Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevy Chevelle SS 396...........My take

MrObsessive

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I would bet on a '68 or '69 427 Yenko version from Revell, all debate regarding the legitimate existence of a '68 Yenko 427 aside. -_- Not sure if Revell still has the Yenko licensing or not, but they've released Yenko versions of both the '69 Camaro and Nova kits previously (yes, it was a different company, understood), but I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch. A non-SS grille,  a bench seat(?), some steels wheels and dog dish hubcaps, and some Yenko decals and boom, you've got a 'new' '69 Yenko Chevelle 427 kit.

Don't forget about the 69 Yenko Corvette! Hopefully they release a base or COPO version.

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

IMO this kit is in Tamiya territory. My only beef is molded in wipers. Home run Revell!

I wouldn't go quite that far - there are no poly-caps to hold the wheels, or metal transfer emblems on the Revell model. :D

All kidding aside, it looks like a really well-done kit!  Too bad that the car itself does nothing for me, but there will be lots of happy modelers out there, I'm sure.

18 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Since Revell/Monogram has licencing for Baldwin Motion, how about one of these?? ;)

Related image

Related image 

You can kitbash a model of that car right now, using existing kit and aftermarket parts (corrected taillights). 

I wonder why it has RS on the grille and front fenders?:wacko:

19 hours ago, Can-Con said:

IF they did the same with the Chevelle they could do a '69 Malibu with the side trim and a flat hood plus maybe a small block engine. [or at least some hop-up parts for the big block]

b_1969%20Chevrolet%20Chevelle-08-09.jpg

I’m hoping for a ‘69 Malibu. Came home from the hospital in one. Silver, hubcaps, 307, 4spd, and a bench seat. 

Tim, I agree - Revell USA was just hitting its stride when the rug was pulled out from under them.

Thanks (old) Revell (USA) for this great kit!

52 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

I’m hoping for a ‘69 Malibu. Came home from the hospital in one. Silver, hubcaps, 307, 4spd, and a bench seat. 

Again, you can build that now from the AMT kit. You'll need a flat hood, but someone makes it aftermarket. 

Fun fact: Most if not all of the photos in the '69 Chevelle showroom brochure are actually retouched '68 photos. You can actually see where they retouched them if you look hard enough on an original. :lol:

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You can kitbash a model of that car right now, using existing kit and aftermarket parts (corrected taillights). 

That's true Snake but it can also be said for pretty well any pre-'73 Chevelle you could mention.

Far as that goes, you could even build the exact same car Revell just issued using the AMT '69, one of the '68 conversion kits and a suitably detailed donor chassis for example. ;)

Edited by Can-Con

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

According to "Baldwin-Motion : Tales of a Supercar Builder" ( Martyn L. Schorr ,et al. , c.2012 ) , that car in-particular had its 'SS' emblems replaced with 'RS' as per the owner's request . It's also the only B-M '69 Chevelle whose original 396 was retained ! Yes , it was built to Phase III specs ; the owner insisted upon keeping the car 396-powered . The owner was ( is ? )  a wealthy Rancher in Mexico ; he ordered two Motion cars , one of which was this car , the other was a Rallye Green Phase III 427 Camaro .

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

According to "Baldwin-Motion : Tales of a Supercar Builder" ( Martyn L. Schorr ,et al. , c.2012 ) , that car in-particular had its 'SS' emblems replaced with 'RS' as per the owner's request . It's also the only B-M '69 Chevelle whose original 396 was retained ! Yes , it was built to Phase III specs ; the owner insisted upon keeping the car 396-powered . The owner was ( is ? )  a wealthy Rancher in Mexico ; he ordered two Motion cars , one of which was this car , the other was a Rallye Green Phase III 427 Camaro .

Interesting! I don't have that book. Does it have a lot of photos and a lot of great info like that? 

47 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting! I don't have that book. Does it have a lot of photos and a lot of great info like that? 

It's a fantastic book ; lots and lots of photos , vintage ads , history , and wonderful text . Martyn Schorr was the brainchild behind High Performance CARS magazine ; he's the book's author. Not sure if it's still in print .

Here are some comparison shots of the AMT 68 El Camino re-issue and the Revell Chevelle for your enjoyment!

