape. If that's good, I'll be happy. And I'm expecting to be. It almost HAS to look better than the cheap Testor 1/24 diecast currently filling the '68 Chevelle spot on my shelf. B)

BTW, I'll be painting mine red with a black vinyl top, so DIBS on that scheme. :lol:

68Chevelle03.jpg.97adf438d32bdb353caa16bffb313e27.jpg

68Chevelle10.jpg.a18334f523e48686f87ce15f6c7dc8fe.jpg

Edited by Snake45

24 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

But I will be comparing it to the AMT '69, and the AMT '68 El Camino, and a Danbury Mint '68 Elky I have just for overall size/shape relationships. Will be seeing if its chassis can be used under the AMT '69

Exactly!!!

....besides......it will take fooooooorever to get one in this end of the cornfield ;)

Going to town today to see if anyone has the new Chevelle. The only thing I didn't like about the 1:1 '68's compared to the later models was the dash board.  I was never a fan of vinyl roofs on any vehicle and especially something with the roof shaped like this. The early vinyl roofs on the mainstay vehicles was to make everyone think you could afford a convertible. Now look at the shape of this roof and figure out just how that would fold into the rear deck. Even a tutone treatment brakes up the flow of the body lines. Just my opinion I know there are many that feel differently on this. That's why we get to build them the way we want them. 

12 hours ago, Khils said:

Exactly!!!

....besides......it will take fooooooorever to get one in this end of the cornfield ;)

I ordered Thursday night, it shipped on Friday and should be in NC by Christmas Eve. I would think if you had ordered it yesterday you would have had it by next Wednesday, even in corn country!

9 minutes ago, espo said:

Going to town today to see if anyone has the new Chevelle. The only thing I didn't like about the 1:1 '68's compared to the later models was the dash board.  I was never a fan of vinyl roofs on any vehicle and especially something with the roof shaped like this. The early vinyl roofs on the mainstay vehicles was to make everyone think you could afford a convertible. Now look at the shape of this roof and figure out just how that would fold into the rear deck. Even a tutone treatment brakes up the flow of the body lines. Just my opinion I know there are many that feel differently on this. That's why we get to build them the way we want them. 

The kit doesn't have a vinyl top. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Good. I was afraid they would do like AMT did on the El Camino.  

David, I'm with you! This particular car IMO looks its best without the vinyl top. I'd build mine one a solid color as I don't car for the two toning either. Same goes for the El Camino! I always thought it was a rather silly idea to put a vinyl top on a truck.

It spoils the nice flowing roofline that it has and I hate that little 'kickup' at the trailing edge of the roof pillar that the vinyl roof shape sports.

One of the worst offenders of those GM 1968-69 A bodies with a vinyl roof has to be the Buick Skylark. Absolutely terrible to my eyes and no offense to anyone that might own one. I just NEVER liked the looks of that!

On 12/22/2018 at 8:17 AM, mikemodeler said:

even in corn country!

On 12/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, Snake45 said:

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the vote of confidence

Ok guys...following your lead......jumping in head first...just ordered mine!   DIBS! .....all Orange, black stripes, black carpet/white vinyl interior.

Edited by Khils

Hmmm.......according to the USPS, looks like I'll be getting both models TODAY! I'm gonna sure open 'em up as soon as they're in my model room. ;)

If I get a chance and clear some things off the table, I'll take some pics and do a mini review of the Chevelle (and maybe the '69 Mustang).

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I ordered Thursday night, it shipped on Friday and should be in NC by Christmas Eve. I would think if you had ordered it yesterday you would have had it by next Wednesday, even in corn country!

I preordered mine and expected delivery is Dec. 26. Doesn't seem right someone who orders it now would eat it before me.

Just now, Classicgas said:

I preordered mine and expected delivery is Dec. 26. Doesn't seem right someone who orders it now would eat it before me.

I ordered mine Thursday night and it shipped out on Friday morning. From NJ to NC is a bit shorter bus ride than NJ to Minnysoda. In talking with their customer service department, they had a TON of orders to process on the Chevelle alone. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

47 minutes ago, Khils said:

Ok guys...following your lead......jumping in head first...just ordered mine!   DIBS! .....all Orange, black stripes, black carpet/white vinyl.

Okay, you got DIBS on orange, but I don't believe that was a factory color in '68. :unsure: Not that that should stop you from doing it, of course.  In fact, doing it in "Day Two" paint frees you up to use aftermarket wheels/tires, etc., too.B)

35 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Please do Bill, mine isn't gonna be here until Monday! Anxious to see what is inside the box.

As wonky as our Postal Service can be this time of year, it wouldn't surprise me to see it till Monday either. However recently I had something delivered on a Sunday, so here's hoping and waiting.

Just checked--mine arrived in Philly this morning at 10:19, and is scheduled to be delivered Monday, the 24th by 8:00 PM. But my post office has a sign up saying they'll be closed Monday at noon, so I guess I won't see mine until Wednesday. Oh well, something to look forward to. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Just checked--mine arrived in Philly this morning at 10:19, and is scheduled to be delivered Monday, the 24th by 8:00 PM. But my post office has a sign up saying they'll be closed Monday at noon, so I guess I won't see mine until Wednesday. Oh well, something to look forward to. B)

Lobby Hours and the hours the employees work are unrelated. They are there well before and after the lobby hours every day.

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Lobby Hours and the hours the employees work are unrelated. They are there well before and after the lobby hours every day.

Not at my joint. It's VERY small. They close up shop and lock the doors at 4:30 weekdays and Noon on Saturday. I've seen them go. The lobby remains open so you can still get to your PO box, but that's it. 

I guess I can live till Wednesday. I'll try, anyway. :lol: Hey, I never thought we'd see this kit (or the Boss 302 Mustang) until mid-February anyway--if EVER! :blink:B)

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Hmmm.......according to the USPS, looks like I'll be getting both models TODAY! I'm gonna sure open 'em up as soon as they're in my model room. ;)

If I get a chance and clear some things off the table, I'll take some pics and do a mini review of the Chevelle (and maybe the '69 Mustang).

As Picard would say, "Make it so." :-) I'm kidding, but, I am anxious to see how it looks. I didn't get a chance to go look for one, while I was out at work. I'm hoping it will make me want to swap the chassis into my '70 Modified Production class racer.