Model Cars Magazine Forum
greg133

Wanted: Information on Kits

Hi all, just joined and I really am trying to find a way to inexpensively get back into it. All the new or reissued kits I see (I do 1:24/1:25 cars) are pretty pricey --though I understand relative to 2018. My interest is American cars, so the Tamiya kits really aren't my thing; muscle cars, classic cars, ambulances, police cars, those kind of things. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to find or buy kits that aren't $30 a pop. I guess I'm just being a cheapo haha, but any info would be really helpful!

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by greg133
Adding information

If you are on Facebook they have many auction sites and you can get most of the mainstream kits for $8-$12 plus shipping. Just type in model car auction in the search.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

If you have an Ollie's outlet store near you they get kits once in a while, and if you have the time hit garage/estate, church rummage  sales, I average between 4-500 sales a year and have had some success and you wouldn't believe all the other cool stuff you can find also have had some luck at thrift stores, flea markets and little 2nd hand junk shops, and finally search out toy shows that may take place near you 

Edited by 440 Dakota

Thanks 440, I buy from estate sales all the time, other things mostly to resell as a side business on ebay,  that was before I got back into models, I'll be on the lookout this coming year. I'll check out Ollie's and the other things you mentioned. Appreciate the info!

Since you didn't put down your location I have NO idea where you're from, however if you are able to attend a swap meet you should be able to find a number of affordable kits for sale, also built ups, parts, etc.

Goodwill and Salvation Army stores sometimes get kits in as part of donations from people cleaning out houses and estates. Another thing to look for is model shows in your area. You might have to drive a bit but it can be worth it. Check out the show section here, big shows are advertised well in advance and they usually have large vendor sections with new and old kits, resin parts and everything in between. 

Others have mentioned some great places already and watch Hobby Lobby as they tend to do re-sets of their model section a couple of times a year. Lately they have put those discontinued models priced at 75% off, making for a real deal. Sometimes we buy kits to use for parts or trading and these are perfect for that.

Good Luck with your search, I know what you mean about kits getting pricey, there right at about the top dollar I feel their worth especially for the ones with ancient toolings  that get a box and decal upgrade so I don't buy many at retail any more I also have too many other hobbies that need money, maybe run a wanted ad on C L you  might get a hit, I've done it looking for VW parts and was being offered more stuff than I could deal with, I've also have bought kits at auto parts swap meets

Edited by 440 Dakota

1 hour ago, greg133 said:

Mobl, did you mean on FB Marketplace or just a general FB search?

Just a general search of Facebook.Thats how I found them. I think one was Model kits n bits r us (All capital letters). I can't remember the others I was part of. Unfortunately, I just closed my FB account earlier this week. Got lots of good deals on sealed kits, built ups and parts.

Later-

1 hour ago, greg133 said:

Thanks 440, I buy from estate sales all the time, other things mostly to resell as a side business on ebay,  that was before I got back into models, I'll be on the lookout this coming year. I'll check out Ollie's and the other things you mentioned. Appreciate the info!

Another source for acquiring various kits - HERE, on this trader forum!

You said you find stuff at estate sales, right? Well, when you find unusual and interesting car related items (this is a mostly car related site) Try posting them up here for trade along with what you're looking for. You might get what you want and someone else might get something they've been looking for.

It's fun, and I've found many of these members are fair, honest and happy to share stuff from their collections.

Another good source for cheap kits are vendors at model shows and contests. And you can have a hell of a good time hanging with other modelers. Check the show listings section of this web site. You can also check out the IPMS show listings on their web site, http://www.ipmsusa.org/.

8 minutes ago, vintagerpm said:

Another good source for cheap kits are vendors at model shows and contests. And you can have a hell of a good time hanging with other modelers. Check the show listings section of this web site. You can also check out the IPMS show listings on their web site, http://www.ipmsusa.org/.

To expand on what Mike said. Find a local model club. They will help you find local swap meets in your area. 

Also other forums (sorry to plug them) have for sale 

sections on their site. And you often find great deals! 

22 hours ago, greg133 said:

Sorry Nick, I intro'ed myself on the welcome page but not on here. I'm in PA

Welcome Greg, as this is a great place to be. Don't know if you've ever been to the NNL East Show in Wayne, N. J. but I hear it's the place to be in April. Check it out.

Greg... I have funds issues myself dont get much income from my disability so I have learned to be very creative in my searches for stuff.   garage sales...antique malls...etc. are a good place to look for them .    Myself I never sell them but do a bit of trading to get ones or stuff I need or want.   Even a hobby lobby one at 40% off is a stretch for me most times.  keep looking around. 

On 12/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, High octane said:

Since you didn't put down your location

His zip code, a specific location, and exactly what the forum rules require, is right there and visible in his profile.

Edited by Casey

I don't know what you're wanting to pay, or what you think is too much, but there are thousands of sweet deals on eBay if you shop carefully and don't get caught up in bidding idiocy. 

I just bought a Foose '48 Caddy for $15, and a '51 Chevy Fleetline to get a fastback roof for it for $12. Add about $8 each for shipping.

And a nice thing about eBay...you can almost always find exactly which kit you actually want, rather than buying-by-default whatever your local retail establishment happens to have.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:10 PM, greg133 said:

Mobl, did you mean on FB Marketplace or just a general FB search?

When you log into Facebook, enter model cars in the search bar and you should get a bunch of different choices. From my observation, there are some people on there trying to sell models and others trying to retire judging by the prices they have listed. Selling a kit readily available at HL , that you could buy with a coupon for $18 or less, for $20-30 PLUS SHIPPING, seems to me to be a bit unreasonable, but then again I am not in that game. I guess the saying is true- Buyer Beware and do your homework before shelling out big bucks for a kit. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't know what you're wanting to pay, or what you think is too much, but there are thousands of sweet deals on eBay if you shop carefully and don't get caught up in bidding idiocy. 

I just bought a Foose '48 Caddy for $15, and a '51 Chevy Fleetline to get a fastback roof for it for $12. Add about $8 each for shipping.

And a nice thing about eBay...you can almost always find exactly which kit you actually want, rather than buying-by-default whatever your local retail establishment happens to have.

And if you can't find exactly what you want TODAY, check tomorrow as it just might be there then!