68ChevellElky01.jpg

68ChevellElky02.jpg

68ChevellElky03.jpg

68ChevellElky04.jpg

It looks like, if one wanted to, they could convert the El Camino A/C dash to the Chevelle, along with all the corresponding A/C unit from the El Camino to "ride in style" so to speak.

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

It's a fantastic book ; lots and lots of photos , vintage ads , history , and wonderful text . Martyn Schorr was the brainchild behind High Performance CARS magazine ; he's the book's author. Not sure if it's still in print .

Thanks for the details. I'm very familiar with the name--I still have dozens of those old mags. Do you have Joe Oldham's book? It's a good one, too. 

Off to Amazon....B)

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

Here are some comparison shots of the AMT 68 El Camino re-issue and the Revell Chevelle for your enjoyment!

68ChevellElky01.jpg

68ChevellElky02.jpg

Very cool! Have you tried to fit the Revell grille into the AMT Elky body? Reason I ask is, if/when Revell brings out a '69, I'd like to kitbash a '69 Elky. B)

Mr. O already showed us that the Revell grille is wider than the AMT '69 Chevelle body. So is the AMT '68 Elky, so I'm very hopeful on this point....B)

Here are some pictures of the Chevelle Grille in the Elky, and vise versa.  They don't work.

First up, Chevelle Grille in El Camino

CGNE01.jpg

CGNE02.jpg

Next, El Camino Grille in Chevelle.

egncb01.jpg

egncb02.jpg

While someone COULD, if they REALLY wanted to, I don't see a reason to do that.

25 minutes ago, RDean58 said:

Here are some pictures of the Chevelle Grille in the Elky, and vise versa.  They don't work.

First up, Chevelle Grille in El Camino

CGNE01.jpg

CGNE02.jpg

Next, El Camino Grille in Chevelle.

egncb01.jpg

egncb02.jpg

While someone COULD, if they REALLY wanted to, I don't see a reason to do that.

Thanks! There's no reason to swap the '68 grilles, but if Revell does a '69, maybe its grille could be used to do a '69 El Camino. B)

Edited by Snake45

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks! There's no reason to swap the '68 grilles, but if Revell does a '69, maybe its grille could be used to do a '69 El Camino. B)

I could see swapping the '68 parts if you wanted the bumper guards on the Chevelle or an El Camino sans bumper guards.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the details. I'm very familiar with the name--I still have dozens of those old mags. Do you have Joe Oldham's book? It's a good one, too. 

No problem , man . It's an excellent book !

I don't have Oldham's Confessions of a Muscle Car Tester ( I believe that's its title...?) , but I will eventually get a copy (out-of-print + big money !) . I miss ol' Joe . I was in contact with him ( via Facebook ) until his untimely death ; I keep in infrequent contact with his son Scott .

I love the WIP that another forum member is working on ---- the '69 Phase III "RS" Chevelle and its stablemate '69 Phase III Camaro ; his '68 "Prototype" is looking keen , too ! 

20 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

No problem , man . It's an excellent book !

I don't have Oldham's Confessions of a Muscle Car Tester ( I believe that's its title...?) , but I will eventually get a copy (out-of-print + big money !) . I miss ol' Joe . I was in contact with him ( via Facebook ) until his untimely death ; I keep in infrequent contact with his son Scott .

I love the WIP that another forum member is working on ---- the '69 Phase III "RS" Chevelle and its stablemate '69 Phase III Camaro ; his '68 "Prototype" is looking keen , too ! 

I ordered the Schorr book on Amazon yesterday, and another one of his just to get free shipping. 

The Oldham book is great. He confesses to just pulling dragstrip times out of his rear end when "stuff happened" and they couldn't actually get to a strip to test the car. :lol:

On 12/27/2018 at 10:24 PM, 1972coronet said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0760355606/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1546227046&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Just curious, is the AMT '69 an AMT tool (originally), or was it one of the MPC tools they acquired? I ask because it seems from what I've read over the years that MPC was notorious for the 1/26 or 1/27 scaling of their 1/25 cars! The differences in AMT vs. Revell bodies got me wondering about that...