Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevy Chevelle SS 396...........My take

MrObsessive

8 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Just curious, is the AMT '69 an AMT tool (originally), or was it one of the MPC tools they acquired? I ask because it seems from what I've read over the years that MPC was notorious for the 1/26 or 1/27 scaling of their 1/25 cars! The differences in AMT vs. Revell bodies got me wondering about that...

It was always an AMT tool, reworked from the midyear-introduced '68 kit. MPC didn't do a Chevelle that year at all. 

On 12/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, MrObsessive said:

OK, we've heard the rumors, we've seen the test shots and now this one is FINALLY in our hands! Mine arrived about an hour ago and upstairs it went immediately to my build room and off came the plastic. I usually don't open up models out of the bags ('cept for the body) till I'm ready to build it. It saves a lot of grief as far as lost parts and scratched up glass/chrome.

So............here are some pics I took (Superbird McMonte took some good pics too) along with a description of what we're getting.

P1016505-vi.jpg

From what I can see of the body and comparing it to pics I have on my hard disc, the body lines are pretty much spot on. Chevy fans might pick out a thing or two which might be questionable, but to my eyes Revell did a fantastic job of capturing the new for '68 A-Body and it simply blows AMT's '69 away as far as scale fidelity.

P1016506-vi.jpg

Interesting what they did to the taillight end caps. Could there be a '69 in the works? I'd sure hope so as that seems to be the more preferred model among some. I personally like the '68 a bit better as I like the vent windows------a feature GM got rid of starting with the '69 A body hardtops.

P1016508-vi.jpg
P1016507-vi.jpg

One thing I do see that I know a little something about is the wiper placement. Seems as though if you ordered a base model 300, your wipers were exposed due to the shape of the hood. Malibu's and SS models had the hood shaped that the wipers were more hidden. As we'll see the hood has the correct shape, but Revell chose to mold the wipers on top of the cowl at what would be the be the very base of the windshield.

Not a hard fix at all, but once again it comes to mind if there's a future version we're not aware of and this is a cost cutting move.

P1016509-vi.jpg
P1016510-vi.jpg

NICE chassis! Very good engraving and as we'll see, there's separate frame rails which is a bonus when it comes to painting.

P1016511-vi.jpg
P1016512-vi.jpg

The tree holding the separate frame and exhaust.

P1016513-vi.jpg

Interior bits and pieces on this tree.

P1016514-vi.jpg

Engine parts. Looks like there's just one version of this engine......a 396 with a four speed transmission.

P1016515-vi.jpg

The cowl type hood with nice engraving for the faux vents.

P1016516-vi.jpg

Nice pad printed redlines and on my example here, the redlines are on nice and are concentrically done.

No 'drunken' mishaps with circles that aren't concentric in the least!

P1016517-vi.jpg

Nice chrome tree.......I didn't take this out of the plastic as I want this to stay put when the time comes for me to build this. Anything that can ward off scratches is a major plus.

P1016518-vi.jpg

Clear red taillight lenses with metal pins no doubt for mounting the wheels.

Forgot to take a pic, but there's separate glass for the front and rear and separate vent windows which is a good idea in case there's a '69 coming.

I think this kit (along with the '69 Mustang) will be major sellers for Revell and one can only hope they stay on a roll with accurate, well proportioned kits to keep us lunatic fringers happy!

Thanks for lookin'!

Well done sir!!!... Thank you! ☺️

On 12/26/2018 at 1:17 PM, Snake45 said:

The COPO 9562 Chevelles (which is what the Yenkos were) seem to have come through with Rallys standard. And Yenko replaced those on many with the Atlas mags (as seen in the Revell Yenko Camaro kit). So, no dog dishes, please. B)

I thought those were Fenton 5-spoke mags on the Yenkos????.... 

Love the 68 and I have just started working on my old 69 AMT kit but my enthusiasm is going down hill looking at this 68.  I have always like the 68 SS with the pin stripe at the body line instead of the lower stripe that comes with this new kit.  My question where can you get a decent pin stripe decal?   I am at a loss,   I don't think Keith Mark's has pin stripe decals for any kit that would work on the 68 Chevelle.  Thanks for anyone's input.  

36 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Neat looking wheel selection...some look very similar to those of other brands of that era.

Fenton produced some of the nicest-looking wheels of the era . I must admit that my favourite wheel is the Motor Wheels ** Spyder ( I've loved them since I first built a model with them back in the mid-70's ) . 

** Motor Wheel ( "MW" in a styllised font ) was an OEM supplier to the Big 4 . No affiliation with Fenton .

Edited by 1972coronet

One of my favorite 60s style wheels were these American Racing wheels...called the 'CP 200' I think.   My brother had an '80s vintage set that looked like these (rough textured gray spokes) on a '68 Camaro SS 396 he had for about a decade..I think I have a set in 1/25th somewhere in my stash.

DSC01106.JPG

On 12/29/2018 at 1:19 AM, 1972coronet said:

No problem , man . It's an excellent book !

I don't have Oldham's Confessions of a Muscle Car Tester ( I believe that's its title...?) , but I will eventually get a copy (out-of-print + big money !) . I miss ol' Joe . I was in contact with him ( via Facebook ) until his untimely death ; I keep in infrequent contact with his son Scott .

I love the WIP that another forum member is working on ---- the '69 Phase III "RS" Chevelle and its stablemate '69 Phase III Camaro ; his '68 "Prototype" is looking keen , too ! 

The two Schorr books arrived today. Fabulous stuff, both of them! I'll be happily reading for a couple weeks! Where have these been all my life? 

Thanks again for the heads-up! B)

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The two Schorr books arrived today. Fabulous stuff, both of them! I'll be happily reading for a couple weeks! Where have these been all my life? 

Thanks again for the heads-up! B)

Glad that you found them and are enjoying them ; very high quality books .

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Glad that you found them and are enjoying them ; very high quality books .

The other one I got is Schorr's Day One, which looks like it's gonna be good too. It's hardback but was very reasonably priced. B)

9 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The other one I got is Schorr's Day One, which looks like it's gonna be good too. It's hardback but was very reasonably priced. B)

I've still got to get me a copy of that . I love the (phantom) 1971 LS-6 Chevelle on the cover ! Too bad that G.M. didn't make that engine available in the Chevelle (though , mysteriously , the 1971 LS-5 "gained" 5hp over its 1970 predecessor : 360hp vs 365hp --- after a 2-point-drop in compression !) . 

If you're interested I can link Schorr's facebook page here .