Model Cars Magazine Forum

Straight onto the bench from the mailbox! 1968 Chevelle!

Superbird McMonte

There's some other niceties I see that should make this going together without a lot of hassle. I see the lack of a 'platform' for the interior which will go a long way in making sure the car sits right. One of my big complaints with Revell's models over the years is many of them sit too high right out of the box due to that 'platform' interior among other things. The interior looks to build on the other side of the chassis floor. Just like the 1:1.

Also, I like the fact that there's a separate frame. Makes painting those frame rails MUCH easier! Hmmm......pad printed redlines! I hope that they're all concentric and not printed by a drunken sailor which was the case with the Daytona kits years ago. ;)

Now my anticipation is on high tilt as I wait for mine............along with that '69 Mustang! B)

43 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Lookin' good Dominick! I see they molded the taillight end caps separate. That should make it easy if there's a '69 in the works. ;)

First thing I noticed, too. But a lot will depend on how they handle the lower body trim strip. I can't tell from the photos but I don't see separate strips on the chrome tree. I guess they could do a trim-stripped body as a '69 Malibu (non-SS). I see they have the vent window frames molded to the body, not separate pieces. (The '69 didn't have vents.) 

Did anyone else just slide/toss their amt 69s off the workbench; either actually or symbolically? :D

Seriously, this is looking really nice. If there are quibbles, they appear to be small. Can we get a better shot of the dash and seat upholstery? Pretty please?!

2 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

And the separate quarter panel extensions is kinda weird out

back there!?!

The separate quarter extensions must be for a 1969 issue down the road. Even the chrome tree has the bumpers and grill in an obvious secluded area to be replaced with the 69 bumpers and grill.

5C91B811-46C6-4426-82CC-C4DF966B212D.jpeg

Hot Damm ! I can't wait to stock up on these from the looks of the way they set up the rear fender caps they already have a 69 on paper just as long as they keep these going it's been way way to long we have only had the 69 I had a 68 in high school I have always wanted to do it in a model.!

From what I can see on the 'Bay with a couple sellers that have them listed, they're selling like hotcakes! Revell's got a definite winner on their hands which just goes to show a well proportioned model kit will sell itself. Lets hope the gaffes of past releases are far behind them and we get more good stuff like this down the road.

I can still think of a number of cars (popular) that would be nice to see on the hobby shelves and in my model room. If they're done right without major flub ups, that can only be good news for Revell.

17 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

From what I can see on the 'Bay with a couple sellers that have them listed, they're selling like hotcakes! Revell's got a definite winner on their hands which just goes to show a well proportioned model kit will sell itself. Lets hope the gaffes of past releases are far behind them and we get more good stuff like this down the road.

I can still think of a number of cars (popular) that would be nice to see on the hobby shelves and in my model room. If they're done right without major flub ups, that can only be good news for Revell.

MegaHobby had 300 orders for the 68 Chevelle to ship out Friday morning, basically the first day it was available to ship (Brett can confirm/correct this if I am off) so I would say it's going to do well out of the gate! Mine will be here tomorrow and while I won't start on it for a bit, I am excited to get one built.

1 minute ago, mikemodeler said:

MegaHobby had 300 orders for the 68 Chevelle to ship out Friday morning, basically the first day it was available to ship (Brett can confirm/correct this if I am off) so I would say it's going to do well out of the gate! Mine will be here tomorrow and while I won't start on it for a bit, I am excited to get one built.

I was one of those 300! :lol:

And I gotta say they didn't mess around getting it to me as I had it in my hands literally last evening. I was so tickled to get it that I had to do a write up for all to see! It'll be a bit before I get to mine as well...........I'm just glad to see finally see a PROPER version of this car out!

26 minutes ago, 66belair said:

I can’t wait to get mine, it’s looks like the knockednit out of the park. There is so much this kit could be used for. That separate frame is awesome. Would work great in a resto shop diorama.

Depends on how accurate you want to be.  The GM A-Body was not fully boxed, some parts C-Channel.  But, you could just say its beefed up
frame_powder0008.jpg

5 hours ago, 66belair said:

I can’t wait to get mine, it’s looks like the knockednit out of the park. There is so much this kit could be used for. That separate frame is awesome. Would work great in a resto shop diorama.

I was thinking the same thing! I could see the body sitting on saw horses while the frame is sitting off to the side with the drivetrain installed.

16 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

The separate quarter extensions must be for a 1969 issue down the road. Even the chrome tree has the bumpers and grill in an obvious secluded area to be replaced with the 69 bumpers and grill.

5C91B811-46C6-4426-82CC-C4DF966B212D.jpeg

It would be indeed nice to get a decently detailed '69 in the future also!!

David S.

Edited by mod3l Lover

Great pictures, and thanks for taking the time to do those extra detail shots! The more I see, the more I know I gottahavit! Rear seat back looks a bit "angular", but that's a quibble I have with most Revell kits, and can be much improved with sandpaper and files. GOTTAHAVIT!!

68ss back seat.jpg